DIY Oil Change for 4.2L V8 - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums

post #11 of 174 Old 01-02-2008
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2007 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V8
NAPA Filters (Wix) offers a check service. You mail in a bottle of oil and they give you a very detailed report. We use it on all our equipment and boats. If they find metal you start planning on rebuilds. Go to the local store and ask for the oil check kit, it's a small box with little plastic bottles for the oil and mailing labels. Very complete.

2007 V-10 Reed Green Air Supp. Tow Pkg. Four Zone Winter Pkg. Lock Diff. Llumar tint Mud Flaps Euro Bin and Headlight switch Sirius Radio Seat covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 174 Old 01-02-2008
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by mturco View Post
... to find out if it is synthetic or not?

I had my first oil change completed at the dealer and they said they used the proper oil, but my mileage has gone from 24 on the road down to 19.
Ouch...that is quite a drop, maybe it could be somehting else too. Is this on the same tank of gas? I see you are in SacTown (and Denver), which dealer did you use? Neilo? When I lived there I would take my Touareg to Vacaville VW, Chris Wadsworth is a very helpfuladvisor, and their techs are very knowledgeable about the Touareg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 174 Old 01-02-2008

Yes, Neillo. Seems like a good group there too, just not sure about their diesel service since CA doesn't allow new sales (yet).

They did a quick turnaround replacing my front drivers window from an attempted break-in, nothing taken, the window shattered but didn't break due to tinting film (which I guess I now have to remove in CA).
post #14 of 174 Old 02-18-2008
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitruc View Post
Try these VWvortex Forums: DIY V8 oil change **PICS**
The writeup and pics make for an EASY oil change!!
I just added a post to this DIY detailing the changes for the '07 (and later?) V-8 models.

T-Man
post #15 of 174 Old 07-30-2008

Question, Foil...

I enjoyed this post...I've changed oil in many vehicles. After getting the VW Touareg I had one of the local oil change places change my oil. I decided to change it myself this last time and found that they had forgotten to put the 'O' ring back on the filter canister before finishing the oil change.

It was not easy! They had over tightened both the filter and plug so that it was all I could do to get everything squared away, new oil and filter and clean up the mess you rightly mention!

For the first time in my life a piece of foil from the top of the container for the new oil went into the engine when I was refilling! Does anyone know if it would go directly to the oil pan and be caught in the screen/filter or possibly a bigger problem?
post #16 of 174 Old 07-30-2008
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag4vou View Post
For the first time in my life a piece of foil from the top of the container for the new oil went into the engine when I was refilling!
One reason I never pour from the original container.

-- Robert King
post #17 of 174 Old 07-30-2008

...good idea. Definitely will go with different container...
post #18 of 174 Old 07-30-2008
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V8
Quote:
I enjoyed this post...I've changed oil in many vehicles. After getting the VW Touareg I had one of the local oil change places change my oil. I decided to change it myself this last time and found that they had forgotten to put the 'O' ring back on the filter canister before finishing the oil change.

It was not easy! They had over tightened both the filter and plug so that it was all I could do to get everything squared away, new oil and filter and clean up the mess you rightly mention!

For the first time in my life a piece of foil from the top of the container for the new oil went into the engine when I was refilling! Does anyone know if it would go directly to the oil pan and be caught in the screen/filter or possibly a bigger problem?
Yikes. How big of a piece, the whole thing or just a sliver? It could get stuck somewhere on the top end and block or partially block an oil return passage, but there are several so that would not be so bad; could get hung in the valve gear; if it made it to the bottom end could get stuck in the oil pump screen, which would be maybe the best outcome. I would guess that you are *probably* OK, people have dropped a lot worse down that hole and not had a problem. And I'm afraid it would cost thousands to get it out.

Good luck....
post #19 of 174 Old 07-30-2008
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
...good idea. Definitely will go with different container...
Preferably one with a screen in it, or pour from the original contriner through a funnel with a screen in it.

-- Robert King
post #20 of 174 Old 07-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
Yikes. How big of a piece, the whole thing or just a sliver? It could get stuck somewhere on the top end and block or partially block an oil return passage, but there are several so that would not be so bad; could get hung in the valve gear; if it made it to the bottom end could get stuck in the oil pump screen, which would be maybe the best outcome. I would guess that you are *probably* OK, people have dropped a lot worse down that hole and not had a problem. And I'm afraid it would cost thousands to get it out.

Good luck....
Small...its running fine perhaps for the reasons you mention but also concerning for the reasons you mention.

I've never done something like that before (and was happy I went through the trouble of the oil change myself after finding the 'O' ring missing from the filter)....but with the foil now on most or all the containers (Mobil 1 in this case) I have to imagine it is not uncommon. I've been looking on the Mobil site to see if they have a FAQ as to the composition of the 'foil' ...perhaps it is plastic that dissolves? Anyway, a real F UP...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode