Club Touareg Forum banner

T3 wiper blades replacement

26K views 59 replies 35 participants last post by  Snerlo 
#1 ·
Just went to get some new wiper blades for my T3.

$70 a side for front, and $50 for rear. I nearly fell over.

Has anyone had any success with aftermarket blades, or perhaps OEM from OS?

#2 ·
VW Berwick (Vic) replaced my front wipers (part of a roadworthy) for around $80 for the pair and I nearly fell over with that price!
Might be worth checking other stealers - that sound too much of a rip-off even for VW Aus…
You could try and get some BOSCH Aerotwin - great blades, cheaper than VW but still a bit expensive...

#3 ·
When I checked Bosch Aerotwin online, T3 did not come up on list of compatible vehicles ... perhaps just a matter of that list not having been updated for some time.

I opted instead for Rain-X Latitude 26" from US eBay store - front pair shipped to Aust for total of < $70 versus quote from local VW stealer of $140 for the front pair.

#4 ·
My OE set of Bosch (?) windshield wiper blades lasted longer than 1.5 years and was still in so-so good condition when my Service Adviser recommended replacing them as part of manufacturer warranty. Who wouldn’t accept this offer? It is funny to note that I had almost 19K miles on odometer at a time or replacement and my vehicle is definitely not a “garage queen”. So, it might be worth asking your dealer if they can take care of replacement before looking for aftermarket wiper blades – if your car is still on original VW warranty.

#13 ·
It'll be interesting to see if the blades they are selling are within their "best before" date. The last set of 7P (T3) blades I bought at the dealer clearly showed a manufacture date, and an expiry date on the VW box label, I think it was a 3 year window of use. I guess it's all about the rubber performance....

#18 ·
Same wiper blades on either side. I believe they are 26". (An old automotive trick to make life easy)

#20 ·
Just went to get some new wiper blades for my T3.

$70 a side for front, and $50 for rear. I nearly fell over.

Has anyone had any success with aftermarket blades, or perhaps OEM from OS?
I would approach the use of aftermarket blades with caution.

You may find that various systems on the car no longer work, such as the rain sensing function.

Also, make sure that you replace BOTH sides even if only one side is worn.

If you don't do this and then use the wipers on a dry windscreen, where the blades can't slip, you will risk damage to the wiper motor due to wind-up.

This advice is offered in good faith and on the understanding that I know abolutely nothing about what I'm talking about.

#22 ·
Holy cow, great price for OEM from that 1stParts link. Thanks.

Also orderd fog light for $95...my cover got cracked. Dealer wanted $300 to replace a single fog light assembly....

#24 ·
I replaced mine in June of this year, bought from my local VW dealership in north Vancouver, Canada, list price on the front wiper blades (7P0-955-425-B , fresh, in date stock) was $31.20 each, net price was $26.52. Rear wiper blade (7P0-955-427) was $18.20 list, $15.45 net to me.
No freight charges, just sales tax on top, as usual.

#26 ·
The ones I it were made dated 01/2013 and expire 01/2016.

#29 ·
Stretching the topic slightly, I just bought set of 4 rubber mats (Euro style) from a VW Dealer parts division here in Australia for $220. I recently ordered a TDI180 and was quoted $360 for mats - declined politely. In Aust when you buy a new car the value above $70k is charged Luxury Vehicle Tax 33%. This applies to all accessories and legally applies to any purchase made within 2 years of the vehicle sale. So at most $90 of the above is LVT. When I went to the parts counter I just said it was for a 2011 model so avoided any issues.

I did try ebay, USA dealers, UK dealers, even Chinese. Couldn't find Euro mats in Right Hand Drive.

#30 ·
... In Aust when you buy a new car the value above $70k is charged Luxury Vehicle Tax 33%. This applies to all accessories and legally applies to any purchase made within 2 years of the vehicle sale. ...
The LVT only applies to accessories included at time of sale.

Where you may be getting confused is that if you sell a vehicle less than 2 years old the LVT applies.

#31 ·
c4ar thanks for correcting my error. I checked the ATO web site and you are correct - LVT only applies to accessories sold with the purchase of the vehicle. How the confusion came about was that two sales people (same dealership) told me on separate occasions that if I chose to get windows tinted by an after-market company that company would be legally required to charge me LVT on the full value of the tinting even if I had it done up to two years after purchasing the car. I don't think they were intentionally fibbing but obviously had a common belief. One was a car salesperson, the other was the accessories salesperson that gets you after you commit to the car sale. But I can't see anything on the ATO web site backs this up.

I hate misleading everybody so THANK YOU for correcting.

#32 ·
Not a problem. I've also had misinformation from salesmen on this subject. I'd been told that any accessories that they put on the car in the first 6 months would attract LVT. :mad:
I think some of it comes from the fact that they don't want to be accused of double invoicing by the ATO. The rest is that they are hoping that you'll loose sight of the exhorbitant price of accessories and options in the overall price of the car.

#33 ·
Right-hand drive 2005 2.5 TDI

I live in the USA and need to bring a set of both two front, and the rear, wipers for my daughters UK spec 2005 TDI 2.5 with me to Ireland next weekend. She was quoted 60 euros just for the front, whereas Rainex are around $14 each at my local Walmart here in Houston! The spec books for non-OEM wipers (Rainex, Bosch, Michelin) show two different sizes for various year models of Touareg. How can that be? Can someone confirm are the UK spec (same as Oz?) wipers 26" or 24" and what is rear?

Also, does anyone have experience of Michelin Stealth, Bosch (no metal springs) similar design or Rainex compared to the OEM style?

Reason I ask about non-OEM, I switched from OEM Bosch on my Merc R350 to Rainex and had a terrible problem with the blades 'jumping' on the screen with a horrible vibration effect and I don't want to leave my daughter with a similar problem with her Teg.

Any and all advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Really appreciate

#34 ·
VW will try & sell you the entire wiper assembly at around $75.00 each.
However ask for part number 1KO 955 429, which is just the insert and costs $15 each. (Check their expiry date on purchase !)

#35 ·
Have just received a VW dealer quote for replacement T3 (2012) front wiper blades of AUD$87 for each wiper blade (That's right, $174 for two wiper blades). Also told that the rubber inserts are not sold as a separate item. The rubber inserts appear to be exactly the same as any other inserts, if only I could remove the original inserts. The MyTreg Forum has a piece (Thanks NoobyT) about replacing the inserts, which requires the removal of the small plastic end pieces on the wiper arms, so that the inserts can be removed. However, I have been unsuccessful in getting these end pieces to unclip. Has anyone tried this method, and if so, how did you get the end clips off without breaking them.
Thanks in advance, Bill

#36 ·
I think removing end piece refers to the rear blade the fronts you have to remove by pulling blade out and sliding a new blade in the same direction as the one way tooth that is at one end you may need to push the tooth down a little but it is able to be done. A spare parts guy told me it was impossible he wasn't happy when I showed him the wiper with new blade fitted
Colin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.