Club Touareg Forum banner

2006 V10 Oil Leak

9K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  lgibson 
#1 ·
Looking for some insight, woke this morning to oil, for the first time, on the garage floor under the left front. I would estimate about a table spoon or so. I removed the inspection panel and left front inner wheel liner and it appears that hoses connected to the lower left front of the motor lead to an oil cooler located above the transmission cooler in front of the radiator. Where these hoses connect to the engine seems to be the source of the leak. Everything above, behind, and forward of this area is dry. Is there an oil cooler on this vehicle? Could this connection be a valve or pump of some sort. I have read hundreds of posts here and I am confident it is not turbo or twin pump related.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
Mike

#2 ·
After further investigation it appears that there may be oil collecting on the top of the motor and running down the front. I swabbed everything clean as best i could and will keep an eye on things for the next few days.

#11 ·
Finally got some time to investigate. There are two leaks:
1. Small drip after driving from the front driver's side above the intercooler pipe. Black motor oil. Looks it's coming down from, or at least running g down from above whatever the thing is on the front of the engine (alternator?). Leaves one or two drops after
2. Significant oil leak from the oil drain plug. I don't think it the drain plug, cause it only drips after driving. It looks like it's dripping down from above, mostly the drivers side and running under the sound proofing. The plug on the sensor near the oil drain is soaked. Probably incidental.

Would this be indicitive of a tandem pump leak?

What is the easiest way to determine if the the tandem pump is leaking? Can you reach down there from the top? Look in through the wheel well if the liner is removed?

How did you guys diagnose tandem leak?

#12 ·
Stand on a milk crate or low stool facing the right front fender. With your left hand reach down between the firewall and the right valve cover to feel the tandem pump at the end of the camshaft. Gotta wrap your fingers over the pump to feel leakage at the bottom. Not easy and impossible on a hot engine.

#13 ·
06 v10 tdi has anyone had oil or coolant leaking from this seal #07Z198389. my valley was completely wet with oil and coolant would leak after it would cool down. it would leak down front left of valley and left side of crank pulley/dampener. also i have a ? what to see when water pump fails or leaks. i have everything apart and can tell u guys that this seal was very hard and brittle. i have not had time to put everything back together, still debating to replace the alternator and tandem pumps. also i know both banks are leaking exhaust and from what i read that the manifolds crack. has anyone been able to remove the exhaust manifold without removing the engine. by the way im not 100% sure where my exhaust is leaking from, my best guess is from the back of the manifold towards the turbo and then it spreads to the front of manifold thru the heat shield. i also tried to remove the heat shield but not much success. thanks for reading

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.