T3 Transmission flush idea, with wonderful drawings. - Page 5 - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes

post #41 of 131 Old 08-17-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Yeah, I wish Mobil or someone would make that spec. $20/L is outrageous, but I guess the alternative of not changing it would be even more expensive. I use Mobil 1 as my engine oil and in a lot of my vehicles, I would have complete faith if they listed that spec. I've never heard of Gulf Dexron VI ... but I would assume if it lists the spec it has to meet or exceed OEM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 131 Old 08-17-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Almstsobur,
Can you describe some more how you made your VAG6262 and where one can get the parts? Also, how did you make that spout for the upper bucket?
Thanks.

2011 Touareg TDI
2013 Golf TDI
post #43 of 131 Old 08-17-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordschleife View Post
Almstsobur,
Can you describe some more how you made your VAG6262 and where one can get the parts? Also, how did you make that spout for the upper bucket?
Thanks.
The VAG is an interesting story. All of the documentation I had said a VAG6262 was the fill tool, so I looked it up and it was supposed to be a 24M x 1.5. A pretty standard thread in hydraulics. So I called a local hydraulic shop and asked them to fit a crimp end for a 1/2" ID hose on a 24M x 1.5. I swung down on my lunch break and gave them $20 or so for it. Now, because you have to have the plastic under-body panel down to see the tranny holes I just assumed everything was good. To my surprise when I pulled the under-belly pan down I could clearly see that a 24m x 1.5 was too big for my 1 fill hole. The documentation I had showed 2 drain/fill holes, one bigger to fit the VAG and one smaller for the level tube. I only had 1, the level tube.

So, check your tranny pan before you buy or make a VAG tool, it might not be the right one, I have since double checked what I read and I made the correct tool, but the documentation of both Alldata and a 2011 service manual do not match what I see.

Given this situation I had to improvise one the fly ... since I knew none of this until I dropped the under-belly pan. But, I thought to myself "Self, the level check procedure basically drains any extra tranny fluid to the proper level, so just make sure you don't come up short and need to add any" Self did a good job and added about an extra 1/4 L over what I took out, to make sure I was on the high-side of full because I didn't have the right tool to top it off.

Thus when I did the level check procedure About 1/8-1/4 L drained out and everything worked out perfectly. So basically... You don't need the VAG tool at all for this method if you add a little extra fluid.

The spout for the bucket was just a piece I had laying around. I think it came off of like a $2 Walmart oil bottle spicket or funnel. Basically anything that will snugly fit a 1/2" ID hose that you can seal in place will work. I just drilled a hole in the bucket the night before .. thoroughly cleaned out the plastic shavings and threw a bead of superglue around a tight fit of the spout on the inside and out. It never leaked a drip. Just drill small and force a tight fit to get it in.

post #44 of 131 Old 08-17-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by almstsobur View Post
Negligible amount maybe a quarter of a liter. Make sure you do it cold though so the cooler thermostat isn't open. I really didn't do this to avoid the "normal" way. I did this because the normal way only gets 1/3 of the old fluid, I consider that a waste of time. My old man always said do it right, do it once.
Also, why don't you want the thermostat to be open? I'm not sure how the trans thermostat works but I'm guessing once the fluid reaches a certain temp, the thermostat opens allowing the fluid to flow into the cooler. Once you pull the cooler lines, won't the open thermostat allow the cooler to fully drain?

2011 Touareg TDI
2013 Golf TDI
post #45 of 131 Old 08-17-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

I keep calling it VAG, I think it is VAS6262
post #46 of 131 Old 08-17-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Also, why don't you want the thermostat to be open? I'm not sure how the trans thermostat works but I'm guessing once the fluid reaches a certain temp, the thermostat opens allowing the fluid to flow into the cooler. Once you pull the cooler lines, won't the open thermostat allow the cooler to fully drain?
Yes, but the cooler only holds 0.7L so I wasn't worried about getting that pinch of fluid. I was more worried about working with hot tranny fluid in a lowes bucket and piping that wasn't designed for heat. That thermostat opens at 212F, that is some burn your balls scalding oil. Not worth the risk IMO. Also, by the time you complete the job the thermostat will be closed again, trapping air in the cooler, I didn't want to create a large pocket of air that could potentially vapor lock the proper flow of the tranny fluid. Again, just not worth the risk for only 0.7L

I doubt the vapor lock part would happen, who knows, but that fluid at 212F is just too hot to safely work with.
post #47 of 131 Old 08-17-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

LOL, yes I didn't think about that...definitely don't want my balls scorched with hot ATF leaking everywhere. Overall, this a well designed plan. Thanks for pioneering this technique and sharing the details. I really wasn't looking forward to doing it the old way- it seemed so inefficient.

2011 Touareg TDI
2013 Golf TDI
post #48 of 131 Old 08-17-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
LOL, yes I didn't think about that...definitely don't want my balls scorched with hot ATF leaking everywhere. Overall, this a well designed plan. Thanks for pioneering this technique and sharing the details. I really wasn't looking forward to doing it the old way- it seemed so inefficient.
No problem. Glad to help, I thought the old way was crap myself. Just use common sense and it's easy ... I highly recommend matching buckets and preferably with capacity markings and see-through. Again Lowe's was my friend here, I got those buckets in the painting section for a few dollars each. You will want to make sure you are on equal ground in and out, that's about the gist of it. Also, if you hang your bucket from the hood latch like I did, prop it up... I doubt those hood ram's will hold 11-12 Liters of weight. I didn't roll the dice and propped it up to be sure.

I can't imagine the mess if a bucket of 12L and $300 of fluid came crashing down with the hood. I think you would be calling Hazmat
post #49 of 131 Old 08-17-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

P.S if anyone figures out the whole VAS6262 1 hole 2 hole, 24M 1.5 fitting thing, please fill me in. I'm still puzzled. All of the documentation I have says that's the correct fitting, but it clearly isn't on my tranny pan.
post #50 of 131 Old 08-20-2014

Thumbs up

wow. This is great, and apparently I need to do this on my 2011 T3 with 90k miles.

What type of oil (part#), and quantity (liters) is used for the front differential, transfer case?, and rear differential?
Thanks,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode