Engine Fault Workshop - R5 TDI - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Community Forums > Club Touareg Region Directory > Australia & New Zealand

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 05-28-2011   #1
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Engine Fault Workshop - R5 TDI

Got the following error message today while out driving - the glow plug light came on and started flashing, the message "Engine fault Workshop!" started flashing in the MFD along with a chiming sound. Came home opened the bonnet and nothing unusual visually or smell. Left the car for 5 minutes and then had another drive for about 10 minutes with no error coming up. Any suggestions as to what may be happening?

Old 05-28-2011   #2
Touareg Mechanic

you could do basic things like trace glow plug wires to a connector and check this... ie unplug/plug. if glow plugs are not working next cold start may see cranking for more time then you will know if glow plug(s) not working...

Toyota Rav4 Cruiser
1954 Beetle
P76 Yup Neil, a Leyland P76

Retired:
Turbo Beetle 1.8 (retired)
Beetle 2.0 IKON (retired)
2011 FJ Cruiser (retired)
09 Pajero DiD "shorty" with double D's (retired)
07 Pajero 3.2 DiD (retired)
R5 Egg (scrambled and retired)
matthew@f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011   #3

Have you scanned for the error code? I had that symbol when I had a shudder issue, and I was told the error code was an intermittent fault of a fuel relay (apparently, coil and fuel will throw same code), replacing the relay didn't fix my problem, I'm guessing the shudders probably shook a relay loose temporarily.
Old 05-29-2011   #4
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Mine did this a while ago. The warning goes off when you turn off engine, only to reappear after about 20km driving. In my case it had to to with "PDF fluid". See thread on same issue on forum.
V10 MY08 Black Magic, 18" wheels with 255/60R18 Conti A/T tyres, sunroof, OEM towbar, reversing camera plus, RNS 510, leather trim, heated seats/mirrors, air suspension, black piano ins, brake contoller, UHF(Icom 440), HF (Icom 706), low range, bonnet protector, headlight protectors.
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011   #5
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Really Good Outcome from Dealer

The car went in about 3 weeks ago for the service and to have a look at my problem. They said "fault is way down the list and we have cleared it and it has not specified what the problem is" OK took the car home and no problems until last Sunday we decided to take a drive up central coast way got onto the freeway and bing same warning came on, pulled over turned off to reset warning and continued on 2 minutes later same thing pulled over reset and started again, this happened about 5 times in total every 2 minutes all the time also going into limp home mode (we had no place to turn off or around so we had to continue on). Got to the mooney mooney bridge and we were able to turn around then the engine light came on... Headed back home with the fault still coming on every 2 minutes until we got off the freeway again. Made it back home without it going off again (engine light stayed on though).

Took it into the dealer first thing Monday morning for them to have a look at and fix, heard back Monday afternoon to advise that the DPF has blown up! They said they were approaching VW on my behalf for a Goodwill claim 3 months out of warranty. I pointed out that for the last 6 to 9 months I have reported excessive smoke and the DPF doing weird things. I said how much if I have to pay and I was advised $4,025, nurse was called and after several cardiac shocks I was revived. Found out Wednesday morning VW had agreed to cover 100% parts and 30% labour phew - $194.00 in the end.

A big thanks to VW and my dealer for coming through on this one.

Carson
Old 07-14-2011   #6
Touareg Addict

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Yes, VGA will look after you, post-warranty with their goodwill program (within reason) if you abide by some guidelines.

Get the services done by a VW dealer.
ANY faults/warning lights - always report them to the dealer.
Ask for "Goodwill Assistance" if you feel the problem is unexpected. The dealer should support you if the problem is genuine.

It's worked for me on the hatch struts and worked for Hoodie with the DPF. An extended warranty is not the only solution for 'freebies'.

- 4xmotion 3.0 V6TDI - never missed a beat.SOLD - 04/2012
A truly great vehicle!!!! replaced with Passat and Navara
2007 - VW Crafter 3.5 MWB 2.5 TDI (Steinbauer ECU). German build.
2006 -
VW Caddy 1.9 TDI 6-spd manual...retired. Polish build.
2009 - VW Caddy Maxi 1.9 TDI DSG, Polish build,
2011 - VW Passat 125 TDI Highline DSG..... German build. Runs on fumes.
2012 - Navara D22 2.5 TD dual cab, chipped +400nm, 3" hi-flow exhaust, 3" lift (boat tractor). Jap build.

OILSLURPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014   #7

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Engine Fault Workshop

I have a 2009 Touareg TDI that just had the 'glow plug' symbol appear along with the "engine fault workshop" warning. Has anyone related that to just a cold start? The temps by me are in the single digits with a negative wind chill. Or have several people come to the same or similar conclusion/response from the dealer etc...?
Old 02-26-2014   #8
Touareg Enthusiast

G'day
I'm curious; Hoodie, how many k's on your car? Well, on the DPF anyway...
And same question for you YokoDave....
Regards
Kevin
Old 02-26-2014   #9

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
I have 75K on mine. I actually just got it back from the dealer after getting the AdBlue (DEF or DPF) tank heater replaced. That's an entirely different story, but did more or less just happen with the severe cold we have experienced.
Old 02-27-2014   #10

Touareg: 2008 V10 TDI
Hi just to let you know I had the same symbol and message come up last June just two days after buying my v10 2008 the garage topped up the adblue then it was gone
My v10 would drive for about 10 mins the message would appear along with a chime they reckon if you keep using it it will and it runs out when you stop you won't be able to restart the treg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.