DIY: V6 TDI oil change - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > Touareg DIY and Technical Info - DO NOT POST NEW THREADS ASKING QUESTIONS

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 06-18-2011   #1

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
DIY: V6 TDI oil change

Did an oil change on my TDI today (5,200 miles on it). Also took some pictures along the way so I thought I would share them here.

Starting with materials needed: 9 liters of Castro Motor oil, a new oil filter. Tools needed: T30, T24 torx bits, 32mm socket.

Steps I took:
1. put touareg on a set of ramps.

2. remove the underbody panel: There are 11 T30 tourx screws holding the two-section panel in place. 2 holding the front section to the body, 3 holding the front section and the lower front bumper together, 4 holding the front and rear sections together and to the body(shown in the middle of the picture), 4 holding the rear section in place(shown in the bottom of picture). There are also 4 T24 torx screws holding the front section to the fender wells. After they all come off, the panel comes off. The drain plug is easily seen at this point.

3. remove the drain plug (6mm allen key)

4. remove engine cover, remove the filter cap with a 32mm socket. The filter element pulls out with the cap.

5. remove the filter from the cap and replace the o-ring with the new one that comes with the filter.
6. install the filter into the housing first before putting the plastic cap back on. When standing in front of the touareg facing it, as you look down the filter housing, you will see a small hole in the 8 o'clock direction. There is where a small tip on the filter element fits in. Make sure the two are aligned and with slight pressure, the filter should snap in.

7. replace the filter cap and tighten it.
8. replace the drain plug and tighten it. (I replace the stock drainplug with a magnetic unit I bought from ECS tuning)

9. put in 9 liters of motor oil.

The process is pretty straight forward. The only little surprise is that as soon as you loosen the drain plug the oil comes right out, not just dripping. A little messy.

Old 06-19-2011   #2

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V8
Nice write up and photos. Makes it look simple enough. Thanks for posting this.

Do you know if there are any significant engine changes from the 2010 V6TDI to the 2011 V6TDI?

Also I note that the V6 only has 1 drain plug (my '04 V8 had 2).

Old 06-23-2011   #3

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
What oil to use ?

I understand that the only proper oil for my 2011 TDI is oil meeting VW 507 standard. After 5500 miles the electronic dip stick shows my oil to be at minimum with engine at idle. I want to add oil but can I only get the proper stuff from a VW dealer or are there other brands that meet the VW spec and are so marked on the container ?
Old 06-23-2011   #4
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: is jealous
Awesome write up!

Don't trust the Electronic oil level sensor, i've had it show low and then a few days later show full again. Don't forget the oil should be checked with the engine warm and turned off. This is how the ultrasonic digital oil level display works. My suggestion is to get a dipstick from the dealer they're only a few bucks and will ensure you don't overfill your oil which could do some serious damage to various parts of your emission system.

Oil suggestions,

VW 507.00 / 504.00 Fuchs Titan GT1 Longlife III Synthetic Oil (my recommendation)
Castrol SLX, 507 recommended by vw,
or anything with a 507 specification.

VW 507.00 / 504.00 Fuchs Titan GT1 Longlife III Synthetic Oil - Case
SamTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011   #5
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rung Sat Vet View Post
I understand that the only proper oil for my 2011 TDI is oil meeting VW 507 standard. After 5500 miles the electronic dip stick shows my oil to be at minimum with engine at idle. I want to add oil but can I only get the proper stuff from a VW dealer or are there other brands that meet the VW spec and are so marked on the container ?
I see you live in the US but you don't say where. In any event, this guy Bora Parts Inc. is an avid TDI enthusiast. He ships all over and usually has the best prices I've been able to find. The service is great. Tell him you want VW 507 oil and he'll get it to you.
Old 11-07-2011   #6

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quaker State oil part# 550024144

meets VW 504 00 and 507 00 and for people like me that don't live near a dealer you can buy it on Amazon.com with free shipping. the plastic bottle label does confirm compliance.
Old 01-09-2012   #7

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Mobil also sells their ESP 5W-30 oil which meets VW 507.00 spec.

PEP Boys carries it.

Tim
1993 and '95 Land Cruisers
tarbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012   #8
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rung Sat Vet View Post
It is so cool to see more choices in diesel engine oil for our vehicles. The real key is as folks have said, the proper VW 507.00 specification 5w30 oil. My order of choice would be Mobil One 5w30 ESP, Total Quartz INEO 5w30. There are now many others, but they are more niche market. Given the specifications, I would say buy on price. Curiously Mobil One ESP VW 507.00 is normally the best price and when it goes on special even better !!
Old 06-11-2012   #9

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
T24 Torx...really? Is there such a thing??
Old 12-27-2012   #10

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Smile Great and helpful post!

No pictures loaded. Could you resend this post on V6 TDI Touareg oil change if you have any pics?

I have been changing oil using the extraction method through the dipstick. I am done with this method, as it takes so long to do. This method looks a lot faster.

Thanks,
Keith

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.