Outback travel - Club Touareg Forums
 10Likes
  • 6 Post By unkydunky
  • 4 Post By paulm57

post #1 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Outback travel

A fellow treg owner at work and her husband decided to buy a Ford Wildtrak ute to tow their caravan through the outback because they weren't confident to take their MY15 V8 diesel treg. Their first trip with the Ford was terrible and from reports they missed the Treg towing abilities and all round finesse. Anyone with stories/photos of experiences with using their Treg in the bush I can pass on to her to give confidence .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Twice from Canberra to Kununurra (across the Tanami Track) and all around the Kimberley (Gibb River Road, including out past Kalumburu) - never missed a beat. Towing an off-road camper trailer. Photo in my avatar taken on the road from Drysdale Station to Kalumburu.

Continually used to get around the paddocks (more like scrub) on the farm. Kinda abusing the Treg by filling the boot with fencing material or stock feed.

202,000 km in 5.5 years, with a lot of it on dirt roads.

With that record, I guess my resale value is crap, but I hope to get another 200,000km out of my Treg.
hedditch, Dubby, Steve_L and 3 others like this.

2012 V6 TDI180 4XMotion
air suspension, area view and sports interior (brushed aluminium trim, paddle shift
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, heated steering wheel, alloy pedals, privacy glass)

ContiCross Contact AT 265/65R17 tyres, HR towbar, Rhino roof bars, bash plate by Dragline1570
VCDS software adaptation to disable useless Stop/Start function
post #3 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
My only concerns would be ensuring you had robust tyres and some protection for the tailgate window. A decent service prior to departure is a no-brainer. We did the Kimberley/Pilbara with a camper trailer and have done extensive outback travel with our 3.3 tonne Patriot van. Treg - fantastic towing machine. Cheers, Dub

MY16 V6 TDI (180kw) Light Silver
20'6" Sunland Patriot off-road caravan

Sold...MY08 V10TDI - Galapagos Anthracite Metallic, Sioux Napa Leather, Piano black inserts

Sold...MY08 2.0TDI DSG Golf

post #4 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiganderson4 View Post
A fellow treg owner at work and her husband decided to buy a Ford Wildtrak ute to tow their caravan through the outback because they weren't confident to take their MY15 V8 diesel treg. Their first trip with the Ford was terrible and from reports they missed the Treg towing abilities and all round finesse. Anyone with stories/photos of experiences with using their Treg in the bush I can pass on to her to give confidence .
Like dubby and unkydunky, many kms offroad. Victorian Highlands, Flinders, Simpson Desert, Cordillo Downs Road and many more. Just about to leave on a 10-12,000 km trip across the guts via the Plenty and the Tanami, then the Gibb River/Kimberleys and back home under the Gulf via the Savanah Way. And agree with Dubby, make sure you have good tyres (and recovery gear, although never needed so far with the Treg).

Anyone had or heard of Treg rear tailgate window breaks from stones? Have had stones bounce up on other vehicles, so far with the vehicle fitted flaps and the camper trailer we tow we don't seem to get anything bouncing back with the Treg?

Cheers Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Birdsville 2015-On top of Big Red after Campertrailer trial run 27Jun15a-r.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	649.3 KB
ID:	178825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Birdsville 2015-on the Cordillo Downs road to Birdsville 26Jun15a-r.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	526.7 KB
ID:	178833  

Name:	Birdsville 2015-Simpson Desert Test Run with Camper Trailer 27Jun15a-r.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	531.3 KB
ID:	178841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Birdsville 2015-aerial drone photo Brachina Gorge Flinders Ranges 19Jun15a-r.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1,016.2 KB
ID:	178849  

Name:	Victoria Highlands - Day1 Denise Paul halfway across Swampy Plains River Crossing 10Nov15a-r.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	872.7 KB
ID:	178857  
unkydunky, Dubby, IBrad and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 7 Old 5 Days Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Nice video Paul.
if Craiganderson4's friend is not convinced by that then they deserve a ford. %^)

2016, 150 V6 TDI.
Tow bar but no other extras.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 2 Days Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiganderson4 View Post
What the! Perhaps they don't deserve a Touareg!
Shame some folks have no clue about its capability
post #7 of 7 Old 1 Day Ago
Touareg Guru

If they are too stupid to work it out for themselves then leave then wallowing in their ignorance!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode