Club Touareg Forum banner

starting issues when warm

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Bob Jones 
#1 ·
I am a mechanic in an area that does not have a VW dealer close by. I am working on a 2006 touareg v10 TDI. It had a misfire on cylinder # 6 and I checked the injector seals and found that one seal was bad and replaced all the seals. after putting everything back together I took for a test drive and after about 10 miles the engine died and would crank for about 20 seconds before firing. The next morning I started the engine just fine and drove again. And after 10 miles the engine shut off again and has trouble starting. after letting the car sit for a while tried to start again and now cranked for about 10 seconds before starting. Their is no check engine light on and no DLCs set of any kind. Please help. I have checked for fuel leaks, vacuum leaks, any leaks and none to be found. I really want to fix this vehicle the right way and not just give back half fixed. Thank you for reading and for any advice you may be able to help me with.

#2 ·
Bump.

#6 ·
My 0.02;

Air in the fuel system? On my 01 tdi (which i realize is a totally different fuel system), any diesel for that matter, it is an absolute PITA to get going again if it runs out of fuel. It almost sounds like it ran out of fuel (ie. used up the residual fuel in the system, getting you 10 miles down the road), as I'm assuming you have to disconnect the fuel lines/rail from the injectors to change the seals.

Other areas to look are the tandem pump (which I understand to pump fuel as well as provide vacuum**), or in tank pumps. Given that this issue is popping up now, and assuming its unrelated to the earlier misfiring, my best guess is that it's not getting fuel.

#7 ·
Changed the fuel filter today and took for test drive and no longer has the stalling issue but still is hard to start. Just wanted to keep people informed that may be having the same issue. Now I am looking at the fuel lines and wiring connections to be sure that everything is good and to help rule out the simple things. But still open to ideas would really like to give this very patient customer his car back with no issues.

#8 ·
We are about to end of diagnostics. Still not wanting to start when warm. No codes/lights. He's checking speed sensor as last ditch efforts. No fuel line nor vacuum leaks. Apparently v10 '06 doesn't have the Hall Sensor?

Anyone know a VW tech on the forum I can PM or have my mechanic call? I'll compensate the tech!

Thanks
Carter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.