Club Touareg Forum banner

How to change a headlight bulb on a Touareg 2 (2007-2010)

133K views 70 replies 39 participants last post by  Max 3.6 fsi 
#1 ·
Hi,

You can change a lightbulb on a Touareg 2 without a tool, but without a description you'll have to find a Indiana Jones-style hidden mechanism first. I learned this the hard way, here is how I finally got it done thanks to tips from siberian in this forum:

First you have to locate a white lever behind the headlight(#1).

Swing it back, don't force it - it should be easy (#2).

Now remove the cable connector from the lights. You need to pry the square opening on the top just a little bit (3), it will unhook itself inside and come out easily.

Now you need to push on the side of the headlight to swing it out a little bit (4). This was hard with my T2, but depends on the car. Don't force it too much, everything inside is plastic and can break.

Now that the headlight assembly is tilted, you can pull it out from the front (5).

I replaced the low beam bulb, so adjust this part for the particular bulb you are replacing (blinker, high beam, etc.) I open the back rubber cover and now can unscrew the bulb socket. Turn counterclockwise just a little bit (6) and pull the socket out. Don't touch any bulb glass you still want to use with your bare hands!

Pull out the bulb (7). I had to carefully pry the bulb with a thin screwdriver.

Now put the new bulb in. There is a peg (Visible on pic 7) that will prevent you from putting in the bulb the wrong way.

Turn the bulb socket back in clockwise.

Close up the light assembly and put it back into the opening. Look at the plastic pins below the assembly and align them with the slide-in openings. Push it in with the same slant that you pulled it out (See pic 5).

Finally plug the cable connector back in and close the lever - done!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Great post!

#3 ·
x2, will be very helpful.

#4 ·
Great. One important little step missing. After releasing the white lever, you need to push down on the black tab it was securing in the engaged position. While holding down the tab you push on the outside of the light as described. Very important you push down on that tab, otherwise the assembly remains fully engaged (the white lever just secures it) and you would have to apply considerable force and probably cause damage.

The most difficult part to me is removing the cable connector. Messed up both my clips already.

#9 ·
I had 5 of these go out at $27 a crack in two years on my 2009 TDI, plus another 6 or so brake light bulbs. After 2 years of arguing with the dealer. They found, (believe it or not) a software fix to this problem. The flashed the software last October and I have not replaced a turning or brake light bulb ever since.

#7 ·
Just an FYI for anyone reading this. The harness does not for some reason come off. I found you can change the bulbs without taking the entire assembly out. Just pivot it closer to your left side (for left side bulb) and you can slip your hand in there and change the low beams / parking light. The right side of the car is even easier...

#8 ·
Thanks for the pictures and write up....I just wasted 20 minutes trying to figure how to change the low beam.

I finally said, screw it, and came in and searched. Took 2 minutes to change and then 5 minutes to set my headlights straight and even again because I was turning the adjustment screw trying to figure it out

#12 ·
hello, i just recently became a member of the site and i have spent the last 10 days trying to get that plug out and yes i broke that top part of the litte square ur soppose to apply the pressure, thats on the passenger side on the driver side i tried and the squares top part broke in half but is still hanging in there i see u posted that u broke them both so the big question is can i still get the plug out and how couse its just frustrating. thank you

#14 ·
Headlight Swap

Further to the posts l was able to replace dipped bulbs with brighter lamps by sliding the lights out so far without removing the wiring plug (which did not want to shift. Just enough room to get hand behind and remove rubber cover and twist out light bulb. Success at last!:-D

#16 ·
Hi BigGus, l gave up on removing the plug with screwdriver and went for the slide it out a bit option which worked for me. Guess sooner later l am gonna have to remove the plug at some point and will no doubt end up breaking something. Under the white lever which you move to one side there is a small black plastic springy tab underneath this (need to feel around a bit) but you press it down to release pressing the outside corner of the light (corner nearest windscreen) unit at the same time to free it.

#18 ·
What the system shows on the speedometer warning light, called curve light bulbs, are a bitch to change. An hour later, I have some instructions. These bulbs are H7, sold by the dealer for $20. They are located between the orange bulbs and the HID white bulbs. After you have the unit on the bench, with a bright flashlight one can see two black plastic clips on a rectangular unit. Squeeze these in, and the whole unit comes off. Inside, you see the bulb locking system. There is an ear on the left side, which when moved counterclockwise about 1/4", unlocks the bulb along with its wiring harness. Two more metal clips separate the wiring from the bulb. Insert new one, snap together. Insert and use the ear to turn the bulb assembly back clockwise while you hold it in. Replace the unit, and return the light assembly to the car as per directions above. These instructions for Touareg II and III, will not work on original models.

#22 ·
Yes. Change both.

#23 ·
I just ordered two new Sylvania D1S HID - High Intensity Discharge Lamps which should arrive on Monday. I have read the post and besides removing the plug it looks very DIY. My question is : It looks like the driver side bulb can be accessed by not removing the whole light assembly. Is this correct or removing the assembly is easy and the way to go? As for the plug. By sticking the screw drive into the connector are you releasing the tab by sticking in the driver deep into the connector or are you prying out the tab to release it?

One last question. Are the DRL's and the low beams the same bulb?

#24 ·
I replaced both bulbs today and it was not so bad. I did it however without removing the electrical connection as I was afraid of breaking it. The pics in the post are right on the money. There is one extra step that was mentioned and that is: Once you release the white clip, there is a black tab right below the clip that needs to be pushed down and that is what releases the light assembly. The whole unit will come out as one piece. By not disconnecting the electric connector the assembly will not come all the way out but you can gain access to the bulb. I tried to remove the connector but I couldn't get it so I gave up. This seems to be the part that most people break during the install. There also is a black collar that needs to be removed and reattached to the new bulb. This collar is what connects the bulb to the assembly. It takes a bit of trail and error in sliding the assembly back into position but take your time as you dont want to force it. It goes back in the same way it came out. I did replace both bulbs at the same time. It was hard to replace a perfectly good expensive bulb but it makes sense (thanks noobytoogy). I got both bulbs on Amazon for $110.92. The dealer wanted $160.00 EACH and the local auto parts store wanted $98.00 each for the exact same bulb. This forum saved me a good chunk of $$ today and I thank you all that have posted to this topic.

Attachments

#25 ·
great thread, very useful

i'll ad my bit, those having trouble with the connector, lever it a little with a screwdriver in the spot shown and you hear it do a little click, then rather than try to pull plug off, use another screwdriver and lever the plug from the base to push the plug off, you may need to move the headlight in its socket to get the correct angle.

#29 ·
#31 ·
Hello All,

I keep getting a "no curve light function, owners manual" with a yellow light buld with displayed in the speedometer area. It comes and goes intermittently. Is this truely a sign of just the bulbs needing replacement or something else, or both, or ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.