Air suspension conversion to spring suspension - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 04-02-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Air suspension conversion to spring suspension

I have replaced my compressor once after a discomforting constant running gear messages. Replaced the two front suspensions completely when their balloons failed to retain air, still the running gear stuff didn't stop. Though the balloons do inflate to capacity, and raises the car higher when the option is activated.

Now the two front suspensions have completely failed again in less than a year of above replacements. My mechanic checked and fingered the compressor as the culprit. It's not producing good enough pressure while still making the humming noise to indicate it's working. I'm not buying that compressor again I want to convert to spring suspensions (all 4 sides) and do away with the troublesome balloons and compressor, I need to rest from their issues.

But my fear is, will this cause any problem of any kind on the T-reg funky sensors, or with the stability of the car at cruise speed? has any one tried this? my mechanic says there won't be any issues, but I need urgent advise based on experience pls, before I get things completely messed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-02-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2005 V8
It is possible, but you have to use OEM parts to have stability and reliability of the suspension
But, You gonna Need to remove all the electrical parts as well and do some programming as you will have error message all the time if you will not remove enough parts. But hav you tried to recalibrate the suspension and try to have different approach to a problem? Sometimes the problem is much more simple as it appears kind regards, Nikoloz
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I can't vouch for this particular kit but I have in the past used their air bag replacements for an Allroad and was very happy with the results. https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...24_pid164.html

2006 V10 Touareg Offroad Gray
2010 BMW 535 Xdrive Msport Wagon

post #4 of 11 Old 04-11-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for your input Nikoloz, I actually went ahead to change the air suspensions with genuine spring type shocks and so far stability is ok, the car is balanced, now I drive the T-reg like it's a tank, unlike before when I approach a small bump with extreme caution. but I have not done any electrical repairs and some programming on the T-reg ever since so the error messages (running gear, etc) has intensified. Recalibrate the suspensions? well I didn't know about that, my mechanic didn't mention it either. I'll get the electricals sorted and do some programming asap. I'll be on the watch out, but I think I'm cool with the spring shocks for now.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-11-2015
Touareg Mechanic

glad you have done successfully what you was planning to do please report what electrical mods you will perform and solutions for other in the future thank you, kind regards, Nikoloz
post #6 of 11 Old 04-11-2015 Thread Starter

Hi Linder, thanks I've seen the kits you're talking about, I purchased complete coil spring shocks for the replacement. My issue is with the WABCO compressor not the balloons. I've replaced this compressor once at quite a cost and didn't get the desired result. I'm pretty scared of another purchase now. If I can fix this WABCO pump with genuine OEM kits and it's fine for use again then it's ok. At least I have two bad sets.

One thing I equally observed with my T-reg now is that without the compressor humming and trying to iinflate the balloons, the car now accelerates faster unlike before when I have to give the damn compressor some time to finish its job before I can move otherwise the car will be sluggish. Now I start the engine and take off smartly, I'm enjoying it.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-11-2015 Thread Starter

Sure thing Nikoloz I will definitely revert. thanks again.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-11-2015
Touareg Mechanic

welcome mate good luck to you and many trouble less miles
post #9 of 11 Old 07-03-2015

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Hi, I just got myself a fairly used 2006 V10 Touareg with 110250km, my problem is anytime I ran into little pothole, I hear a loud noise on the suspension as if the arm and the tie rods are worn, I have changed my shock settings from sport to comfort and the third one but still the same.Your advise pls
post #10 of 11 Old 07-03-2015

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olatunde View Post
Hi, I just got myself a fairly used 2006 V10 Touareg with 110250km, my problem is anytime I ran into little pothole, I hear a loud noise on the suspension as if the arm and the tie rods are worn, I have changed my shock settings from sport to comfort and the third one but still the same.Your advise pls
Time to replace some swing arm bushes.
This is a pretty typical maintenance item. When it's needed depends a lot on the type of terrain the vehicle has been driven over. I would take a close look at upper and lower control arms.
Do a search for "control arm bushes", and you will find plenty on the subject. Just maintenance, nothing to be concerned with.

Stuart...

2008 V6 TDI, Air Suspension, ACC with Front Assist, Paddle Shifter, RNS510, Leather Seats, BI Xenons, 4 Zone Climatronic, Sunroof, Towbar & Trailer Module,Fiscon Bluetooth. Reversing Camera, Front Fog Lamps Xenon 3000K, Redarc TowPro Brake Controller, T1 Door Warning Lamps, T1 Under Seat Drawer, Alloy Skid Plate, 5ton Winch, Cayenne (Green Dot) Front and Rear Sway Bars, Performance Tune by Oettinger, Retrofitted 6 Piston Brembo Front Brake Callipers, Custom Sports Steering Wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode