New Tyres - Michelin Latitude Cross - Club Touareg Forums
 9Likes

post #1 of 54 Old 07-11-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
New Tyres - Michelin Latitude Cross

Decided to try a Michelin all-terrain tyre. I wanted the same size as my Pirelli Scorpions which have worked very well.... 265/60 R18, however Australia only has the 255/55 R18. So after a negative asking the local tyre dealer and Michelin Australia if they could get the 265/60 R18 Latitude Cross for me, I decided to look at other options. And as much as I would prefer to support local business, I purchased 5 x Michelin Latitude Cross 265/60 R18 from the UK, couriered by FedEx economy and with strip/fit/balance costs added, I came up $155 better off (or the identical price fitted and balanced if I had bought the smaller 255/55 R18 tyres here). Quite amazing.

Pirelli Scorpion ATR versus Michelin Latitude Cross
* very noticeable handling difference in how better this tyre turns (caught me by surprise how much sharper/easier it turned on a tight corner I regularly drive)
* comfort is probably a little better, but marginal
* noise is just audible, whereas the Pirellis were quiet (the noise is not obtrusive, but on most road surfaces just audible - concrete highway seems quieter?)
* yet to test wet weather and offroad - will give an update soon.

The Michelins are supposedly very good in the wet. My Pirellis were good until recently, now with the tread depth half worn.

Cheers Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Touareg with Michelin Latitude Cross 265 60 R18 - 11Jul16a-r.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	886.2 KB
ID:	153425   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Touareg Tyres - Michelin Latitude Cross 265 60 R18 06Jul16b.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	509.6 KB
ID:	153433  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Touareg with Michelin Latitude Cross 265 60 R18 - 11Jul16b-r.jpg
Views:	1087
Size:	753.7 KB
ID:	153441  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 07-11-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 Hybrid
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Wonder if you're noticing the improvement in turning because your comparing s new tire to your old tire. New to new comparison may be different. I say that because I felt my new tires were amazing but after a few hundred miles the feel "normal".

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 54 Old 07-11-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

That is very likely as the Pirellis have certainly lost some grip as they have worn down. Also, the Michelin is around 10-15mm (1/2in) wider on tread width touching the bitumen (same size tyre, but more contact area on the road).
post #4 of 54 Old 07-11-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V10 TDI
It seems a few manufacturers do the same thing,start off with softer rubber and lots of sipes but change to a harder compound half way down and the sips all worn off so no squeegee action left. Bridgestone Dueller were (are still?) absolute mongrels for it and would become serious fun (or life threatening in some situations) in the wet once down to half. Yokohamas much the same. Michelin not so much, they seem consistent down to the wear bars. John
paulm57 likes this.

'08 R50 Biscay Blue, RNS510 sat.nav+camera, electric tailgate, tow bar
The Following User Says Thank You to schootsie For This Useful Post:
paulm57 (07-13-2016)
post #5 of 54 Old 07-11-2016
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
As a side note, I really like the black window trim on your Touareg...is that stock or DIY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Aluminum Pedal Covers | Warning Triangle | Euro Mats | Auto Hold Switch
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
post #6 of 54 Old 07-13-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by schootsie View Post
It seems a few manufacturers do the same thing,start off with softer rubber and lots of sipes but change to a harder compound half way down and the sips all worn off so no squeegee action left. Bridgestone Dueller were (are still?) absolute mongrels for it and would become serious fun (or life threatening in some situations) in the wet once down to half. Yokohamas much the same. Michelin not so much, they seem consistent down to the wear bars. John
John, I didn't know of that. I thought the loss of grip may be a combination of loss of sipes and maybe ageing of the rubber (actual road wear can age the rubber, thus reducing grip). Tread depth wasn't the problem as the tyres still have 5-6mm remaining and the traction loss happens on a wet road with no standing water (so it's not aquaplaning). Cheers Paul.
post #7 of 54 Old 07-13-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher View Post
As a side note, I really like the black window trim on your Touareg...is that stock or DIY? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you mean the window glass tinting? I had the windows tinted by a third party when I collected the vehicle new. Cheers Paul.
post #8 of 54 Old 07-13-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V10 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm57 View Post
John, I didn't know of that. I thought the loss of grip may be a combination of loss of sipes and maybe ageing of the rubber (actual road wear can age the rubber, thus reducing grip). Tread depth wasn't the problem as the tyres still have 5-6mm remaining and the traction loss happens on a wet road with no standing water (so it's not aquaplaning). Cheers Paul.
Hi Paul, generally if you look closely at the tread rubber you will notice a distinct change in texture and feel. At about that time is when they become super slips on damp roads, not necessarily water covered. It is usually about half way down so if new tread depth was 10mm, it will become exciting at about 5mm give or take. Just my observations over many years and lots of different tyres.John
paulm57 likes this.

'08 R50 Biscay Blue, RNS510 sat.nav+camera, electric tailgate, tow bar
The Following User Says Thank You to schootsie For This Useful Post:
paulm57 (07-15-2016)
post #9 of 54 Old 07-13-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by schootsie View Post
It seems a few manufacturers do the same thing,start off with softer rubber and lots of sipes but change to a harder compound half way down and the sips all worn off so no squeegee action left. John
This makes some sense. I recently replaced 2 Pirelli Verde half worn tyres (about 5mm tread left) because there was what looked like "pealing" of the rubber. The manufacturing must have been faulty at the change in rubber type interface. Pirelli paid for half the cost of the tyres plus the fitting, balancing and wheel alignment.

Interesting point, the Pirelli rep said that the tyres have a circumferential conductive strip approx. at centre of tread width which he said it was to dissipate static similar to the strip of rubber that dad had attached to the back bumper of his old FJ. You can't see this strip (about 5mm wide) on a new tyre but if you look closely on one that's done a few Kms you can see a difference in colour/texture.
paulm57 likes this.

Ewhen

2010 V6 TDI, RNS510, Reverse camera, Tow pack, Memory pack, 9W7 BT. Paddle Shifters, Silver Leaf - Anthricite
When's the last time you did something for the First time?
post #10 of 54 Old 08-03-2016
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
How are the Michelins going Paul, any offroad experience, especially in the mud?
My contis are on last legs so looking at replacing and Michelins are high on the list

V8 TDI R line MY15, White with Panoramic roof, VW towbar and the lot.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Phatbox, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode