Oh no! I've got the clunks! - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 31 Old 09-16-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Oh no! I've got the clunks!

I think I know the answer to this one already but I want to check before I go looking for parts. Got a call from my wife, pulled over on the freeway, said "there was a loud noise, I thought I had a flat tire but I don't!" So I run over and sure enough no flat tire but if I get above 30-35mph it starts clunking like the car is trying to rip itself apart and I can feel a lot of vibration through the armrest. I have to slow to 10-15mph for the noise to stop and then once again it's safe up to about 30-35mph.

I'm relatively certain this is the center support bearing failure on the propshaft and that my best plan of action is to get a refurbished shaft from Colorado Driveshaft. This is a 2004 V8 with about 155k on the clock, by the way. I got the car at around 100k so I don't know if this has been replaced in the past.

Is there any other likely problem or solution here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-16-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V8
Do some searching here - tons of info on this. You can probably just replace the support bearing and not the entire drive shaft for a lot less money. Good luck & let us know how you make out!
post #3 of 31 Old 09-16-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay View Post
Do some searching here - tons of info on this. You can probably just replace the support bearing and not the entire drive shaft for a lot less money. Good luck & let us know how you make out!
It looks like the refurb shaft is only like $375 by the time I return the core, and the Vertex split bearing support is $400 by itself... I'm sure it's a little quicker to install but it doesn't seem like it would save me much!

post #4 of 31 Old 09-16-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: VW 2
get under the car and inspect the support bearing see if there is excessive play
post #5 of 31 Old 09-16-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odessa View Post
get under the car and inspect the support bearing see if there is excessive play
The shaft seems to move with almost no resistance with one-handed non-herculean strength.

I haven't been actively involved in automotive engineering for a few years now, but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to.
post #6 of 31 Old 09-16-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: Still looking
sounds like you found the problem. If you can view the rubber support while moving (with a torch) then you should see the movement in the rubber which is the problem.

New bearing support needed i would say
post #7 of 31 Old 09-16-2015

Touareg: 2008 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Ya, definitely sounds like support. I went with the Vertex Automotive solution found on Amazon. It was very easy. The only thing I'm glad I had was an extra pair of hands and an angle grinder to cut the original bearing support off. Once that was off, we just took the angle grinder to the bearing and gently angled it properly to spin the bearing but also remove the rubber that is adhered to the bearing. Also a razer blade will work nicely, but will take a lot longer.

Everything is running smooth in my Treg! Hope you can find a quick and permanent fix to your problem.

2008 Touareg, 2014 Tiguan, 1980 CB750 (project bike)
post #8 of 31 Old 09-26-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2005 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodb View Post

It looks like the refurb shaft is only like $375 by the time I return the core, and the Vertex split bearing support is $400 by itself... I'm sure it's a little quicker to install but it doesn't seem like it would save me much!
Go with the vertex as there is nothing wrong with the shaft. Hardest part is getting the old rubber off the bearing. I used a carpenters blade and cleaned easily to bear metal. Took me less than 15 minutes to install the vertex once prepped. Very well built hefty product and no worries about getting an unbalanced shaft which can happen if you buy a shaft rebuild.
post #9 of 31 Old 10-04-2015

Touareg: 2012 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Same exact thing happened to me last night while in route to get new wheels,, thought I had a flat at first. Anyway found this company http://www.coloradodriveshaft.com/vo...en_touareg.htm Wonder if anybody tried them
post #10 of 31 Old 10-04-2015
Touareg Guru

You obviously haven't bothered to use the Search facility on here . . .

Excellent Wikipedia info on all models:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buying or just bought a T1 or a T2? ESSENTIAL READING:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing by typing in site:
color="black"> word word word

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode