Snow Chains - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Community Forums > Club Touareg Region Directory > Australia & New Zealand

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 06-27-2007   #1

Snow Chains

Hello all, I am running cooper 245/65/17 tyres on Treg R5 17" Rims. Has anyone bought snow chains to fit this tyre profile ?

This is a very wierd size tyre in the world of snow chain makers; so far, the best response I have is to have them custom made at a whopping price of $590.

Reality is I just want to carry them to keep the Road Nazi's at bay, I cant really see me using them a great deal. I tend to drive over the high country a couple of times a year and I am sick and tired of having to rent them at $40 a pop, Id rather just carry them.

Not sure on other states, in Vic the law states that when the carry chain sign is posted, you have to have chains on board by law, even if your in a 4WD

Would appreciate any advice, thanks

Dave

Old 07-03-2007   #2
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Try the guys down at Roof Carrier Systems, Cnr Bourke & Toorak Rds in Glen Iris. http://www.roofcarriersystems.com.au/

Pretty good range of all sorts of gear, including snow tyres too.

Cheers

Old 07-15-2007   #3

Just got chains myself. I went to Mt Beauty store to buy and the guy said to check the chain fit before buying as from his experience the chain sizes were never always right on 4x4 vehicles. He actually had to go down 1 full size because the recommended size was way to big when we fitted it to the vehicle.(Ive got the std dunlop 17"). I suggest you get the people to actually fit the size first to check it is correct. Im glad I did as the stated correct size was wrong

Regards

Kevin
Old 07-15-2007   #4

I used snow chains only once in Slovakia. Damm that thing rips ice like **** - literally.... Especially with 4WD. I helped several people out of bad situations, I was proud of my car that day, never let me down, the Treg is a champ on snow
Old 07-17-2007   #5

Clipper, what did you pay for the chains if you dont mind me asking ?

Thx

Dave
Old 07-25-2007   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozvino
Clipper, what did you pay for the chains if you dont mind me asking ?

Thx

Dave

Hi ...I paid $150.00 second hand. I bought the rental co's chains as they used the best on the market and as no one ever wears them after renting going to Falls Creek the chains were 2 seasons old and never worn! To get new ones off the shelf I was up for 450.00 and they were not as good as the rental chains. Also the guy at the Mt Beauty Rental place(Ithink it was Rocky Valley ski hire) said he would let me trade them in when I change cars when the treg's out of lease. He was the one who recommended fitting first before buying

Regards

Kevin
Old 07-27-2007   #7

Rud chains for your tyre size in stock at Roof Carrier Systems. give richard a call on 03 9822 9539
Old 08-09-2007   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper_from_oz View Post
Hi ...I paid $150.00 second hand. I bought the rental co's chains as they used the best on the market and as no one ever wears them after renting going to Falls Creek the chains were 2 seasons old and never worn! To get new ones off the shelf I was up for 450.00 and they were not as good as the rental chains. Also the guy at the Mt Beauty Rental place(Ithink it was Rocky Valley ski hire) said he would let me trade them in when I change cars when the treg's out of lease. He was the one who recommended fitting first before buying

Regards

Kevin
So what size did eventually fit? & what size are your tyres. I'm thinking of going from NSW snow fieldto Adelaide via Khancoban, I assume chains will be required anyone know?
TIA
Cheers
Old 08-09-2007   #9

some info on changes to the snow chain requirements in NSW...............

The RTA is reviewing the NSW laws for snow chains to include other than 2WD vehicles .
" other than 2WD vehicles" includes AWDs and 4WDs as there is no difference in these two names in the definitions of the RTA and the Commonwealth Department of Transport.
If the new law is passed and the implementation requirements are finalized the new regulations will likely apply from 2008
This change has come about because of the increasing number of "incidents" involving AWD vehicles in the areas where snow chains are required to be carried in NSW.
RTA has wants to improve the road safety for ALL road users and to reduce the congestion and delays on the roads when an incident occurs.
RTA statistics show more than 50% of these incidents involve other than 2WD vehicles.

Snow chains are fitted to either the front or rear of AWDs based on the information supplied in the vehicle owners manual.
Many vehicles have insufficient clearance between the tyre and the suspension to allow any chains to be fitted.
The owners manual will show tyre sizes that snow chains can be fitted to correctly.
In this age of litigation there is a liability component if a vehicle is used with chains fitted to a tyre size where the owners manual states “ The use of snow chains is not permitted.”

The RTA also advise that safety of any AWD vehicle in snow and icy conditions is determined by the tyres.
High speed rated summer tyres, all-season tyres, off-road tyres and all-terrain tyres, by definition are not winter/snow tyres.
AWD summer tyres become like hard plastic when the temperature falls below 7° thereby losing the flexibility needed to build up sufficient grip for braking, for starting traction and for cornering.
Off-road and all-terrain AWD tyres are not specifically designed for winter/snow driving either.
These types of AWD tyres are designed for off-road driving on gravel, sand and rocks and have a very high noise level.
First and foremost, the single most important aspect of a winter tire is the tread compound that remains soft at lower temperatures.
Under cool conditions—not just cold or frigid conditions—the rubber in the tyre gets even harder.
This stiffer tread compound does not conform to irregular road texture as well, and as a result has less actual contact with the road surface.
A winter tire compound remains soft and pliable at lower temperatures.
Because off-road tyres have very limited siping on their tread they provide little traction in icy conditions.

Many AWD tyres are rated M/S, M+S or M&S, i.e., mud and snow.
The term “mud and snow” is very misleading.
Established by the USA Rubber Manufacturers Association, the M+S designation refers only to the tread pattern.
The M+S standard calls for a tyre with grooves at the outside of the tread that extend into the centre.
It also means that 25% of the tyre tread contact surface be open, i.e., a more open tread pattern.
However, there are no performance standards to meet or traction tests to pass.
Any tyre with grooves at angles and with 25% of the tread void can be labeled as M+S.
And on icy snow and on ice, the open tread grooves have zero effect on performance.
Control of the vehicle comes strictly from equal parts of the compound adhesion and the effects from the tread sipes.
In 1999, the RMA defined a real “snow” or winter tyre with its severe snow-rating.
The RTA is using AWD tyres that pass this performance test and are embossed with the "snowflake on a mountain peak" icon.
Severe snow-rated tyres must provide traction at least 10% better than a standard reference test tyre.
The off-road, all-terrain and all-season M+S tyres cannot pass this test.
The M+S rating doesn’t mean much.
The severe snow rating does.

Always remember that no matter how many safety features an AWD vehicle has it is the tyres that determines how it drives and handles on snow and ice.

Rud chains in stock at Roof Carrier Systems. give richard a call on 03 9822 9539
Old 08-25-2007   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
So what size did eventually fit? & what size are your tyres. I'm thinking of going from NSW snow fieldto Adelaide via Khancoban, I assume chains will be required anyone know?
TIA
Cheers
Not sure of size as when I went to look at the chains just before there were no size markings on the actual chains. I dont have an original bag to refer to either so all I can offer is that the guy from Rocky Valley Mt Beauty tried the size recommended for the 17" tyre profile and needed to go down at least one size when we tried fitting the chains. Sorry I cant help anymore than that.

Kevin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.