My wife's Touareg passenger side mirror did not move up and down, it just moved side to side, so here's how I replaced the motor:
1) Pushed side mirror all the way over towards the door opening a gap on the outside of the mirror housing.
2) I used a trim tool shown below to pry exactly where the two prongs on the outside of the mirror insert into the female portion of this connection. (be gentle, a little patience and it will come free).
3) Leave the mirror hanging on the wire and gently let it hang below the mirror housing. You now have total access the motor.
4) There are 3 size Torx 10 screws. You may have to press the motor in one direction or the other to get the screw driver all the way down to the screw.
5) Remove the screws and save them, you'll reuse these.
6) Pull of the motor and remove the cable from the back. I ended up breaking one clip on the old motor to remove wire harness.
7) Plug in the harness to the new motor and reinstall using the same steps backwards.
The estimate for labor was $165 from VW and $70 for the part. I ordered from 1stvw.com for $53 and total time for replacement was 15 minutes. Hope this helps someone.