Club Touareg Forum banner

Diesel frozen...

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  noobytoogy 
#1 ·
So with the cold snap, when it was 1 degree the other morning, my 2013 TDI turned over but wouldn't run. (i have no garage) Called VW dealer, they pointed me to roadside assistance, sat on hold for 45mins, called back several times to a busy signal. Solution?..."move to heated garage" per manual....masters of the obvious! If I had a heated garage, i wouldn't have the problem. Anyway, called VW Cust Care, they said tow it and they would reimburse, but elected not to bother as the cold snap was lifting. Tried a 100w bulb against the fuel filter, a space heat under the front bumper, and a heat pad wrapped around the filter but it was too cold still. Two days later, at 20 degrees, still wouldn't fire up....frustration continues, but wait, my trusty 13 year old Chevy Suburban comes to the rescue!! A couple dryer vents venting the exhaust into the TDI engine bay and 15 mins later, the TDI comes to life!

See less See more
#3 ·
Like it! Very smart! Even better works forced air propane heater paired with section of flexible duct pointed to the engine bay from below. Blanket on the hood also helps. But one needs to be careful with it... This is how men in the Northern MN start their Bombardier vehicles…

P.S. My 2012 TDI starts easy down to -10F or so. It starts with difficulties, but reliably down to ~ -25F. I was not able to start my vehicle this winter only once - after vehicle was parked outside for three days with the air temps at -37F(-38C). I made a mistake using too much battery juice with seat heaters and REST function with short trip after and opening rear gate many times while unloading and loading things from/to the trunk. Have to mention that I always use Power Service when it gets cold. I keep properly charged 500A/1000A jump-start unit with me - and this helps even when it is pushing towards -40F.

Attachments

#5 ·
Where in PA are you? I had two times where I thought mine was not gonna start, but it did. I am on an almost 5 yr old battery at this point and I too have no garage to put mine in either. I wonder if you have some diesel in there with not enough anti gel additive in it. I try to fill up at stations near highways in the winter so I know their supply has turn over as apposed to some station that may be in town and not have a lot of diesel sales compared to gas.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.