Club Touareg Forum banner

Moved to Touareg with some concerns

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  hedditch 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

After 8 years of owning 4 different Jeep Grand Cherokees (all of them were off road modified), I moved to Touareg.
My current purchase is 2008 Luxury V6 TDI.

I mainly have 2 concerns:
1. Knowing VAG group bad reputation for reliability, with highly sophisticated and costly parts, I am afraid that I may not be able to do most of the fixing myself as I used to do on all my Jeeps (and already I have a Check Engine indicator on..)

2.I would like to have the Touareg Off-road capable. more than what the stock allows.

so, in regards to those concerns, I have a few questions that I would like to have this forum's advice on:

- How DIY friendly is the Touareg? assuming that I have some experience in mechanics

- Where can I get parts in fair prices?

- I don't have the Air Suspension, so what does it say about my transfer case? do I have any diff locks or some kind of electrical magic which is equivalent?

- Advice on lifting the car? I assume 300mm clearance would be enough
- Advice on available tire size (currently have 255/60/17)
- Advice on side bar guards

Thanks in advance,
Kobi

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Welcome! There are very few hard-core off road mods commercially available for a Touareg. Wasteland compared to the Jeep aftermarket.

They're not hard to work on. Refer to the Bentley manual for the right process and tools required and it's just step by step. You're going to need VCDS/Vag-com from Ross-Tech too. I've changed the oil, air filters, coolant temp sensors, stepper motor, transmission valve body/chest, and headlight bulbs with no problems.

We run 265-65R/17's in summer. They *nearly* rub at full lock in loading level but since you have steel suspension they should be fine for you. My opinion is that the tires are really the off-road limiting factor for a Touareg. They have decent travel, mechanicals are sufficient and the electronics are amazing. Just can't fit a 36" in there to handle big rocks.

We try to push ours a little more every time we take her out. Made it through places the guys with 36" tires said we couldn't make it through. Climbed things that were difficult to walk up.

Good luck!

#5 ·
Welcome! There are very few hard-core off road mods commercially available for a Touareg. Wasteland compared to the Jeep aftermarket.

They're not hard to work on. Refer to the Bentley manual for the right process and tools required and it's just step by step. You're going to need VCDS/Vag-com from Ross-Tech too. I've changed the oil, air filters, coolant temp sensors, stepper motor, transmission valve body/chest, and headlight bulbs with no problems.

We run 265-65R/17's in summer. They *nearly* rub at full lock in loading level but since you have steel suspension they should be fine for you. My opinion is that the tires are really the off-road limiting factor for a Touareg. They have decent travel, mechanicals are sufficient and the electronics are amazing. Just can't fit
a 36" in there to handle big rocks.

We try to push ours a little more every time we take her out. Made it through places the guys with 36" tires said we couldn't make it through. Climbed things that were difficult to walk up.

Good luck!
I wouldnt want to go as far as 36".
Looking for around 31 or 32.
I assume that I will first lift it with spacers around 40mm and then fit the bigger tires. All n all this should give me additional 3 inches
And total of 310mm ground clearance.
Im just hoping that the axles will hold at this angle (40mm more than standard. Tires are not effecting the angle )

#4 ·
Welcome, Jacob. You're in good company around these parts.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.