If there is a Gen1 buyback, who will wait till the very end? - Club Touareg Forums
 7Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 01-29-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
If there is a Gen1 buyback, who will wait till the very end?

As all us Gen1 owners are waiting for the green light/details for the buyback. If it does happen, who else is going to wait till the very end to sell their TDI back to VW?

I have been thinking about it and may wait as many have pointed out that we now have non-depreciating assets and we'd be able to use the vehicles for just about nothing until close to the deadline, whenever it is. I have read on the TDIClub how some had/have worried about totaling the vehicle to the point where it would not be driveable to the dealership to cash-in but that the odds of that would be very small. I would tend to agree with this as I have not totaled a vehicle in 30 years-ha!

The other wild-card would be if something broke and needed a major repair, that is the other factor that some have brought up and why they would not wait.

My commute to work is so short now, and has been since 05/2014 as I only need to do a 11-13 mile round trip to and from work so I might put on 300 miles a month so the mileage part would be a non-issue for me as I'm already below the mileage figure for the additional money according to the Class IV mileage class we fall into so that would be great also.

One of the strongest factors that would make me wait would be to see what updates GMC might make to their Duramax Canyon Denali's as well as if any other manufacturers would be releasing with diesels with a 7,000lb tow rating. Who knows what might be coming out in 2018.

Two more reasons I may wait till the very end. 1. I have a new 2017 Beta 500 RR-S on the way to use to commute back and forth to work on and, 2. I really do like if not love my 2012 T3 TDI Exec. It really is a super vehicle and if the buy back money were not so good/too good, really, to pass up, I would have kept the vehicle for as long as possible as was the original plan but we all know what happens to the best laid intentions.

Anyone else going to hold out till the very end if/when VW buys back our TDI's?
Poloman1960 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-29-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
The mileage restriction is our primary issue. We are logging miles traveled in a spreadsheet and track it closely. We pull our camper around all summer so we are trying to bank some miles for now.

Like many people here, we not finding the best replacement vehicle. We might move right to a newer used TDI Touareg. We picked the Touareg for a reason on the first place! Let's see what happens.
Poloman1960 likes this.

-Bill-
'08 VW Touareg V8 Lux Tow Hitch
'09 VW Touareg TDI Lux Tow Hitch
'11 Silverado Duramax Diesel SB Crew LTZ
post #3 of 33 Old 01-29-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

I can see the mileage that people would be accruing as the #1 reason to request their buyback money ASAP. If I were in that position I'd do the same thing but, at the same time, the decrease in payouts is so low per every 5,000 or 10,000 miles that as compared to the cost of depreciation or loan payments . . . I suppose everyone's situation is different.

post #4 of 33 Old 01-29-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V6
T1 is a eu4 emission car allready. Why would anyone think there would be a buyback for a old car like that. Then there should be buyback for every single car made after year 98 or something.
Eu4 didn't even require dpf.
post #5 of 33 Old 01-29-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriJT View Post
T1 is a eu4 emission car allready. Why would anyone think there would be a buyback for a old car like that. Then there should be buyback for every single car made after year 98 or something.
Eu4 didn't even require dpf.
Did/do you know that the Gen1 TDI's that are up for buyback are from 2009-2012?

I suppose that you didn't know that I'm referring to the Gen1 3.0L TDI motors that have been the subject of discussion since 09/2015.
post #6 of 33 Old 01-29-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Isn't that a gen2/3 then? That would be the newer 240hp engine? Was there actually ever the 210 and 225 engine without dpf in us?

But i didnt know about the buyback of 2009 on vehicles. They havent even been an issue in europe. But anyway a buyback for allmost ten year old cars is just ridiculous...
I just wonder why vw group even tries selling anything in us.
post #7 of 33 Old 01-29-2017
Touareg Guru

The posts in this thread should be in the main thread about diesel gate.
john21283 likes this.
post #8 of 33 Old 01-29-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
The posts in this thread should be in the main thread about diesel gate.
True.

Im not even sure that i even understand the size of dieselgate anymore an how big it has grown since beginning. Looking at the whole thing from this part of europe it really looks ridiculous. Here we only have small software update to 2.0tdi cr engine that does not even affect the performance. And thats it. Some might get a pen or usb stick or other small advertisement crap. Many doesnt even want a update since it messes the engine after egr and dpf delete. And those cars do pass emission tests in mot inspection easily.
post #9 of 33 Old 01-30-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: too many to list
There is no decision about the touareg recall yet ,why doesn't everyone just wait to see what is decided,then go crazy. I have heard nothing from VW for 6mos about any buy back.
post #10 of 33 Old 01-30-2017

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriJT View Post
Isn't that a gen2/3 then? That would be the newer 240hp engine? Was there actually ever the 210 and 225 engine without dpf in us
But i didnt know about the buyback of 2009 on vehicles. They havent even been an issue in europe. But anyway a buyback for allmost ten year old cars is just ridiculous...
I just wonder why vw group even tries selling anything in us.
Think it all got started out in California, something about being lied to, kids and dogs needing clean air to breath, yada, yada. They can be kinda different out there.
Poloman1960 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode