DIY Oil Change for 4.2L V8 - Page 5 - Club Touareg Forums

post #41 of 174 Old 03-13-2009
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
I believe they are designed to "crush" when you tighten them to ensure a good seal. Doubt you will find them at your local hardware store. You could probably get away with re-using the washers. However, the $7 for new washers from the dealer is worth the peace of mind knowing it will not leak. Yeah $7 for 2 washers that probably cost .7 cents!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 174 Old 03-13-2009

Ugh, thanks for reply

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 174 Old 05-11-2009

Touareg: 2008 V8
Anybody done an oil change on a 2008 V8 Touareg2? I plan on using Mobile1 0W40 synthetic oil since it's the only one I can find with the VW spec on the container. I started the oil change but when I got to the oil filter I had trouble finding the right tool to remove it. I read somewhere and the dealer also told me that it should be 36mm. I bought a 36mm socket and it was too big. I'd rather not use locking pliers because the line that runs right in front of the filter is kind of in the way. Also, SnapON Tools sells an S-36-24 specialty tool for $28 that I'd rather not buy. What did y'all use? Also, specifically what wrench is used to remove the drain plug? I don't know why they made this so difficult.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

post #44 of 174 Old 05-11-2009
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V8
The 36mm socket is for the 04-06 models with the older engine that has the filter on the bottom of the engine. The 07+ V-8 FSI models have the filter on top and the housing "dome" has a different size hex. See my additions to the previously referenced thread:
VWvortex Forums: DIY V8 oil change **PICS**
I estimated it as 32 or 30 mm, but it's not difficult to do with a pair of medium/large channel locks. If you do find the correct socket size please let us know!

(BTW If you can find it, use Castrol 0W30 "Made in Germany" oil. Best stuff going. Autozone generally has it, but in limited quantities. You'll need slightly less than 10 Quarts.
FAQ - GC ( German Castrol ) - Bob Is The Oil Guy).

Another note; I have my oil analyzed after each change and 10K (Miles!) is looking to be too long. 7.5K looks to be about right. The 4.2 FSI is getting a reputation as being hard on oil.

-TM
post #45 of 174 Old 05-11-2009

Thanks for the speedy response and good info. I read your very helpful detailed description a while back and could not remember where I read it. I will definitely post the size of the filter housing dome hex if I can figure it out. I will use up the Mobile1 this time since I already bought it and try the German Castrol on the next oil change.

Somebody needs to make a less expensive oil filter for these things too!

-Chico
post #46 of 174 Old 05-11-2009
Touareg Mechanic

Other Info Below,Scroll down for other posts on DIY oil Changes, Marty
post #47 of 174 Old 05-11-2009

Marty,

Thanks for pointing out the links below. Also, I went to an auto parts store tonight and the salesman came out to my TReg and tried a 1 1/4" socket on the oil filter dome. It seems like a perfect fit. I won't be able to try it until later in the week.
The one I got is similar to this one, Craftsman 1-1/4 in. Socket, 12 pt. - Model 47517 at Sears.com

In one of the links below I saw where somebody mentioned that NAPA had less expensive oil filters, but when I checked their website the price is about what the dealer charged me for an oil filter (about $25), unless I am mistaken.
NAPAONLINEŽ

I will post the results when I get a chance to try the oil change again.

Thanks,
Chico
post #48 of 174 Old 05-12-2009
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V8
Thanks for the info! 32mm = 1.26", more or less, so that sounds right. Wonder if they have a 6pt, I like as much contact as possible on plastic.

I get my filters from 1stVWparts.com. $13.54 currently. Nice folks. I buy 2 or 3 at once to save on shipping. They are actually a dealer so the parts are genuine VW.
1stVWParts.com :: Online Catalog

Some folks have had good luck with German Filters - OEM Filters for Audi VW Mercedes BMW Porsche Volvo as well.
Touareg - 4.2 V8 - German Filters

Happy DIYing!
post #49 of 174 Old 05-12-2009
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2007 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V8
The filters in the NAPA (Wix) box are the same one's from the factory. They just box them for NAPA. The prices online are list, go to the store forthe best price. The old joke is to put a red rag in your back pocket to get the mechanic discount.

2007 V-10 Reed Green Air Supp. Tow Pkg. Four Zone Winter Pkg. Lock Diff. Llumar tint Mud Flaps Euro Bin and Headlight switch Sirius Radio Seat covers
post #50 of 174 Old 05-12-2009
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
Another note; I have my oil analyzed after each change and 10K (Miles!) is looking to be too long. 7.5K looks to be about right. The 4.2 FSI is getting a reputation as being hard on oil.
-TM
I'm running 5K-6K intervals on mine...going to send it in for analysis to see what it comes back looking like.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode