Glow plug stuck - workshop suggested engine drop! - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 24 Old 01-09-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Glow plug stuck - workshop suggested engine drop!

Alright, folks... Glow plug exchange complete at an engine workshop, all brand new now except number #6, which is stuck. And the most difficult one to get access into.

Guys refused to turn because they wanted a confirmation from me due to the plug possibly braking in the process.

First estimate was that they can probably remove it with drilling techniques, which would result in a moderate repair cost. This is the option that realizes in most cases.

The second, and worst, estimate is that, should the plug get broken or should the tip fall into the cylinder, they have to drop down the engine in order to remove the cylinder head, in which case they definitely can remove the plug, but this option is very costly.

What surprises me most is that the engine needs to be dropped even in case of the V6. This is one main reason why I stayed away from the V10 when purchasing my car to avoid costly engine removals...

I decided to hold back for now and think for possible other repair options, if any exist. I have read about various magnetic fluids/oils that you should spray on the neck of the plug while juggling it back and forth using small steps to get the soot off which keeps the plug stuck from the inside, but this seems like a lengthy and cumbersome operation to take on a vehicle that is in constant daily use.

Any suggestions from fellow T-Reggers? I have a very strong love-hate -relationship with my vehicle, and now the scale is leaning towards the hate side again...

------------
Naturist's Touareg

T2 2008 V6 TDI 176 kW, Retrofitted OEM Spare Wheel Carrier on Tailgate, Steel Spring Suspension, Rear Diff Lock, Park Distance Control F&R, RNS 510 Navi, Power Latch for Tailgate, Adaptive Bi-Xenon headlights, Retrofitted reversing camera /w Kufatec interface to RNS510, Webasto+REMUC remote control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-10-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Get the motor f****** blasting hot and soak with penetrate then let cool overnight do that about 5 times then remove the glow plug with the motor warm.

Tell me you tested your rear battery before replacing the glow plugs for a glow plug fault.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #3 of 24 Old 01-10-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
No rear battery on a V6 TDI.

"Sophie" - 2010 Touareg TDI Highline, Campanella white on Anthracite
"Celeste" - 2009 Eos 2.0T DSG Lux, Candy white on Anthracite
"Simone" - 2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, HID projectors

post #4 of 24 Old 01-10-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

I have read the fault codes using VCDS, and indeed there was a glow plug #6 open circuit as the only fault code. The battery is fine (no rear battery because of no parking heater from factory - just the auxiliary one).

I will need to think whether I will try some DIY stuff with this or not. I have minimal experience on engine repairs, but on the other hand, it's already close to "being broken" and the repair costs will anyway be huge, so I got nothing to lose... Just will need to make sure that the cylinder head stays intact!

------------
Naturist's Touareg

T2 2008 V6 TDI 176 kW, Retrofitted OEM Spare Wheel Carrier on Tailgate, Steel Spring Suspension, Rear Diff Lock, Park Distance Control F&R, RNS 510 Navi, Power Latch for Tailgate, Adaptive Bi-Xenon headlights, Retrofitted reversing camera /w Kufatec interface to RNS510, Webasto+REMUC remote control
post #5 of 24 Old 01-10-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpkhym View Post
Get the motor f****** blasting hot and soak with penetrate then let cool overnight do that about 5 times then remove the glow plug with the motor warm.

Tell me you tested your rear battery before replacing the glow plugs for a glow plug fault.

Thanks for the tip!

For penetrating oil spray or something similar, do you have some particular product in mind?

------------
Naturist's Touareg

post #6 of 24 Old 01-10-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I don't know what is available in Europe. Over here, my favorite product is Kano Aerokroil.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-10-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Wd40,JB80, anything designed as a penetrating oil

post #8 of 24 Old 01-10-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
I very respectfully disagree. I'm a fan of Kano products, but others, like PB Blaster have an excellent reputation:

WD-40 Oil Alternatives - The Case Against WD-40

and from some undocumented comparison, you can see quite a difference in breakout force for various products.

For all of you that are mechanically inclined..... Penetrating Oils Compared A study done by Machinist's Workshop magazine in their April 2007 issue looked at different penetrating oils to see which one did the best job of removing a rusted bolt by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt once treated. If the study was scientifically accurate, it turns out a home brew works best! Here's the summary of the test results:

Penetrating oil .......... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ............ 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............... 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.............53 pounds

The Automatic Transmission fluid (ATF)-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

I've spent way to many hours on 2 hour jobs that take 6 hours due to rusted or broken fasteners to use something like WD-40.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-10-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V8
Garage
PB Blaster sprayed on a rusted exhaust part for 3 days straight can work miracles.

Also, fyi. PB Blaster sprayed in an attached garage for 3 days can lead spouse in attached house to file for divorce. It has a wee bit of an odor.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-10-2017

Touareg: 2008 V8
Aero kroil's a real bugger if you get in in your eye too.

But yeah, definitely have a go at the glowplug with penetrating oil. Should do the trick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode