Club Touareg Forum banner

2011 TDI Exec -- check engine light but no other information from computer

10K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  DBSmith 
#1 ·
The check engine light (dealer says that's what it's called -- it isn't in any of the manuals that came with the car) came on yesterday.

Dealer says it's to do with emissions -- said to check the fuel filler cap for tightness -- but the cap was on tight.

Vehicle computer doesn't give any description of the problem -- there's no notification in the "vehicle" section of the computer (as you'd normally get with e.g. low tire pressure or ad-blue).

Dealer says to drive it for a few days and see if the light goes out by itself!

Anyone have any words of wisdom to contribute? Many of you will recall that almost exactly a year ago this same vehicle destroyed its own fuel system and was in the shop for the best part of a month. (Mileage is only 14000 now).

#3 ·
Your car needs to go on VCDS immediately to see what codes are being thrown.

Personally, I'd take it straight to the dealer.

I don't believe in driving around with the engine warning light on because if it starts to flash you're in deeper trouble and it may be some where or some time where it is extremely inconvenient.

#4 ·
Yup - my 2011 TDI Executive has displayed the dreaded check engine light twice in the past 10 months - the two NOx sensors were the cause - $405 for one and $500 for the other plus labor is the after warranty cost (we're at 50,000+ miles) - you are lucky to be at only 14,000 miles - should be covered... and don't bother springing for an extended warranty - none of the emissions equipment is covered by any vendors that I contacted - spent many hours in debate with VW America and the dealer over these problematic sensors and their short lifespan... they were kind enough to cover the first since I was close to the 36,000 odometer mark and gave us some latitude with the second – basically, it's a federal emissions oversight with the DEF (ad-blue) system.

#5 ·
Why don't you do a search on TDIclub and see if you can find some youngin VW enthusiast over there with a TDI and a Ross-tech Hex CAN cable in NY, have him do a scan for some beer and get a print out from him of the scan reading, then post the whole scan up here on club Touareg?

14,000 miles in 3 years on a TDI motor sounds like a lot of short trips being driven. Also wondering out loud if all the snow and cold weather of late in upstate NY isn't helping things at all if your motor is not reaching full operating temperatures with every drive.

#6 ·
I emailed Ross-tech just this morning. Apparently they expect to have a wifi diagnostic tool available "end of the month". I may spring for one, we'll see.

About 1/2 of my trips are for 30 miles distance, the other half short trips. I find the remark about short trips in the cold rather funny -- VW forgot to tell me that a TDI Touareg shouldn't be driven in cold weather! I lived in Bavaria for 10 years and no one there worried about driving VWs in the Winter!

#7 ·
I took the TDI to the dealer yesterday:

Found codes P20EE00, P229F00, P229E00. Dealer says NOX sensor needs replacing but (of course) they didn't have the part in stock.

While I was there the AdBlue software recall 23M1 was updated -- repair order says they replaced a sensor 059906051A as part of the recall work.

Returned home (about 90 miles) without the new NOX sensor. Interestingly enough, the check engine light was off when the car was re-delivered and it didn't come back on -- did the tech disconnect something???

Dealer has offered to come and pick the car up when the part is in hand to complete the repair.

As I recall annual NYS vehicle inspection doesn't require an emissions test for diesel passenger cars (!) -- inspector has never connect the car to their computer when I get it inspected! So I wonder if there's any harm in just waiting to my regular annual maintenance in May to get the NOX sensor replaced? Just a thought...

#8 ·
Unless the dealer is trailering your car both ways, I suggest you take it there yourself!

#9 ·
Yes, that's why I asked the question about whether waiting until May to replace the sensor would/should cause any damage. If it's just an emissions thing I'm not too worried that I'll wreak environmental havoc by waiting...

My grandfather used to say: 'you can borrow my wife but you can't borrow my chainsaw'. That's about how I feel about my vehicles...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.