'13 TDI Faults galore - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Unhappy '13 TDI Faults galore

Got the Treg back from the dealership a few days ago after new pads/sensors/rotors, a new throttle inlet boot pipe, and a detail. Drove fine until today. When trying to start the car it is throwing an ECS Fault, Transmission Fault, Airbag Fault, Glow Plug Fault, and an Adaptive Lighting Fault.

Sounds like someone might have mucked something up. Maybe a wire harness or ???

I wanted to get your opinion on the matter. I'm definitely calling the dealer first thing in the morning. They kept it for four days, claiming they were waiting for the inlet boot pipe to come in the mail and that it was dangerous to drive with a small oil seep coming out of the old inlet boot pipe. I'm starting to get suspicious that they screwed something up, didn't tell me, and it took them a couple days to get it to work.

Full disclosure: Malone stage 2 software and Rawtech DPF/Cat/DEF delete. I was considering attempting a re-install of the Malone tune just for fun, but figured it probably would not have started if they had messed with the software. I told them about all this before they began work, but it's not the first time they didn't listen to me. I had a Tiguan with APR stage 1 tune that they overwrote after I explicitly told them not to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

I neglected to mention that the tachometer cut out the last time it ran and the engine seemed to be idling at higher RPMs than normal. It wont start at all now.
post #3 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Wait, wait, wait...... so your dealer of choice already caused you headaches in the past on previous modified vehicles, but you took your current modified vehicle to them this time around too? Interesting........

With regards to all your faults, I'd definitely give it back to them to fix, and being that it's a '13, you should be covered for mostly anything under the extended emissions warranty..... but I don't know how you'll invoke that coverage given your mods and full disclosure.

Keep us posted.... many of us are weary of doing any mods for fear of this kind of situation while still under the coverage.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
Wait, wait, wait...... so your dealer of choice already caused you headaches in the past on previous modified vehicles, but you took your current modified vehicle to them this time around too? Interesting........

With regards to all your faults, I'd definitely give it back to them to fix, and being that it's a '13, you should be covered for mostly anything under the extended emissions warranty..... but I don't know how you'll invoke that coverage given your mods and full disclosure.

Keep us posted.... many of us are weary of doing any mods for fear of this kind of situation while still under the coverage.....

Thanks for your constructive comment

Sorry if I was misleading. I don't have a lot of choices where I live and figured loyalty is worth something. I've been taking my Volkswagens to this dealer for ten years now. They've messed up once and owned it.

I was fully aware of what I was doing when I installed the mods and wont be trying to invoke voided warranties. If you mod your car in this manner, kiss the warranty goodbye.

Not trying to rip off Volkswagen. Just want my car to work
post #5 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

I just checked all the fuses in the driver and passenger side fuse panels and didn't see anything blown. Does anyone have any ideas? I did notice the panel under the glove box in the passenger foot well was loose and a screw was on the floorboard. Is there anything up in there that would be a common denominator between all the issues i'm seeing?
post #6 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
While you're scratching your head, check for a weak battery or bad battery ground. Low voltage can light up the Christmas tree.

Gary, 13 TDI, Myakka City Florida
The Following User Says Thank You to Xcentric For This Useful Post:
BoilerBrad (1 Week Ago)
post #7 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Without a VCDS scan, I can't think of too much to add.

VW will not work on a vehicle with a tune. The best case is that they flash it back to factory and then fix it under warranty, without charging you for the free update.

Not much use asking the dealer not to flash it. VW HQ pretty much demands them to flash it.

With the way the dealer computer is now 24/7 hooked to the VW mothership, the diagnostic software might even refuse to do anything except demand a flash as step one.

Make sure the battery has a full charge and look under the hood around the air intake. Make sure that all the wiring harness appear to be connected and fully clicked together. I could see many of these codes appearing IF the dealer had unhooked a engine wiring connector, half way plugged it in, and the connector then vibrated loose.

Follow the wires from the glowplug back as far as you can. Ditto for the Air Intake.

That's all I got folks. Good Night.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickyt For This Useful Post:
BoilerBrad (1 Week Ago)
post #8 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post

VW will not work on a vehicle with a tune. The best case is that they flash it back to factory and then fix it under warranty, without charging you for the free update.

Not much use asking the dealer not to flash it. VW HQ pretty much demands them to flash it.

With the way the dealer computer is now 24/7 hooked to the VW mothership, the diagnostic software might even refuse to do anything except demand a flash as step one.

Make sure the battery has a full charge and look under the hood around the air intake. Make sure that all the wiring harness appear to be connected and fully clicked together. I could see many of these codes appearing IF the dealer had unhooked a engine wiring connector, half way plugged it in, and the connector then vibrated loose.

Follow the wires from the glowplug back as far as you can. Ditto for the Air Intake.

Very helpful, Thank you!
post #9 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Well, I had it towed to the dealer. They confirmed the battery is OK and told me it's a 'CAN-BUS communications problem'. However, they have no idea where the issue lies - a bad connection, broken wire, could be anything. I asked if they unplugged anything when they did the work on it last week and they assured me they did not. They also say they did the good-old tug test on everything they touched. They also said it's likely not related to the ECM. I gave them the go-ahead for a few hours of diagnostics and troubleshooting.
post #10 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post

My dealer sells flashes. Not sure if they would flash a TDI but they advertise tunes there, and not just the warranty covered ones from APR.

2014 Touareg TDI LUX
yrktreg TCM flash
AutoHold retrofit
A Few VAGCOM mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode