Club Touareg Forum banner

Lurching in low revs 2007 2.5 TDi

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  damitchda 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Need some help or suggestions on a fault on my Treg.
Problem usually happens when driving around 30-40mph.
Car shifts into gear and sits around 1200rpm while driving then starts to lurch as if the revs are too low for the gear selected.
I apply a little pressure to the accelerator and it stops but comes back as soon as I ease of the gas and try to cruise at the 30-40 mph
It feels as if the accelerator pedal could be the problem but im just guessing.
Car has no clunks etc or hard shifts when changing gear and no error codes with VCDS.
I have checked the Forum and could not find anything that related to this fault or I may have missed it:frown2:
Anyone had the same problems?

#3 ·
reset the gearbox and check the ATF level

Reset
- ignition but don't start
- throttle fully down and hold for 15 seconds
- release throttle
- ignition off
-key out

ATF level check
ATF Level, Checking and Filling
The ATF level is specified by a permanently installed overflow tube (#2) in the oil pan.

The ATF level is checked when fluid is a specific temperature and with engine running. The ATF temperature is read out by the Vehicle Diagnosis, Testing and Information System VAS 5051B . If the test temperature has been reached, the sealing plug in the oil pan is removed to check the ATF. Marty
Test temp is 30 C

Reactions: damitchda
#4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.
The car does run slightly better in Sport but still has the occasional lurch.
Will check the ATF level and will do a fluid replacement as per nikoloz post regarding DIY Tranny fluid change as the engine has over 120k and has never had this done.

Will revert back with the results

#5 ·
Do try the gearbox reset. Only takes a minute!

The car then learns how you drive.

It may not be the answer but it might help.

Everyone should reset their box regularly.

#6 ·
Well had planned to do the fluid change at the weekend when my sons friend popped in buy and said he would check it out ( Hes a VAG mechanic) He plugged in the VCDS and did some checks 10mins later and he found that the rev count from the tranny and engine were out of sync. He said its down to the Dealers to see if there is a software update and then a tranny reset via the cpu and that should solve it.
Will let you know how it goes.

#7 ·
Did you try the gearbox reset I suggested?

#8 ·
Yeh I did try it first and it made no difference also recoded to different regions and also made no difference

#9 ·
Just had the Transmission oil changed as everything was up to date and the discrepency in the revs was not an issue.
Car now drives like a dream, the mechanic at the VW dealership said the tranny only gave up 2lt of oil so was well below.
Thanks for the recomendations problem now solved.
:grin2::grin2::grin2:

#10 ·
Just an update on the problem.The car lasted about a week after the oil change and reverted back to its old shuddering....
I had the camshaft changed and various other bits and bobs still no change.Tried many different mechanics and not 1 of them could come up with a solution to the low rev misfire/shudder.
It was then by total accident when looking through E-Bay that I came accross an EGR bypass kit ( pipe and blanking flange) for around £35 from Poland.
I had tried everything except the EGR so thought give it a go.
After 15 mins fitting the kit took the car for a run ( with warning lights for engine management flashing) and low and behold the problem was gone.
I have been driving it now for several months and its still running perfect ( with engine man light blanked off with a piece of tape lol ). I have been told to get a remap to get rid of the warning light but the tape does the job.
Only have to put the bad /Blocked EGR piping back on for MOT although the emissions will not be picked up during the test but just wanted to be on the safe side.
Being honest I have spent over £4k trying to fix this problem and a £35 bypass kit did the job.
Hope this helps any other T reg drivers out there with the same problem.
Forgot to mention that it was a BPE engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.