AdBlue Home Refill - Page 3 - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > Touareg DIY and Technical Info - DO NOT POST NEW THREADS ASKING QUESTIONS

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 11-08-2012   #21
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I guess it isn't really Generic, it is Valvoline.

NAPA AUTO PARTS

Old 11-08-2012   #22
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Without using a half gallon bottle as funnel, how did you prevent over filling and spilling the urea?

Old 11-08-2012   #23
Touareg Enthusiast

I just stuck the hose in the hole with the air supply cap on the container. Then I slowly released the air cap so it would flow smoothly. The Adblue Tank is 4.5 gallons from what I read on myturbodiesel.com, so the 2.5gal. jug had no problem fitting in without overflowing.
Old 11-08-2012   #24
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
My local dealer sells the 2.5 gal jug for $13.50. NAPA may be more convenient, but with 3 dealers within 15 miles of the house I'll get my UREA aka AdBlue at the dealer.

P.S. The 1/2 gal bottle funnel is the way to go. If you spill the AdBlue around the tank, there is no way of cleaning it up.

USAF '83-'87
rineman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012   #25
Touareg Mechanic

Thanks to Coloartist for the specific information @ Napa for the Valvoline generic DEF. For whatever reason/s when I stuck in zip code information and directed to a number of nearby stores to chose from, it gave a 10% on line discount ($ 10.79 for a 2.5 gal container). Also thanks for the explanation of using the included "air cap" and included spout to fill the DEF/Ad Blue tank.

I just brought back the 2012 VW Touareg to the dealer @ 13,000 miles after the touch screen indicated 1,500 miles remaining (15,000 miles app on a DEF/Ad Blue tank) The dealer used the bottom cut out 1/2 gal bottle as funnel and valve and put in app 32 oz shy of 5 gals (2 each 2.5 gal containers- 608 oz). Consumption (for mine specifically and 2012 MY was app .046769 oz (a tad less than 1/2 oz) per mile. X 1000 miles, that is app 47 oz consumption. They let me watch the whole procedure. The VW Ad Blue did not seem to come with the hose and air cap as depicted in Coloartists posting for the Valvoline DEF product. This of course made the cut out bottle with valve almost indispensable, albeit SLOW. Basically they had to refill the 1/2 gal funnel app 11 times.
Old 11-08-2012   #26

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Every adblue maker out there is using that same bottle. The VW funnel lets you fill it to the brim without spilling a drop, the other methods don't.

The adblue I buy comes in a bottle like that, i dont use the spout, instead I fill the VW 2L bottle...takes a bit more time to do it, but I can fill to max capacity with zero risk of spilling any of the stuff. Like rineman said if you spill there is no way to clean it up.
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012   #27
Touareg Enthusiast

My closest dealer is an hour + away. I was driving out of town in the opposite direction on a 1500 mile trip, and my 1500 miles Ad Blue warning light came on a few 100 miles ago. If it is this easy to fill, I see no need to fill it to the brim.
Old 11-09-2012   #28

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Its all the same stuff anyways, its not like VW manufactures adblue in Germany and ships it here, they are just getting their stuff private labelled from some other domestic supplier.
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
Its all the same stuff anyways, its not like VW manufactures adblue in Germany and ships it here, they are just getting their stuff private labelled from some other domestic supplier.
Yes for sure.
Other Treg owner friend phoned and talked to the Air1 company and they told them they sell it to VW.
We buy the Air1 in Canadian Tire or Walmart. (we don't live in a city)
We don't even have a Walmart!
Old 11-17-2012   #30
Touareg Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rineman1 View Post

P.S. The 1/2 gal bottle funnel is the way to go. If you spill the AdBlue around the tank, there is no way of cleaning it up.
Actually, there is a way to clean up adblue that spills around the fill, at least on a T2. Apparently, there is one or more drain holes in the space between the (black) tank and (painted) sheet metal shell. I know because I overfilled mine (using the bottle funnel) and then noticed the underbody drainage. Good thing is, that makes it easy to use plenty of freshwater to flush out any leftover adblue, cleaner, etc.

And don't fool yourself like I did that the bottle funnel is foolproof. (I'm the fool that proved this wrong. ) After overfilling by about a pint and trying to remove the funnel, the spring-loaded valve malfunctioned. That let several ounces of adblue spill out all around the filler neck. But as above, it fortunately turned out to be no big deal to cleanup the mess.

2010 VW Touareg V6TDI | AK Gray/Anthracite | Air Suspension | Lux Package | Factory Hitch | 17" Makalus (5) | CBI Fold Down Tire Carrier | Antec Underride Protection Plate & Extension | 265/65R17 General Grabber AT2s (5)
schubie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.