Club Touareg Forum banner

VW roof racks

30K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  Gison 
#1 ·
Anyone using and able to provide feedback on the OEM crossbars that you can buy as an accessory from VW. Specifically, are they noisy?
Also they want $500 for them! So I will research aftermarket options. No sunroof and to go on a 2015 model when I get it. Just need crossbars for surfboards. Want them to look good and be quiet.

#2 ·
I can only comment on mine which are T2 OEM, the T3 version will probably be different.
FWIW with mine no problem with noise up to 100kph, after that just a slight hum, nothing too obtrusive, I keep mine on all the time now.
The bars are very quick and easy to install, they are also marked front and rear, need to be put on correctly.

TonyB

#4 ·
Sounds promising. I notice the side rails on the car have two holes on their inside edge. Dealer told me they are for locking the OEM racks in position. does your have that system? Mine will end up living on the car permanently too.

I think thes are the OEM VW bars sold here in Australia. to me they look unnecessarily raised from the side rail height. I am guessing this is done so one accessory fits cars with and without sunroof.

I did see the Whispar bars but while no doubt quiet, they sit between the rails and will make lashing surfboards and gear on more difficult. They look good though and will work for me with no sunroof.

Because the 150KW sits right at the luxury Car Tax threshold I will probably end up buying them separately so I do not get gouged an extra $170 on top of the already steep $500. Hmmm, makes the $330 Whipbars look attractive.

#3 ·
I just fitted Side bars to my roof yesterday as it happens and there is a set of cross bars that look very aerodynamic, slightly oval in shape with flat couplings at the ends.

#5 ·
VW OEMs are fearfully expensive. I called them up for spare wheels, dog divider, etc.. way over-priced.

I recently got the rhinorack vortex roofrails. They're the oval shaped ones and find them pretty good. They're pretty quiet until I get strong crosswinds. .

#7 ·
Having said that, is your dealer open to selling the OEM roof racks as an add-on to be installed after the sale? That way you avoid the LCT, assuming you still want the OEM roof racks.

My dealer was cool with it.. my horizontal tow hitch and install were paid without the LCT.. the caveat was that I cud not install the tow hitch on the same day I collect the car.

I dun have my receipts of my aftermarket roofrack but.. I have a feeling aftermarket is a wee bit cheaper.. even without the LCT..

#8 ·
Yes my dealer is happy to do that and fit afterwards. However I have convinced myself that I want the Whispar bars now. They look super slim and neat and are about $350 vs $600 ish for the VW ones. Only rated 75kg vs 100kg, but am only carrying surfboards.

#9 ·
Hi, i bought some last week. Thule Wingbars are eqivalent to Whispbars and worth a look. The VW bars are similar in profile to the symetrically-profiled Thule Aero bars and I was told Thule makes the VW ones. I have a sunroof and went for the Thule option because I think the vw ones look high even for the sunroof. There are low profile feet available that will suit your application. Cost is about $450 for Thule - prices and car fit guide are on the net. Prices for Thule in Aust are strictly controlled by franchisees ( though one twit tried to rip me off) so pretty much sticker price. Whispbars are also nice and a bit less expensive - still bloody dear. I went for the Thule Wingbars and very happy. Was told both manufacturers claim their product is quietest in their own wind tunnels but both concede less than 2dB difference. 3dB represents a perceptible difference to the human ear so not a factor in purchase.

#10 ·
I have a set of whispbars for sale for $200. Haven't done much at all. They are usually off as they are noisy but only in the speed range of 70 - 85 km/hr. Anything else and they are pretty quiet. They sit close to the roof and that makes tying things on more difficult.

#11 ·
I have Rhino aero bars which are excellent at scaring off kangaroos since they whistle loudly above 60kph. I have tried a lot of different longitudinal mounting positions and other ad hoc fixes, all to no avail - so the bars go on only when needed.

#13 ·
Unky
What sort of feet are you using with the Rhino's? Are they mounted directly to the roof channels or on those side rails that VW fit. Also do they fit at the ends of the bars or do the bars stick out the side of the mount?

My Rhino Vortex bars (is this what you mean by aero bars?) are fairly quiet, I was surprised actually, as I thought they may have some noise associated with them. The mounts are on the channel in the roof, as I have no side rails, and the bars extend outside the actual mounts.

From the Rhino Rack website
Vortex bars (will have to check length) Vortex Bar - #VA137S | Rhino-Rack
Roof mounts were similar to those used here Vortex RLTP Roof Rack | Rhino-Rack

Mine is a 7L model and I see you have a 7P Touareg. It may be the different models have slightly altered airflow and that may affect sound. Will be interested in your setup as it all adds to the mix :)

#12 ·
Thanks for the good Gen. Interesting TimWhit that you find the whispbars noisy. Perhaps their closer proximity to the roof effects this. Also I can imagine how being close to the roof & between the rials makes attaching straps difficult.

