Club Touareg Forum banner

V6 Parking Heater versions

5K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  lgibson 
#1 ·
Hi,

I read through the other Parking heater thread and still have a question.

It turns out that my 2006 Treg 3.0 V6 TDI have a broken parking heater.

Item number is: 7L6-819-008-D

Apparently a new one will cost me 2500+ USD.

I am reluctant throwing that much cash after a part for a car with 225k KM behind it... and not even sure if it is that necessary for the car/me.

So I have two questions:
1. Is it necessary slash harmful for the car running without the heater?
2. I cant find the D version anywhere used.. so was thinking if I can by any chance replace it with a 7L6-819-008-H of which there are many used on EBAY etc.

Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
TDI runs so cool it needs help getting up to proper operating temp, hence the auxiliary heater. That's all we get in NA. Different circuit board on the Webasto needed to enable parking heater in addition to aux. heat.
What is the climate there? Webasto runs under 39F.
You might have your VW dealer input your VIN to see what the latest version is, or perhaps someone here will check ETKA for you. Too busy right now.

#4 ·
Is the heater on the earlier V6 TDI's a webasto like the V10? I know the 09- thru current here in NA are not and just an electric heater to heat the water in the heater core.

#5 ·
The letter suffix indicates an update or a change of supplier though that latter comment is unlikely if you have a Webasto heater. So the first change is an A suffix, second a B and so on.

If you do have Webasto [there's a sticker on the nearside door frame I think], there are several threads on repairing them as, from memory, it is usually either the igniter or the circuit board that's the problem and I believe spares are readily available.

If you asked a VW dealer about it, they will normally only replace, not repair, hence, I suspect, the $2500 quote.

There are Webasto dealers since these are used in trucks and boats as well. You might have to travel but I'd Google my locale to see if there's one reasonably handy. Pick up the phone and talk to them.

Try also posting on the UK site where there are more R5 owners too:

www.mytreg.com

#6 ·
Hi,

The temperature here in DK usually stays within -5 to -10 Celsius during the winter and usually thats only for a month or two.

@Swedreg - my shop told me that there was no parts available for this heater, only choices are to buy used or new replacement... and only from German available...

@Yeti - yes its webasto.

Based on your input I will look into having Webasto repair it for me...

#7 ·
#11 ·
There are differences in the circuit boards. Hard to tell if the earlier versions are compatible. If you are handy you can use the DIY's to repair your own. The glow plugs and blower motors are all the same and available from your VW dealer. Or you could do like we do in NA and put your circuit board into one of those earlier units.

#16 · (Edited)
It seems clear something else is wrong. I would log the address 18 while attempting to start the heater and watch the measuring blocks in group 006, also 009. Unlocking is done in A003. Be sure to notice in 006,1. 006,2 will be an 8 digit binary code. Please post here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.