T3 Transmission flush idea, with wonderful drawings. - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 131 Old 08-08-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
T3 Transmission flush idea, with wonderful drawings.

Excuse my crude MS paint artwork, but this is an idea I had to flush the transmission fluid in my T3 8 speed tranny. It comes from the same method I used to use to change the tranny fluid in my R50 Nissan Pathfinder. However with the Pathfinder you would just allow the cooler line to dump 2 quarts of old fluid with the motor running, turn off the motor and add 2 quarts in the fill hole... rinse and repeat until the fluid came out new and clean.

Since we don't have a dipstick tube to fill from like the Pathfinder my idea here to essentially replace the transmission cooler temporarily with two jug's. One empty to take the old oil and one full with fresh new tranny oil. Start the car with a hose connected to the inbound and outbound flex lines at the connection to the radiator as pictured. Start the car and the tranny fluid pump will do he rest of the work, dumping old dark fluid in the empty jug wile sucking in new red fluid as needed, just as if it was cycling through the cooler itself. Once the "old fluid" jug starts getting clean fluid dumped in it, you are done. Put it back together then do the proper procedure to verify the fluid levels. I.E. 86 degrees and pull the bolt with the overfill tube.

Anyone see a reason this won't work?

Thanks.

-Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flush idea.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	64850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tranoverall.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	64858  

Name:	trancon.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	64866  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 Old 08-08-2014
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
There is no excuse for Microsoft...

It is more fun to go fast in a slow car than slow in a fast car (known as the British Leyland Rule).
post #3 of 131 Old 08-08-2014

I think the idea is simply brilliant, and you did a great job illustrating it!!!
would really like to read some expert opinion about this idea!!!

post #4 of 131 Old 08-08-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Thanks Tooth, I'm looking for some guru opinion myself. I'm willing to try it, I really would like to change my tranny fluid soon. Personally I don't see any reason it won't work, it bypasses the transmission thermostat which is in the piece you are disconnecting the lines from. If the general consensus is that it should work, i'll try it next week when my fluid arrives.
post #5 of 131 Old 08-09-2014
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2005 R5 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by almstsobur View Post
Thanks Tooth, I'm looking for some guru opinion myself. I'm willing to try it, I really would like to change my tranny fluid soon. Personally I don't see any reason it won't work, it bypasses the transmission thermostat which is in the piece you are disconnecting the lines from. If the general consensus is that it should work, i'll try it next week when my fluid arrives.
The only thing I can think off that may cause you and issue is there is enough suction to draw the new fluid in to the tranny. That's because the fluid is pumped around and thru the cooler not sucked. But hey I think you method is worth a good try.
I would as a final if it works, do a proper fluid level check and correct as required via the actual level tube in the transmission pan.

Regards
Drag
post #6 of 131 Old 08-09-2014
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2005 R5 TDI
you leave old fluid in the cooler so you are going through a lot of effort to flush an extra liter at most.

The best is to do two or three changes 500km apart. Unless you plan on taking out the cooler's thermostat.

All vw/audi engines must use 507.00 spec oil except non-DPF R5/V10 engines that must use 505.01/506.01
93 Pajero GLS 3.0 V6 LWB - SOLD
2001 Gen3 Di-D LWB - SOLD
2005 Touareg 2.5 TDi Air & Bi-Xenon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 131 Old 08-09-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragline1570 View Post
The only thing I can think off that may cause you and issue is there is enough suction to draw the new fluid in to the tranny. That's because the fluid is pumped around and thru the cooler not sucked. But hey I think you method is worth a good try.
I would as a final if it works, do a proper fluid level check and correct as required via the actual level tube in the transmission pan.

Regards
Drag
That's what I'm thinking as well.
post #8 of 131 Old 08-09-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
This procedure is very similar to what Ford has outlined to change fluid in my 2005 Taurus but transmission in that car required rebuilding the transmission before the fluid was flushed.
This is also very similar to how a Quick Change Oil Shop does a transmission fluid "exchange" with their machine they use, basically disconnect tranny lines going to cooler and connect their exchange machine which I think has it's own pump to push new fluid in and old fluid out.
http://www.wynnsusa.com/pdf/spec-she...e2+Machine.pdf

I think the VW method is the safest way to change fluid with putting in a new filter plus cleaning the sedimet from bottom of the pan, you only get about half at best of old fluid out but you do get new fluid in that will mix fine with old fluid.
post #9 of 131 Old 08-09-2014
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
the question that pops up in my mind is how many liters of fluid or how long will you have to do this to also change the fluid in the torque converter?

Mosquitos refuse to bite me out of respect
post #10 of 131 Old 08-09-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ePikanini View Post
you leave old fluid in the cooler so you are going through a lot of effort to flush an extra liter at most.

The best is to do two or three changes 500km apart. Unless you plan on taking out the cooler's thermostat.
I don't think that is correct. Look at the attached.

According to alldata, a pan drop fluid change only gets 3-4L of fluid. The capacity of the cooler itself is only 0.7L. So the method I am proposing will get all the fluid in the torque converter and elsewhere, leaving only the 0.7l in the cooler behind. The drain and fill method gets less than 50% of the total tranny system fluid 3-4 L out of 10-12 in the tranny.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	capacity.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	64938   Click image for larger version

Name:	fillafterdrain.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	64946  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode