Club Touareg Forum banner

Pics & Videos of the last offroad/Outback Trip

13K views 65 replies 24 participants last post by  Singh 
#1 ·
Did a big trip in Sept/Oct and covered the Tanami Road & Gibb River road. Love being offroad and exploring the outback.
Sharing some pictures & videos, hopefully inspire others to get out there and make the best of their Touareg.
This was a 12,000km trip. Besides the two flats across Gibb River Road, which is notorious for the sharp rocks littered across, everything else went well.

Thinking of doing Anne Beadell or the Gunbarrel next year. Wonder if anyone here would be interested...

This is the route we took...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's a few video clips....

#5 ·
Was awesome indeed Alex, been doing a trip like this each year since the first Touareg 10years ago.....hoping to continue :)
join us for Anne Beadell?

#4 ·
Hi Mate,

Nice run! The sad part is having to go back to work.. Only one comment is that I think you a a braver man than I, doing night driving on the Tanami Track or anywhere in the Northwest. Nothing like a bull camel sitting on your bonnet (hood for the yanks).

Let me know when your down this way next.

Stu...

#6 ·
G'day Stu
Yep challenging back at work and looking ahead to the next adventure come winter.
Good point re travel at night. Now you know why I put so much effort in drilling and putting a light bar in. Had very good lighting.
Despite all the planning varying conditions meant driving slower to get to places or spending more time sightseeing so had to driving into dusk.
personally love the night drive sometimes.
Do it slow with plenty of breaks and you enjoy it and keep it safe.

Talking about camels, saw few....

Attachments

#7 ·
pics

few shots of the trip

Attachments

#8 ·
few more

random pics

Attachments

#9 ·
Pics

few more

Attachments

#13 ·
cheers mate. surprisingly didnt get to see much wild life till we hit end of Tanami and then NT.....crocs yes!

Attachments

#11 ·
pics

few more

Attachments

#12 ·
pics

more pics

Attachments

#15 ·
Thanks for the great pics and commentary. I traveled along parts of the Anne Beadell Highway about 25 years ago. It had been neglected and was more bush bashing than outback highway. The traditional owners are planning to increase tourism to Emu and Maralinga so there could be improvements coming. A 2009 report about the trip: Anne Beadell Highway @ ExplorOz Blogs
Thanks murraycod.
Been researching it a bit and preparing for the challenges. Breakdowns are a serious consideration. Such tracks are best done in a group.
Touaregs do well over corrugations and such terrain from my experience.
Maybe you can join and show us the way :)

#19 ·
Thanks GazzaK. Timing and route was perfect, saw all the spots we wanted to.
Will explore pilbara next time out there

#20 ·
Well done Singh. Great shots and video. Must have slept for days afterwards???? Dub

#22 ·
Cheers Dubby. Rolled back into Sydney life on saturday and back at work on Monday.
had the best sleep during the trip, was quite adventurous and relaxing.
Considering a roof top tent- james baroud, for next time

#21 ·
Looks like a lot of fun! You should put up some bigger pictures if you don't mind, I would love to stare at the originals of 1224 and 1246 (the river crossing) as the backdrop is particularly gorgeous.

On another note, did you paint your headlight surrounds? Something looks different about your headlights, but I can't tell for sure.

#23 ·
Looks like a lot of fun! You should put up some bigger pictures if you don't mind, I would love to stare at the originals of 1224 and 1246 (the river crossing) as the backdrop is particularly gorgeous. On another note, did you paint your headlight surrounds? Something looks different about your headlights, but I can't tell for sure.
Thanks! I'll try posting the larger size of a few, but the website compresses it i think.
Landscape is amazing, cant wait to get back out there!

Headlights et all are stock. 2006 v10s had black inserts within the headlights. Vw removed it from 2007.

#25 ·
Cheers. has served well for 8 years... here are some night shots, one of a 'freshie' and the 'queen victoria' landmark

Attachments

#28 ·
Thanks! Join us next time :)

#32 ·
Singh: It's five star hotels, a villa or nothing for me.

I don't **** in a bucket and then roll my poo in a barrel to the disposal tank!!

Talk to Loz!

#34 ·
Amazing trip Singh and in such a short time! 2 punctures with 2 spares, did you manage to get replacements on route? Did I see a max speed of 202.1kph on the tablet? Must have been wheel spin as you certainly wouldn't have exceeded the speed limit at any time.
Stupid enforcemant of the law really to say you can't exceed the limit even when passing say a B double or road train (if your game) when your supposed to pass as quickly and safely as possible. To me it's a contradiction. John

#38 ·
Amazing trip Singh and in such a short time! 2 punctures with 2 spares, did you manage to get replacements on route? Did I see a max speed of 202.1kph on the tablet? Must have been wheel spin as you certainly wouldn't have exceeded the speed limit at any time. Stupid enforcemant of the law really to say you can't exceed the limit even when passing say a B double or road train (if your game) when your supposed to pass as quickly and safely as possible. To me it's a contradiction. John
Cheers John!
3 weeks is all we could afford and perhaps right for our preference at this stage. Perhaps retirement will allow for a different planning.

The two punctures were within 30mins in the last leg of Gibb. One we replaced there and then- side wall rupture but for the second one we able to roll into el questro and get it fixed there.
Gibb had more tyre carcasses littered around than any other stretch i've travelled on.

Mate you have a good eye! That must have been from the speed recorded at a track day prior to the trip or an error in the software :)

Travelling at the legal limit of 130 around NT is great, you can cover so much easily, found myself more alert

#36 ·
Amazing pictures! Thanks for sharing!

#37 ·
Obviously a great experience Singh. Thanks heaps for sharing your photos and videos.

#39 ·
Thanks Rossco
We need a trip down south, been a while now, maybe the high country this time!

#40 ·
.... Thinking of doing Anne Beadell or the Gunbarrel next year. Wonder if anyone here would be interested... ..
What time of year are you thinking of Singh, and how long were you aiming to take? Depending on family commitments (mother 94 depending on health - and whether she makes it that far) could be able to join in. Based in Adelaide so not so far for me.

Nooby, I am sure we can arrange a suitable thunderbox for you - have an old speaker box with approprate size hole, + one surplus toilet seat, + one shovel (for you to dig hole - sandy soil so will be easy) and we have all the comforts of home

Oh and we get the entertainment of watching you dig and then dance (can supply redbacks for toilet seat at no extra charge :)

#43 ·
Nooby, I am sure we can arrange a suitable thunderbox for you - have an old speaker box with approprate size hole, + one surplus toilet seat, + one shovel (for you to dig hole - sandy soil so will be easy) and we have all the comforts of home

Oh and we get the entertainment of watching you dig and then dance (can supply redbacks for toilet seat at no extra charge :)
Isn't that dig, dump, dance . . .? :dance:

#41 ·
Btw Singh
Have enjoyed looking at your pictures and vicariously enjoying the travels through them. Quite relaxing being the armchair traveller!!!
Thanks for sharing. Anne Beadall is tempting

Peter

#42 ·
Btw Singh Have enjoyed looking at your pictures and vicariously enjoying the travels through them. Quite relaxing being the armchair traveller!!! Thanks for sharing. Anne Beadall is tempting Peter
G'day Peter,
Thanks, good to know.
Havent put a date on it but from experience it would have to be during the winter months for sure.
Will work on it and firm plans over coming months, would be great if you can join.

#44 ·
Singh,
That looks absolutely amazing. Would love to do a trip like that someday. I know that there are places here in the states that have some back roads that would be fun to travel. I will definitely have to look into doing something like this someday.

Thank you for the amazing photos. You guys have some beautiful country down there.

#47 ·
Singh, That looks absolutely amazing. Would love to do a trip like that someday. I know that there are places here in the states that have some back roads that would be fun to travel. I will definitely have to look into doing something like this someday. Thank you for the amazing photos. You guys have some beautiful country down there.
Thanks ArgonSr. Its a very safe country to undertake such travels. With friendly locals in every corner and amazing scenery and vistas you cant go wrong. You will be greeted and made welcome by warm hearted aussies such this lovely couple from outback Queensland we met.

Feel welcome and supported whenever you wish to head down under.
Similarly i often think of doing an east to west drive across both US and Canada

Attachments

#45 ·
That seems like a fantastic trip Singh :)

Thanks for sharing!

#46 ·
I rarely visit Oz page. Discussions are mostly country specific: spares sourcing, dealers, local fees, etc. My thanks goes to the author for riveting story, comprehensive and interesting coverage, magnificent views and videos (especially those menacing crocs). Singh, you might have fab time there. :) Keep going!

#48 ·
Thanks Njord! Pleasure to have you 'visit' downunder virtually :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.