DIY Oil Change for 4.2L V8 - Page 3 - Club Touareg Forums

post #21 of 174 Old 08-07-2008
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V8
I did an oil change in the garage tonight and it took me two hours taking my time. Those two drain plugs are crazy! The oil in my drain pan got dangerously close to spilling over the edge.

When I took the shrouds off I noticed a lot of oil residue and dirt. It turns out that the rear most drain plug had a small oil leak because some jackA#* at the dealership put a new washer over the old one on the drain plug. I just barley put pressure on the ratchet and the plug came out; there were only a couple of threads in the oil pan and it wasn't anywhere near the right torque spec. I'm so happy that I decided to change the oil when I did. This could have had a catastrophic result.

Point being always pay attention to the details when performing any work on your vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 174 Old 08-07-2008
Touareg Mechanic

What two drain plugs are we talking about here? I have an 04' V6 and it only has 1.... come to think of it all oil pans have one.....right?

Base 2004 V6, My ticking time bomb,...... GONE
post #23 of 174 Old 08-07-2008

diy oil

...have a '05 V6...there is a drain capability on the filter canister and of course one on the oil pan.
post #24 of 174 Old 08-07-2008
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown alex View Post
come to think of it all oil pans have one.....right?
An oil pans should have a drain plug for each sump. While most pans have a single sump, its not unusual to have more than one. All 79-96 Mustangs with a V8 have pans with two sumps.

-- Robert King
post #25 of 174 Old 08-07-2008
Touareg Addict

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
V6ers have one drain plug on the pan, and one on the oil filter housing. V8's have two drain plugs in the pan, and I believe one on the filter housing.

Matt

Gone, but never forgotten: 2005 V6, Shadow Blue/Kristal Grey, Package 1 (Xenons/Sound 1)

Bye bye Blue...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #26 of 174 Old 08-07-2008
Touareg Mechanic

Ok thanks for clearing that up Matt.

Base 2004 V6, My ticking time bomb,...... GONE
post #27 of 174 Old 08-10-2008
BANNED

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
That is correct. Do not use a drainpan. I use a 5 gallon bucket, cut down a bit so it fits under the car. This way you do not have oil spills once niagra falls comes out of your carter pan
post #28 of 174 Old 01-27-2009
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
I had a thought last night as I lay in bed after reading this thread; When draining the oil, why not use a heavy-duty trash bag to catch it instead of letting it splash everywhere? Has anyone tried this?

Maybe it's a hairbrained idea, but here's what I'm thinking; You place the bottom of the trash bag in a sufficiently-sized oil pan, then using duct tape or gaffer's tape, tape the opening of the bag to the underside of the oil pan around the drain plug. You would obviously want to loosen the drain plug first with the allen wrench, but once it is loose, you could simply unscrew it by hand while it is inside the bag. It would fall into the bag when it comes out but it could easily be retrieved when the oil is finished draining. It would probably be a good idea to hold the top of the bag where it is taped to the pan, just in case the weight of the sudden oil deluge causes it to pull free of the pan. When finished, find the drain plug in the bag and remove it, drain the other sump, replace drain plugs and cut a hole in the bottom of the bag to let the oil drain into the pan.

What do you think? Seems like it might work, in theory. If I get a chance to do it soon, I'll post the results or edit this post if it turns out to be impractical.
post #29 of 174 Old 01-27-2009
BANNED

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
See my post above yours. Garanteed no mess! trashbag is asking for trouble
post #30 of 174 Old 01-27-2009
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Quote:
Originally Posted by nltomba View Post
See my post above yours. Garanteed no mess! trashbag is asking for trouble
Thanks for the reply...

I did see your post, but looking at the fifth pic in this thread it seems like you wouldn't be able to get a bucket directly under the front drain plug because of the crossmember. Additionally, the rear plug appears higher by a few inches, so the bucket would still be some distance from it.

Anyway... It was just a thought. I may try it when I change the oil for the first time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode