Catalytic Convertor EPA warranty - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > Engine, Transmission and Exhaust

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 05-10-2012   #1

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Catalytic Convertor EPA warranty

I had a problem with catalytic converter after dealer change ignition coins last week on my Touareg 2004 V6. I found that is common issue after replacement of ignition coins.
After I reported issue, they "update software" and reset readiness codes, and fault codes have not returned. But they stated - if fault re-appears both catalytic converters may need replacement. Cost of replacement would be 4000$!?
I saw that some members refer to federal law - EPA regulations for warranty.
http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt
Dealer didn't mentioned anything regarding that. I send them e-mail and still waiting for response.
Could someone please advice me did I covered by this regulation or not? Yes or NO? I am not familiar with US regulations.
I had 70k miles on my Treg 2004.
Thank you in advance.

Old 05-10-2012   #2
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Looks to me like the catalytic converters would be covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles. Can you find out the exact date when your Touareg was placed into service? That would be the date it was titled to the first owner. If it's after May 10th 2004, it would still be in warranty. If it's before that date, you're probably screwed unless VW chips in some goodwill toward the replacement. If it's more than 8 years and you can get VW to pay anything at all, it would be a win.

"I am not an attorney"

Old 05-10-2012   #3

Thank you very much for prompt response!
According to my documentation its unfortunately older than 8 years (couple of months)...but I will try - nothing to lose, 4000k hurts...
Old 05-10-2012   #4
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanMN View Post
According to my documentation its unfortunately older than 8 years (couple of months)...but I will try - nothing to lose, 4000k hurts...
I would try to work with the dealer service manager and see if they will plead your case with VW. You're barely past the 8 years, and below 80,000 miles. Maybe you can get VW to cover the parts and you pay the labor, or something like that. I had a 1987 Jetta that broke the timing belt right after the warranty ran out. Serious engine damage, bent valves and such. Car was barely out of warranty but dealer got VW to supply the parts. I only had to pay the labor. It was still a lot of money, but a whole lot less than it could have been.
Old 05-10-2012   #5

It would be great if my dealership reject to make repairs. I will know tomorrow what their response is. I strongly believe that is connected with this ignition coins changes, but it is almost impossible to prove…Anyway, thank you very much for helping me.
Old 05-10-2012   #6
BANNED

Touareg: 2004 V8
run a bottle of acetone through your tank (at your own risk) Should clean the catalytic converter. Google it
Old 05-10-2012   #7
Supporting Member

If my Treg had a catalytic converter issue at 270,000 miles (not 70,000) I might consider that. Otherwise no way. But that's just me. Lol.
Old 06-12-2012   #8

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanMN View Post
4million would be a big hit financially

If you had a missfire from bad ignition coils it can cause premature failure of your cats. Does your state do sniffer tests for emissions? If you are throwing a code for catalyst below efficiency you can install O2 spacers on your downstream O2's and that will resolve that code and if you wanted you could remove your cats completely and enjoy better fuel economy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.