Treglodyte, I would be interested to see a picture of your install. Just one of the bar ends and how the attach and high they sit on your Touareg. The Wingbars may indeed be the way to go. I see there are also Wingbar Edge which are like whispbars. Closer to the roof and perhaps therefore noisier.

Unkydunky, My past three SUVs (subaru/Toyots/Kia) over 17 years have all had OEM roof bars which turned out to be rebranded Rhino's. It is for this reason I am doing all the research. I don't plan to get caught with them again. I feel your pain :)

#14 ·
PJOD,

My Rhino bars are fitted to side rails. At first, I thought it was the feet (plastic edges) that were causing the noise so I taped the edges ... made no difference. Then made sure there no gaps in the insert that goes into the under-bar channel ... still noisy. Mentioned it to the Roof rack City rep at a car show who indicated it was a known problem and that a 'fix' was 'on the way'. Don't know if any 'fix' ever eventuated or if he was just trying to make me feel good.

Although no expert on the matter, I put the whistling down to the air flow across the roof of the Treg... while the aero bar shape might be good for airflow that hits the front bar horizontally (directly into the thin edge of the bar), I think that the airflow is striking the bar at an angle and this is causing turbulence that leads to whistling.

Maybe, round bars might be better suited than aero bars for Treg ... who knows??

#15 ·
#16 ·
Ok these are standard Wingbars (the 757 feet) and there is plenty of lashing space if you don't have an open sunroof.

Automotive exterior Automotive carrying rack Roof rack Vehicle Automotive luggage rack

Automotive exterior Auto part Roof rack Vehicle Windshield

The last pic was to show how sunroof collides with the rear feet and so dictates the max forward position (for others as i know you have no roof). But you can see the clearance they offer if that is important.

However i would have chosen Wingbar Edge feet if I didn't have sunroof because of very neat appearance and they are designed to be quieter. Thule has a range of strapping options that need little clearance.

#19 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Roof rack

I'm not sure why but I had to do photos separate.

Anyway mate, I've got a 150 and it's awesome. Went through same roof rack process as you and was contemplating the whispbar even with sun roof as I take them off when not in use but went the wingbar for strapping down options and I am so glad I did. Really quick and easy as I just loop over the overhangs and bam it's done. You won't regret it.

#23 ·
.. Went through same roof rack process as you and was contemplating the whispbar even with sun roof as I take them off when not in use but went the wingbar for strapping down options and I am so glad I did. Really quick and easy as I just loop over the overhangs and bam it's done. You won't regret it.
Thank you Treglodyte and copwahn for posting the photos. Wingbar looks neat and not too high with 757 feet. Thule site says it is their quietest rack. I saw a whispbar on a Tuguan down the street and while neat, it will be a PITA strapping boards and surf skis on. To be able to use the overhangs to loop and strap is so convenient & is what I have been used to.

Interestingting andy205wrc that the OEM VW bars whistle on your setup. Older model car but prob similar bars.

Anyway it looks like the Thule Wingbar with 757's is the way to go.

#22 ·
Maybe too late but i have genuine VW roof bars on my T1.

I have the integral roof slots so the bars fit into the channel and slide up and down the roof channel as required.

With the roof box on you don't hear a whisper, with the rails on and put together (looks real nice like a roof aero spoiler) get to 60 mph or 100kmh and the noise is so bad you have to slow down!!!

#24 ·
I tried the Whispbars but found the quality wanting when carrying a spare wheel and a few 20's of diesel. The hex screws which are used to tighten the mounts kept coming loose and there was a significant rubbing noise as a consequence. (Eventually the srews were stripped) I decided to bite the bullet and buy genuine OEM's for $500 and they work a treat, and even come with a torque wrench hex screwdriver for correct "tightness" of the locking nuts. I bought four small silver VW cast aluminium logos and used black Sika 252 to glue them on to the bar ends. Looks just great!!

#29 ·
I tried the Whispbars but found the quality wanting when carrying a spare wheel and a few 20's of diesel. The hex screws which are used to tighten the mounts kept coming loose and there was a significant rubbing noise as a consequence. (Eventually the srews were stripped) I decided to bite the bullet and buy genuine OEM's for $500 and they work a treat...
Sounds like the OEMs are pretty good then, albeit expensive.

In defence of the wingbars, you surely must have been close to, if not overloading them. 75kg load rating and you had a spare wheel and three (if not more?) jerries up there perhaps on a carry rack! Surely that would all weigh 100kg or more.

Anyhow I am going to get Thule Wingbars bares as I prefer their look and practicality.

#30 ·
Not sure I have noticed the issues seen with wing bars and loading. I've had a full spare, 2 x jerries of diesel, one of water, gas bottle, 2 x swags, an axe and shovel loaded on mine in a rhino ally rack basket and the thing didn't move, creak, etc while hammering through beach dunes etc. very happy. I will dig up some photos from my wife's phone and attach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.