DIY Oil Change for 4.2L V8 - Page 6 - Club Touareg Forums

post #51 of 174 Old 05-19-2009

Touareg: 2008 V8
I did the oil change over the weekend. It took about 2.5 hours . . . unbelievable. The tips and info in this forum really made a difference. Thanks to everybody for those contributions. The following are notes I would like to add about my experience.
  • I put the Treg up on ramps, put the parking brake on, put jack stands under the frame just in case, and chocked the rear wheels. I wear XXL sized clothes as a reference, so even with the extra space it was interesting trying to move around under there.
  • The 1.25" socket worked fine with the oil filter dome, although a six sided socket would probably not have left the minor marks on the plastic. I'm surprised that I had not read about how hard it was to pull the filter out of the dome housing. Maybe I was being overly cautious, but it was a pain in the neck. You have to kind of pull and twist the darned thing out of there. I was also glad I laid a couple of rags over the engine where I lifted the filter out of it’s hole so oil did not drip into hard to reach places.
  • The oil pan drain plug took a T-40 torx bit. I reassured myself by ordering a replacement plug from the dealer beforehand to verify I was looking at the right thing. I read about somebody accidentally removing the transmission fluid plug and I did not want to do the same. If you are not sure what you are doing I could see how someone might open the wrong plug.
  • I bought a few extra gaskets from the dealer so I would have them for next time. These gaskets are different from your basic washer, but they look like they work very well. They are kind of like a Cheerio that collapses and spreads into the threads when you tighten the plug.
  • Definitely have some cardboard or trash bags under the pan that the oil will drain into. There is a good chance oil will splash or drip out onto the ground, plus you can lay oily stuff on there during the oil change. I used a 12qt. dish pan from Wal-Mart to drain the oil into with success. Don't wear any clothes you don't want to get oil on. It’s funny how rubber dishwashing gloves don’t get much grip on anything when they are covered in oil.
  • I had 10 quarts of Mobile1 0W40 motor oil. I put in about nine quarts as the manual says to do, and then added more as needed after letting the engine run a while. I thought it would be more than enough, but it actually was barely enough.
  • I removed the rear portion of under panel, and really did not feel like taking off the front under-panel once I got under there. So I covered the area under the plug with aluminum foil to prevent a huge mess as mentioned in someone's earlier write-up. Boy, am I glad I put aluminum foil there. It would have been very messy if I had not.
I think that having this oil change under my belt I could do the next one in about an hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 174 Old 05-19-2009
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V8
Glad it worked out for you! You're right, the filter is really attached to the dome and takes a lot of force to get out. I was quite surprised the first time I had to do it (Actually I "unscrewed" it for about 5 minutes before I realized that it wasn't coming off that way!). The first time is always the worst, it will be much easier next time.

BTW mine ['07 V8] takes a 6mm allen wrench to remove the oil drain plug, they must have changed this for '08. I would much prefer the T40; this is a lot of torque for a 6mm. I think I'll order the '08 part for my next change. allens are bad to strip out if you don't get the bit in there perfectly. Which may explain the change.

T-man
post #53 of 174 Old 05-19-2009

LMAO @ "unscrewing the filter" from the dome. I was stuck on that part for at least 15 mins Thanks again for the info.

post #54 of 174 Old 05-21-2009
My God,it's full of stars

Second Vehicle: 2008 V6
Anyone do a write up for the V6 T2?

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #55 of 174 Old 05-21-2009
Touareg Enthusiast

The gas V-6 I think is the same as previous years. The TDI V-6, I don't think any of the 3 people that got one have done a writeup!

BTW, off topic, I'm going to be in Fairbanks in July (tour), what kind of weather should I expect? The wife seems to think we're in for blizzards and slow death by freezing!

-TM
post #56 of 174 Old 05-21-2009
My God,it's full of stars

Second Vehicle: 2008 V6
T-man can you point me to the V6 write ups; haven't found them.

Weather? In Fairbanks? 100 odd miles form the arctic circle? Miles from civilization? Well I woudl start by taking your wife to Kotzebue or Little Diomede for a week - she'll think Fairbanks is Paris! (look hon, running water!).

July you should have around 22 hours of daylight, temps in the 80s. Hope you get to do some fishing down in Kenai or Valdez.

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #57 of 174 Old 06-02-2009

Touareg: 2004 V8
Send a message via AIM to ZippySLC
Attempted to change my oil today. Got all the way to the point where I would open the front drain bolt. Found that it was on really tight - probably put on with an impact gun. Promptly proceeded to strip the hell out of the thing trying to get it out. End result: Looks like I'm going to need to pay the dealer to get it out and get a new drain plug. My cheap DIY day is going to turn pretty expensive.

Seriously, screw VW for putting a drain plug like this in instead of a simple bolt.
post #58 of 174 Old 06-02-2009
Touareg Enthusiast

That sux man. Is there enough of the plug sticking out so you can get vice grips on it? Or maybe cut a slot with a dremel for a big screwdriver?
post #59 of 174 Old 06-02-2009

Send a message via AIM to ZippySLC
I probably could use vice grips on it, but I'd need a really big pair to get enough leverage on it to break the thing loose. It'd be really hard to do since the plug is round.
post #60 of 174 Old 06-02-2009
BANNED

Second Vehicle: Other
Why the dealer?

Buy a new plug and visit the local shop. Will save you a bundle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode