Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA/New England
Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
If there is a Gen1 buyback, who will wait till the very end?
As all us Gen1 owners are waiting for the green light/details for the buyback. If it does happen, who else is going to wait till the very end to sell their TDI back to VW?
I have been thinking about it and may wait as many have pointed out that we now have non-depreciating assets and we'd be able to use the vehicles for just about nothing until close to the deadline, whenever it is. I have read on the TDIClub how some had/have worried about totaling the vehicle to the point where it would not be driveable to the dealership to cash-in but that the odds of that would be very small. I would tend to agree with this as I have not totaled a vehicle in 30 years-ha!
The other wild-card would be if something broke and needed a major repair, that is the other factor that some have brought up and why they would not wait.
My commute to work is so short now, and has been since 05/2014 as I only need to do a 11-13 mile round trip to and from work so I might put on 300 miles a month so the mileage part would be a non-issue for me as I'm already below the mileage figure for the additional money according to the Class IV mileage class we fall into so that would be great also.
One of the strongest factors that would make me wait would be to see what updates GMC might make to their Duramax Canyon Denali's as well as if any other manufacturers would be releasing with diesels with a 7,000lb tow rating. Who knows what might be coming out in 2018.
Two more reasons I may wait till the very end. 1. I have a new 2017 Beta 500 RR-S on the way to use to commute back and forth to work on and, 2. I really do like if not love my 2012 T3 TDI Exec. It really is a super vehicle and if the buy back money were not so good/too good, really, to pass up, I would have kept the vehicle for as long as possible as was the original plan but we all know what happens to the best laid intentions.
Anyone else going to hold out till the very end if/when VW buys back our TDI's?