Club Touareg Forum banner

Underbelly protection

12K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  Singh 
#1 ·
Sharing some frustration with other owners out there. I have had enough of scraping the underbelly of my 3.0 TDI Treg when off the black stuff. I will shortly get my VW measured up for underbelly plates (alum). The guy who does this is very good with fabrication and will do most things asked of him. If we can get mine done for reasonable cost I might see if he's interested in doing a kit style pattern for DIY. I'm sure there will be some interest from other owners if at reasonable cost. If it works out, I will post some more info and pics etc.

#5 ·
Hi All,

I spoke with Porshe Friday and the steel protection plate is available and in stock in Melbourne. Part No. 955-107-981-00

Total price $355 including GST. has any one looked at the mounting difference.

The only issue could be to do with front plastics on Touareg compared to the Cayenne may be different.

Regards

Gerald

#9 ·
I spoke with Porshe Friday and the steel protection plate is available and in stock in Melbourne. Part No. 955-107-981-00

Total price $355 including GST. has any one looked at the mounting difference.

The only issue could be to do with front plastics on Touareg compared to the Cayenne may be different.
I think it would be quite amusing if Porsche had a bash plate and snorkle before VW. People often say why would you take an expensive ehicle like the Touareg off road, add 50% for the Porsche!

At a price like $350, I'd be interested in a bashplate, as we do go off road.

#6 ·
I bought a set of plates a couple of weeks ago for my R5. They're not a perfect fit as they were developed on a V6 TDi and apparently do fit on the V10 as well. I think because I have a manual transmission, some of the mounting points are slightly different.

I'm going to measure them up and modify them slightly. Once I'm happy with the fit, I'll send the drawings to whoever's interested and you guys can have your own cut & bent if you'd like.

BTW they're 4mm mild steel, which I think is a bit overkill. They're heavy. 3mm would've been ok.

IMO rock sliders are actually more important than sump/gearbox protection. I went through a relatively rough trail 2 days after fitting the plates. There were only two minor scratches on the plates but I put a serious dent in my RH sill just below the RH rear door.

#7 ·
What brand did you buy, Porshe?

#10 ·
Bash plate followup

Hi All,
I recently made an aluminium 3mm bash plate with rolled up nose which I fitted from the small plastic spoiler under the bumper all the way back to the gearbox cross member and spanning from rail to rail. (quite a monster). However after driving up a track with some smallish protruding rocks, what I would call easy/ medium driving we managed to pierce through and severely dent the plate. Of course all the Patrols and Cruisers made it up with no problems. I am now about to build a 6mm Ali plate version and maybe take a little extra time/care while driving.There are limits to touaregs when off road driving.

#11 ·
#12 ·
I might drop by Porsche Centre in Melbourne this week and have a chat. See how/if they can fit the plate to my R50. IF it's a goer I may bite the bullet. Let you know once I've talked to them.

Wish VW would learn from Porsche's marketing dept...Not a bad offer here... http://www.porschemelbourne.com.au/default2.asp?active_page_id=252

Cheers

#13 ·
Excellent Kim, I'll be interested to see how you get on.
Don't let them sell you a Cayenne :)

I agree about that offer. I'm pretty sure I read the floor mats from the Cayenne fit in the Toureg, I wonder if the boot is the same size?

#14 ·
I've booked in for a measure up mid-August for custom fabrication. I'll keep forum posted once the thing gets going. There may be merit in a DIY kit if the price is right. If the cost is OK, I'll look at full underbelly plating to the rear diff. It will need to be easy to unbolt. Not looking at anything h/duty (ie steel). Alloy plate will serve well so long as the driver does his job at the wheel.

#16 ·
underbelly.. the untold story of Touareg protection.. continues..

porsche sell a part for the cayenne.. for $355 inc. GST
which has a VW part no. on it.. how come we're not surprised..

the part no: 7LO 825 235 A

VW sell the same part for.. $560 inc gst.

they are the same part.. fit both Touareg and Cayenne.. how do I know?

a friend , who couldn't make the Vic. GTG, bought one from Porsche, and had it fitted yesterday.

go figure.

#19 ·
underbelly.. the untold story of Touareg protection.. continues..

porsche sell a part for the cayenne.. for $355 inc. GST
which has a VW part no. on it.. how come we're not surprised..

the part no: 7LO 825 235 A

VW sell the same part for.. $560 inc gst.

they are the same part.. fit both Touareg and Cayenne.. how do I know?

a friend , who couldn't make the Vic. GTG, bought one from Porsche, and had it fitted yesterday.

go figure.
That's extreemly interesting.
I assuming this is the same thing as these pictures show an owner self installing on his cayenne.

Cayenne Owners Gallery :: Skid Plate Installation

I'm going to have a look and see if mine has any scratches, indicating previous close calls.

I wonder what other parts are compatible. I'm quite surprised that Porsche have the cheaper parts.

#25 ·
Fellas, that parts breakdown looks to be EXACTLY the same as the plastic parts ex-factory when built (nsamely parts id 10, 11 and 21. Part id 12 is the pissy metal bracket....IT'S ALL CRAP PLASTIC I'M GUESSING. I suspect a metal plate would not be formed as the illustration depicts these parts ; it's too complex. With plastic, easy to mould, but not easy to fabricate in metal for those three pieces. Just my opinion, I may be wrong, but I am thinking I'm correct after seeing the images and will bet my family 'jewels' I am right. Want metal? Please see the US and Aussie threads on metal skid plates. 1/4 alloy plate....hard core!

#26 ·
I Recall visiting Porsche some 12 months ago.

Something wasn't right. The price was a number of parts and added up to much more then $355.

I recall it was just some thin tin plate painted black, nothing special as I recall. I may visit them again. I am heading that way t'mow.

Regards

Gerald

#28 ·
2mm won't work. It may look OK, but no real protection for 2.3T of Treg in the wild. 1/4" is more like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.