Any Q7 Mk II owners? - Club Touareg Forums
 10Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 02-15-2017 Thread Starter
Still Plays With Cars

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2006 V10 TDI
Garage
Any Q7 Mk II owners?

I am on the hunt for a new vehicle to replace the wife's kid hauler with something a little more exciting. One of the vehicles we are looking at is a 2017 Q7, mostly because we are in need of a third row. Of course, having owned a 2004 Touareg (that was subsequently bought back by VWoA), I'm a little gun shy on a first model year anything. Wife is not very interested in the previous gen Q7 (2015 and prior). To get most of what we are looking for it's essentially a 3.0L Supercharged V6, premium plus, drivers assistance, vision, warm weather, cold weather, tow, etc. Disappointing that to get into air suspension, you have to jump up to prestige which is harder to find.

Impressions of the car: Nice package! While I will always miss the grunt of a diesel or the V8, that 3.0 is pretty peppy and with the included paddle shifters it zips right along. I'm curious to see how well it pulls our boat on the occasionally outing. The gadgets are pretty comprehensive if not expensive. The virtual cockpit in the vision package is mind blowing. I do wonder if I will feel that same way about it a year from now. The drivers assistance packages were surprisingly very good. Today had an extended test drive and had played with the ACC in city traffic, lane departure assist and even the pre-sense braking when a car stopped mid turn in the intersection in front of us. I never even touched the brakes and we came to a complete stop with no drama.

I'm getting the car to keep overnight to play with it a little more and get to compare it with our other car option, an Infinity QX80. These options would be replacing our fast aging Honda Odyssey at 80,000 miles.

Anyway, I know we have many here that have more than one car or stay in the VAG family. Any current owners?

// 06 V10 TDI, Reflex Silver/Teak--Loaded

// 06 V8, Campy White/Teak--Air--DVD NAV--Backup Cam--Kessy--Winter--Xenon--RDL--Factory Hitch--Dakar Offroad Front Skid Plate
// 08 27' Airstream International CCD :: Airforums.com Member - "Westfalia"
// 77 VW Transporter Westfalia P21 Weekender, 2.0L Fuel Injection, Pastel Weiß/Orange Plaid--STOCK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-\ CLUB TOUAREG ADMINISTRATOR -\
Please read our Club Touareg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and our

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-16-2017 Thread Starter
Still Plays With Cars

Garage
I have the car for a night to play with. Quite a ride!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0645_1487301558964.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	170314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648_1487301604159.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	170322  

nickm and Creative Native like this.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-16-2017
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Thanks for the update. It sounds like an interesting ride.

Hopefully we will see more of that engine, in other vehicles, soon.

post #4 of 21 Old 02-16-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
This is what I plan to replace my Touareg with when VW TDI scandal will be finalized. I like it a lot, it's very capable vehicle with bunch of goodies. I'll be after medium or upper configuration - depends what will come at the best price with desired colors combination/ based on availability. I was told that it takes up to 4 months to deliver your own built vehicle...
post #5 of 21 Old 02-16-2017 Thread Starter
Still Plays With Cars

Garage
Yeah no problem nickyt. We actually have the Q7 and a QX80 in the driveway doing a side by side. Two totally different vehicles. If I'm looking for a truck replacement the QX80 wins in both power and capacity. But the interior, while very comfy, sucks in comparison to my ten year old Touareg let alone the Audi.

Had a good time trying out the driver assist packages in the Q7 today in traffic. It ate up 15 miles of mixed bumper to bumper traffic with brief excursions to 70 WITHOUT having to touch the brakes or the gas. Ok, I did chicken out and touch the brakes a few times. I'm having trust issues.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-16-2017 Thread Starter
Still Plays With Cars

Garage
Conservative, yeah it's making me want to trade my Touaregs in focus on just this car. About the only thing this is missing that I would like is the air suspension. I'll get some cockpit shots tonight. Heading off to test the LED headlights!
post #7 of 21 Old 02-16-2017
Touareg Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled View Post
Conservative, yeah it's making me want to trade my Touaregs in focus on just this car. About the only thing this is missing that I would like is the air suspension. I'll get some cockpit shots tonight. Heading off to test the LED headlights!
Please share what you think. I'll be curious to hear also your opinion on the heads-up display. I had no chance to test drive this beauty at night...
post #8 of 21 Old 02-16-2017 Thread Starter
Still Plays With Cars

Garage
Unfortunately the is not a heads up display. But the new virtual cockpit display is both a wonder and a complete distraction. It's so beautiful it's hard not to constantly look at it. The map is dash is fantastic. Tonight's drive took me thru an area I have only once or twice have drive with dozens of blind turns, hidden signs and lots of deer to avoid. I was able to easily navigate using the 3D google earth map.

Interior is fairly dark. The LED headlights while very good are very focused. Lots of light for highway driving but I could have used a little more coverage on dark back roads with little to no markers. They are also not adaptive which surprised me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0651_1487309699531.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	170418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0653_1487309716564.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	170426  

Name:	IMG_0652_1487309734787.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	170434  
Creative Native likes this.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-17-2017
Touareg Addict

Thank you for sharing, Aircooled!
Ha, I did not pay close attention to the Q7 specs info - I thought that the "virtual cockpit" is the Audi's name for a heads-up display. I did test drive two BMW X5s at about the same time when did a Q7 and they both had heads-up display option installed - that's where my goofy assumption about Q7 has come from. None-adaptive headlights? - I thought all luxury German-made cars now come with this feature standard. Bummer! I guess I'd have to take a closer look when time will come. I liked the new TFSI engine very much. I liked interior a lot, and seats in particular. There is not much about this vehicle to dislike, but it is beyond me why a few fairly common features are not available.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-18-2017
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
I'm personally not a fan of HUD as IMO you'd have to be moving at a darn good clip or need very precise info to make it a functional feature. That said, I love the new Q7, the virtual cockpit is impressive and IMO Audi leaves everyone a decade behind on interior design.

They are now offering it with the 2.0T here in Canada in addition to the 3.0T. The 2.0t stares below what the mid level T3 costs so perhaps Audi is moving models sufficiently downmarket to make up for potential loss of the Touareg?

Only thing I don't like about the Q7 is the option packaging, you need to move to top trim before air suspension / 4 wheel steering combo is available, and things like adaptive lighting are part of an option package.

I had a deposit on a Q7 TDI but ended up converting it to a Q5 purchase for the smarter than me good looking lady of the house.
Mythdoc likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode