Touareg: 2006 V8
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wytheville VA USA
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Thanked 177 Times in 141 Posts
This idea is going to work out just like the Chrysler Routan venture.
Almost nobody who started wanting a Chrysler van went to VW to cross shop. The VW potential buyers were 10% of the market and Chrysler got the other 90% of the market. Very few shopped both VW and Chrysler.
VW will sell some Large SUV's to the VW people, but will sell almost none to the people who start out already knowing they want an Large American SUV.
In other words, the people who want a large Ford SUV will never cross shop at a VW dealer for their large SUV. And the GM people will stay at GM. Those people are already locked in.
It is the same concept as if VW cloned the Ford F150. Sure, some VW pickups would sell, but the Ford or Die enthusiast would still buy the Ford, the Chevy Truck drivers would buy the Chevy, Dodge people would buy the dodge, and VW gets the scraps.