2007 3.6L oil change- it sucked - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 6 Old 04-18-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2007 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
2007 3.6L oil change- it sucked

Changed a lot of oil in my time but this one was by far the worst experience. 16 screws or so to remove the 2 belly pans. And why??? An open element oil filter works GREAT when you have it up on TOP of the engine. What stupid engineer hangs it underneath the engine and over the axle?

With the TDI engines I liked doing top side oil changes with a Pela oil extractor. Especially in winter.

Anyway- enough whining...

The drain plug on the plastic oil filter cap. Some yahoo had already stripped the 6mm allen out before I even had a chance to unspin it.

Do these strip out often? Anyone have the part number for this? Is there a better version with maybe a hex nut/bolt on it so it won't strip out again?

Without draining it it made a BIG mess. Probably better if I had it up on a lift- but don't have one. So I was on my back and the Touareg was up on ramps. Oil all over the floor, all over my shirt. Grrr!

2007 Touareg V6
2014 Passat 5 speed manual
2003 Silverado 8.1L 6 speed manual
1977 Chevy K20 off road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-19-2019 Thread Starter

Garage
So spent some time researching this. Sounds like that stupid little aluminum drain plug likes to have its allen stripped out so most just dump the whole filter cap at once. No thanks. I lost a good work T-shirt due to how much oil splashed on the sleeve.

I did find this:

https://www.gruvenparts.com/audi-vw-...ilter-housing/

Which is an aluminum piece- the whole thing. And the drain plug is a 19mm hex head just like the oil pan drain plug.

Only thing I'm unsure about is they want you to use a different oil filter:

"Use oil filter part number 021-115-562 (021115562) or equivalent with our metal housing. If your parts department requires a vehicle type, tell them “1995 VW Golf GTI VR6”. This is the older, vastly superior cartridge filter with the metal end caps. VW, in their infinite cost savings wisdom, superseded it with a cheaper, cardboard end filter (021-115-562A). Please make sure to order filter 021-115-562 oil filter (or equivalent) as it is the superior filter for these engines, and will fit correctly with this housing."

Were the metal end caps a cost savings issue? Or was there some other issue? Find it odd that these metal ended filters are actually a few bucks cheaper than the plastic ended OEM filters.

Thoughts?

2007 Touareg V6
1977 Chevy K20 off road
post #3 of 6 Old 04-19-2019

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
One word.....Fumoto

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-19-2019

Touareg: 2017 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
Fumoto won’t help with the filter cap, unfortunately. I do like mine for the pan drain, though.

The plug you’re looking for is part number: WHT-005-237

Can be had for about $7 from a number of online parts shops. I wouldn’t bother with the aluminum cap as it’s not annodized it will corrode like crazy. The best thing would be to buy a fresh plug (and maybe a spare) and don’t be as ham-fisted as the previous owner.

2017 Touareg Wolfsburg 3.6FSI Canyon Gray
2012 Touareg TDi Lux Canyon Gray - Gone to the TDi afterlife
The Following User Says Thank You to FinallyTDI For This Useful Post:
77 K20 (04-22-2019)
post #5 of 6 Old 04-22-2019 Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, that aluminum would corrode for sure now that I thought about it. They use a lot of de-icer here in winter and it loves to eat pretty much all metal.

One thing I've noticed now that I've started the Touareg a few times since the oil change... my start up chain rattle noise is almost all the way gone. Before I had the Castrol OE oil from a VW dealer. I bought some LIQUI MOLY VW spec oil and even after sitting for 24 hours the rattle is almost completely gone at startup. Before I could hear it inside with the doors and hood closed. Now with the door open and hood up it is hard to detect.

I would have never guessed changing the oil brand could make a difference to something like that.

But since that brand isn't locally available I was planning before my change to switch to Mobil 1 European formula. Not sure if I want to try that or not now.

2007 Touareg V6
1977 Chevy K20 off road
post #6 of 6 Old 04-22-2019

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Just buy the liquid moly from IDparts.com.

Very reasonable shipping.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode