T3 Transmission flush idea, with wonderful drawings. - Page 6 - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes

post #51 of 131 Old 08-20-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by natebg View Post

What type of oil (part#), and quantity (liters) is used for the front differential, transfer case?, and rear differential?
Thanks,

G 052 145 A2 0.8L front Dif.
G 052 196 A2 1.25L rear Dif.
G 052 515 A2 0.85L Xfer case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 131 Old 08-20-2014
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2012 Hybrid
Second Vehicle: 2012 V6 FSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by almstsobur View Post
Yeah, I wish Mobil or someone would make that spec. $20/L is outrageous, but I guess the alternative of not changing it would be even more expensive. I use Mobil 1 as my engine oil and in a lot of my vehicles, I would have complete faith if they listed that spec. I've never heard of Gulf Dexron VI ... but I would assume if it lists the spec it has to meet or exceed OEM.
I wonder what's Toyota/Lexus trans fluid cost? After all same transmission is used in LS/LX
post #53 of 131 Old 08-20-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Here is Ravenol G055540A2 tranny fluid for T3 8 Speed auto
RAVENOL ATF T-WS Lifetime, 4 Liter - Detailed item view - RAVENOL UK Online Shop
US distributor is Audi Parts - Vw Parts - Audi Parts Vw Parts Kit Company - Blauparts don't see on their site but they should be able to get.
Specifications:
RAVENOL ATF T-WS Lifetime Fluid meets and exceeds the following manufacturer requirements and specifications:
Toyota / Lexus JWS3324
Toyota 00289-ATFWS
Toyota 08886-02305, Toyota 08886-81210
Aisin Warner Automatic Transmissions from 2008
Chrysler 05189978AA, Chrysler 05189979AA
Chrysler Mopar AS68RC
VW/AUDI 0C8 transmission (Touareg 2011- ,Q7 2010-)
VW/AUDI G 055 540 A2

Isuzu 2-90531-200-0, Isuzu 2-90531-201-0

post #54 of 131 Old 08-20-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

To each their own when when it comes to fluids. But personally I would not use a fluid that does not list the correct vw spec. I would just question if the Toyota fluid is rated for the same factors as the vw. I've never known a gas powered Toyota to operate at 200f like our diesels do, since the tranny is cooled right by the radiator are the fluids rated for the same long-term heat? Also is it designed for 400ftlb of torque and 7700 lb of towing? Just because it's the same tranny, I'm not sure that means it's for the same operating conditions.

IMO this is no place to save a few bucks, I imagine they cost a fortune to fix or replace.
post #55 of 131 Old 08-20-2014
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2012 Hybrid
Second Vehicle: 2012 V6 FSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by almstsobur View Post
To each their own when when it comes to fluids. But personally I would not use a fluid that does not list the correct vw spec. I would just question if the Toyota fluid is rated for the same factors as the vw. I've never known a gas powered Toyota to operate at 200f like our diesels do, since the tranny is cooled right by the radiator are the fluids rated for the same long-term heat? Also is it designed for 400ftlb of torque and 7700 lb of towing? Just because it's the same tranny, I'm not sure that means it's for the same operating conditions.

IMO this is no place to save a few bucks, I imagine they cost a fortune to fix or replace.
You maybe correct but I honestly doubt that VW engineered a special fluid for an Aisin transmission. I bet they just passed the trans fluid formula to Ravenol and called it a day. And yes, Aisin rates those trannies at 650 or 680ftlb.
post #56 of 131 Old 08-20-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Yeah, it's really hard to say. Who knows. I would just think priority in a passenger car would be fuel economy, maybe with a sacrifice to viscosity or additives needed for the extra heat produced by a diesel and when potentially towing. Just food for thought, I really have no idea.
post #57 of 131 Old 08-20-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
The 8 Speed T3 tranny is Aisin Warner sequential automatic transmissions, I don't think VW has specified anything special about fluid they sell in their parts department.
Ravenol is high quality IMO, using their 5w40 VMO engine oil in my 08 Passat with 2.0T engine with no burn off between 5K oil changes, both Mobil 1 and Castrol VW spec syn oil burned off at least 1 quart every 5K.
post #58 of 131 Old 08-20-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBobNY View Post
The 8 Speed T3 tranny is Aisin Warner sequential automatic transmissions, I don't think VW has specified anything special about fluid they sell in their parts department.
Ravenol is high quality IMO, using their 5w40 VMO engine oil in my 08 Passat with 2.0T engine with no burn off between 5K oil changes, both Mobil 1 and Castrol VW spec syn oil burned off at least 1 quart every 5K.
I understand Bob, I'm not arguing, just playing devils advocate. "I don't think" is the key element in your statement, we don't know for sure. Also, the vw spec is 5-30, the additional viscosity of 5-40 would naturally have less blow-by.

I personally think 5-40 is a better diesel oil, 5-30 is used for the fuel economy IMO
post #59 of 131 Old 08-28-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Good find, Bob. Any idea what the Ravenol goes for, per liter? The cheapest OEM ATF I could find for this trans was 19.24 at vwpartscenter. If the spec on the oils is equivalent, I wonder if Toyota's ATF would be the cheapest option? But I understand where almstsobur is coming from. Piece of mind is worth something.
Also, when do you guys plan on dropping the pan and changing the filter? 100k?

2011 Touareg TDI
2013 Golf TDI
post #60 of 131 Old 08-28-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Actually ECS has it for just under 19 dollars but still pricey if you're getting 12 liters or so.

2011 Touareg TDI
2013 Golf TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode