Winch, where and how to mount - Club Touareg Forums
 9Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 03-20-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2007 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Question Winch, where and how to mount

Hi All, especially those of you who are varying engineering minded,

Putting this question out there to all although I know Steve Hedditch has done this. We had a quick chat during last years Buckenderra freezer-wetter-wind-athon Muster however I'd like to see/know how this has been done.

Does anyone have schematics, design and list of materials with accompanying photos of mounting a winch to a T2?

Which winch was used?

I'm really interested in doing this modification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-28-2017

Touareg: 2003 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Read
Hi SpaceSaver,

I see no-one has answered you in a week so I'm going to!

If you go to the Technical Forum and type in Winch, or perhaps winch plate, you will get threads on what people have done to mount a winch.

There was a VW winch mount that replaced the front crash bar completely, but though you will find pdf instructions on how to mount it somewhere on the forum, it does not have a part number and Solitaire (the Adelaide dealer) tried to find it for me but could not. Looks like it was for the T1 and is either not being produced anymore or being produced expensively somewhere in Eastern Europe or Russia!

Most of the Australian Treggers who have fitted a winch seem to have attached a winch plate to the front crash bar, and I'm following their example. I bought a crash bar off the front of a breaking T1 for AU$100 and I am having some mounts made up as per the attached photo (taken from a previous post) to allow a jeep winch plate to be bolted on. I'm then going to mount a Warn ZEON Platinum 10-S winch with synthetic rope. I'm using that winch as it is completely wireless controlled. Expensive, but means it can be hidden away without the need to reach in and engage a clutch.

My immediate problem was trying to find the Jeep winch plate as no-one in Aus seems to stock them, so in the end I have ordered it from the USA (a Westin T-Max Winch Mount Tray WES47-3104) from Morris 4x4. When it arrives and the bar is ready to install, I'll post some photos.

Regards, Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	173426  
Shermantank likes this.
post #3 of 37 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Garage
Ok, four weeks since I posted and the winch is installed!

The Jeep winch plate arrived from Morris 4x4 in the USA. Here is a picture of it with the crash bar:

I had the crash bar modified with mounts for the plate in a similar way that forum member Fawlty did for his winch. Here it is from the top:

And here it is from underneath:

This is a close up of one of the top mounts:

And this is a close up of the underside:

I gave it a zinc undercoat:

And then painted it black:

I dismantled the front grill and bumper, took off the existing crash bar and fitted the fabricated winch bar:

I had to cut out the rear of the winch plate a little on each side to take the turbo intercooler (?) pipes and I cut the front support for the bonnet locking mechanism so that it now rests on a piece of rubber on the top of the winch housing. I also had to cut the bottom off the plastic air deflectors so that they now sit on the winch plate. This is the deflector on the off side of the car ... the gaffa tape covers repairs I had made to the deflector which had shattered in a previous hit the bumper had sustained in a car park!

Here is the Warn winch during installation:

Here it is with the front plastic bumper support back in place:

And here is the finished installation:

There was plenty of room to install the winch, and the bulk of it sits behind the numberplate where there is no air intake. The top of the winch sits below the upper grill, so it does not interfere with air flow there, and the plastic angled deflectors, mentioned earlier, pick up air each side of the fairlead, directing air to the radiators behind the winch. I've had no overheating problems so far.

I chose the Warn Zeon Platinum 10s Winch (10,000lb/4,545 kg pull) as it has a wireless remote control and doesn't need manual clutch release. The wireless activation button on the back of the winch has to be left on for wireless operation and the switch has a flashing green led light, so there is a small current drain ... I don't think it will be a problem for the house battery and if I don't plan to use the winch for months, I can pop out the VW badge and reach in to switch the wireless off.

The Warn fairlead is huge, but it just fits in the lower grill!

Cheers, Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crash Bar and Winch Plate.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	176841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar with plate mounts (top).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	176849  

Name:	Bar with plate mounts (bottom).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	176857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Close up top mount.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	508.6 KB
ID:	176865  

Name:	Close up bottom.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	500.8 KB
ID:	176873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zinc undercoat.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	176881  

Name:	Painted.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	176889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mounting plate fitted.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	513.9 KB
ID:	176897  

Name:	Air deflector plastic moulding.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	656.9 KB
ID:	176905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winch mounted.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	625.0 KB
ID:	176913  

Name:	Front plastic support in place.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	682.1 KB
ID:	176921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Complete.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	542.1 KB
ID:	176929  

post #4 of 37 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Nice job. Photos tell the story so much better too!

Excellent Wikipedia info on all models:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buying or just bought a T1 or a T2? ESSENTIAL READING:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing by typing in site:
color="black"> word word word
post #5 of 37 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Sweet...

---
That is the difference between you and me, I never go back to the carpet store.
-Rick

My VW youtube Channel:
post #6 of 37 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Garage
A bit about the electrical connection of the winch... in the photo's posted earlier you will see that there is a red positive cable, covered with a black plastic conduit, and a black negative cable. These exit on the right hand side at the back of the winch and I fed them up to the truncated bonnet lock support and then out into the engine compartment through a small gap at the top of the radiator space on the left of the car (facing forward). All suitably cable-tied to stop any rubbing of the cables on the dreaded outback corregations!

The cables are designed to fit directly on to a battery in the engine compartment, so that's a problem on the Treg as there isn't one there! However, the cables are long enough to feed around the engine compartment to the positive terminal in the compartment. There is a black plastic terminal box beside the positive jump-start terminal (the one with the red plastic cover). If you open the terminal box, there are three positive cables there, one running directly from the under-seat house battery. The positive cable from the winch can enter that box at a convenient opening at the rear, and I attached it to the centre (large) lug of the three in the box.

The negative cable is more of a problem as it comes with a tag on it saying "Do not connect to vehicle body/chassis - connect directly to negative terminal of the battery". That's a bugger, as the negative jump start post in the engine compartment is not directly connected to the battery by cable, it is just screwed on to the metal body. There is no direct negative battery cable in the engine compartment, so I had to go to 12Volt Mt. Barker and buy 3m of matching cable that I bolted to the winch negative cable to extend it.

There is a small hole with rubber grommet in the top corner of the engine compartment which allows the cable to be fed into the fuse box area at the base of the windscreen, along between the fuse box and bonnet hinge, and through another small grommeted hole in the firewall into the cabin. With a bit of fiddling (and dropping the black panel under the dash in the passenger footwell helps) the cable can then run down behind the fuses inside the car, across the front of the footwell and along the centre tunnel under the carpet to the battery box under the seat to the negative post of the battery. Yes, and the extra 3m of cable just reached! Feeding it around was the hardest part of the whole process!

If you have changed the house battery, you will know how to access it ... if not, there is a "how to" description on this forum.

Cheers, Mike.
post #7 of 37 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Good work Mike, little more peace of mind when headed solo somewhere off the black stuff, must admit it is on my bucket list.
Also thanks for sharing the tip re the cables under the jump start +'ve post, didn't hear that one before, I'm sure it will come handy in the future

Did you get the version with the dyneema rope to cut back on unnecessary extra weight up front?

TonyB

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White, Enhancements: RNS 510 Nav + Bluetooth, Twin Batteries, Paddle Shifters, Steinbauer Power Module, Seikel Suspension, Fumoto sump valve, Custom underbody alloy protection, 18" Road Tyres, 17" ATM Off-road Tyres, 3 X Full Size Spares, OEM Roof Bars, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF + Roof Mounted Antenna, Great White LED Light Bar, Brembo 6 Spot 17Z Front Brake Upgrade .
post #8 of 37 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Garage
Hi TonyB,

The Warn Zeon Platinum 10S comes with 100 ft (30.48m) of synthetic rope ... Warn call it "Spydura". Looks expensive stuff, which is worrying as the Warn manual recommends it is replaced every 12 months! In 5 years I've never had to use my MaxTrax or Tred's for recovery, and have only used my recovery bridle and one of my snatch straps once, so I doubt I will be following Warn's replacement advice about the rope!

Warn's winch names give the game away ... the 10 stands for 10,000lb pull and the S stands for synthetic. Also, viewed from the front, if a winch has a roller fairlead it will have a wire cable, and if it has a hawse fairlead (no rollers) it will have a synthetic rope. Unless of course the owner is using the wrong fairlead and does not know that you should not use rollers with synthetic rope because of the risk of the rope jamming in the rollers and being pinch damaged!

Some numbers for you:

VW's front crash bar weighs 10 kg naked, and with the plate mount mods now weighs 15.45 kg.
The Westin winch mounting plate weighs 7.70 kg and the six nuts and bolts 0.52kg. The winch itself, with rope and fairlead comes in at 34 kg. So, the added weight up front totals 47.67 kg

Having approx 48kg extra hanging out in front, I can feel the extra weight in the steering ... it's just as precise, but feels a little more sluggish ... but maybe I'm just imagining it!

Cheers, Mike.
post #9 of 37 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

I wonder if an extra couple of psi or so in the front tyres might help?

Excellent Wikipedia info on all models:

Buying or just bought a T1 or a T2? ESSENTIAL READING:

Useful tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing by typing in site:
color="black"> word word word
post #10 of 37 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Garage
Hi Nooby,

Yep, I'll try that ... perhaps front and back to keep the tyre rolling circumferences the same ... as you have warned in the past!

Cheers, Mike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode