Check engine light - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > Engine, Transmission and Exhaust > Diesel (TDI) Engines | R5, V6, V8, V10, R50 TDI engines

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 09-02-2012   #1

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Unhappy Check engine light

Just pick up my 2012 tdi two days ago, and the CEL is on and I had less than 400 miles. I am 300 mile from home, so I could not leave the truck in any dealership. Would anyone offer some advice?
It is a nice smooth ride and my family love it, but we did not expect an CEL this soon.
Thank you so much!

Old 09-02-2012   #2
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Steve, hang in there. Could be anything but your issue could be AdBlue related. Lots of stuff here on it. If in fact it is related, then it might be the pump. There was a software update 9-10 months back and my guess is yours has it. If it is the pump, then VW will replace it. Just make sure your dealer obtains the updated pump.

I had my pump replaced at 1200 miles. No issues since. I am close to 11k. Awesome vehicle. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2012   #3

Second Vehicle: is jealous
Hi Steve,

Chances are, it's something minor, related to the emission system, either a faulty sensor or bad firmware for the Adblue system. CELs can be triggered by simple things like the gas cap not being properly closed. If you read the posts here, you will find a lot of stories about new Touareg with adblue issues. Nothing critical but still disappointing for a new SUV...

I got a bad sensor at delivery. Took them a week to get the replacement sensor but it drove fine in the meantime. Unless you get a flashing CEL, you try to get to your dealer soon but you can drive it in the meantime.

If you are new to VW and worried about CELs, I recommend you buy a VCDS cable from Ross-Tech. On top of allowing you to check CELs and other error codes, delete them if they are not important but also re-program a few things like open/close windows with FOB and hacks like Video in Motion... worth every penny!
Old 09-02-2012   #4

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Thanks, Fincher and Toggle
I had a 1996 Audi A4, 2000 Audi A6, and 2008 VW GTI, and there are great cars with near no problems other changing oil, tires, and brakes.
So I step up to their SUV, which is the first TDI.
I will keep it post since I will stop by dealership tomorrow if they are open for labor day.
Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.