• 1 Post By Owen Hammond
  • 1 Post By Patr80l

post #1 of 10 Old 04-17-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Garage
Camp fridge setups in T2's

Hey all,

I'm currently looking around for suitable camp fridges for the back of the Treg. Looking to downsize our existing Waeco CF80 into something that will fit lengthwise in the back. Looking at specs I think the maximum Waeco may be the CFX50 (W661 x H471 x D455)

Can other members confirm what fridge model & size they have successfully mounted in the back of a T2? Looking through some threads I've only seen a handful of images. Pictures of peoples setups would be appreciated.

Cheers & thanks in advance,
Owen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-17-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Hi Owen,

No pics I'm afraid but most of the fridges in the back of a Touareg I have seen have been an Engel MT45's.

I do have one and originally had it on a fridge slide but found that the slide took up a bit too much room so now carry it without the slide, easy to get into even for those vertically challenged so now there is an upright full size spare wheel on the other side and some useful carry space between the two where I carry a couple of plastic storage boxes.

Have you addressed the issue of a second battery to power the fridge for any extended period?

TonyB

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White, Enhancements: RNS 510 Nav + Bluetooth, Twin Batteries, Paddle Shifters, Steinbauer Power Module, Seikel Suspension, Fumoto sump valve, Custom underbody alloy protection, 18" Road Tyres, 17" ATM Off-road Tyres, 3 X Full Size Spares, OEM Roof Bars, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF + Roof Mounted Antenna, Great White LED Light Bar, Brembo 6 Spot 17Z Front Brake Upgrade .
post #3 of 10 Old 04-17-2017 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafarer28 View Post
Have you addressed the issue of a second battery to power the fridge for any extended period?
Looking at 2nd battery in spare wheel well

post #4 of 10 Old 04-17-2017

Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Steve_L Send a message via Skype™ to Steve_L
We have a Waeco CF50. Fits length ways (from back seat to tail gate) 'just'. You can remove either handle (or both) to give yourself a bit of breathing space.

Dimensions W630 x H480 x D360 mm (W760 mm with handles)

I anchor ours with a carabiner tethering strap to the handle and then the OEM anchoring point (plenty to choose from in a T2).

I also have 2nd battery under the spare 'wheel' with 2 x continuous power supply 12V sockets added to compliment the OEM 12V socket in the back.

2007 Touareg MY08 V6 TDI - Atacama Grey (Beige Trim) Tow Pack, RNS510, 9WZ, Tint, V10 Exhaust Tips, Bilstein Sports Shocks, King Springs

2008 Golf MKV R32 (Deep Blue) 5dr, DSG, RNS, Sunroof, Carbon Fibre Rear Diffuser, Drilled/Slotted Rotor, Neuspeed F/R Swaybars, Unibrace, W.A.L.K., Tyrol-sport Chassis bolts, 9W2, Polar FIS+

2010 Polo 6R (Flash Red), 77TSI, 5Dr, DSG, Sportspack, MDI, RCD510, GTI grill, 9W7

2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (waaaay too many mods to list here) - The Mile Muncher
post #5 of 10 Old 04-17-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Thought you may be looking at that as well as it's obviously more important than just fitting a fridge.
I have attached a couple of old pics of my set up, which will still enable the OEM spacesaver spare to sit on top if need be, however you will also need to fit (in addition to adequate sized fused cables from the start battery) a DC-DC charger to control the way the second battery is charged and isolated once the charge stops when you stop the vehicle.

TonyB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Second battery install 009 (Large).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	175610   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2756.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	613.5 KB
ID:	175618  

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White, Enhancements: RNS 510 Nav + Bluetooth, Twin Batteries, Paddle Shifters, Steinbauer Power Module, Seikel Suspension, Fumoto sump valve, Custom underbody alloy protection, 18" Road Tyres, 17" ATM Off-road Tyres, 3 X Full Size Spares, OEM Roof Bars, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF + Roof Mounted Antenna, Great White LED Light Bar, Brembo 6 Spot 17Z Front Brake Upgrade .
post #6 of 10 Old 04-17-2017
Touareg Mechanic

BTW, I also have added a dedicated connector wired direct to the 12V second battery into which I plug a 80w solar panel which charges the aux battery which is running the fridge for extended periods (days) without the need for the vehicle to be turned over.

post #7 of 10 Old 04-17-2017 Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for looking out.
Coming from the 80 series its all a new process in finding out a) whats available and more importantly b) what will actually fit when speccing up the treg for some weekend touring.
Steve_L likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-17-2017

Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Steve_L Send a message via Skype™ to Steve_L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Hammond View Post
Thanks for looking out.
Coming from the 80 series its all a new process in finding out a) whats available and more importantly b) what will actually fit when speccing up the treg for some weekend touring.
you've come to the right area for ALL the answers.

Many of us have (in one form or another) upgraded/customised/modified our Touaregs to meet our needs and demands.

Keep asking...we're all here to help (including NoobyToogy)

2007 Touareg MY08 V6 TDI - Atacama Grey (Beige Trim) Tow Pack, RNS510, 9WZ, Tint, V10 Exhaust Tips, Bilstein Sports Shocks, King Springs

2008 Golf MKV R32 (Deep Blue) 5dr, DSG, RNS, Sunroof, Carbon Fibre Rear Diffuser, Drilled/Slotted Rotor, Neuspeed F/R Swaybars, Unibrace, W.A.L.K., Tyrol-sport Chassis bolts, 9W2, Polar FIS+

2010 Polo 6R (Flash Red), 77TSI, 5Dr, DSG, Sportspack, MDI, RCD510, GTI grill, 9W7

2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (waaaay too many mods to list here) - The Mile Muncher
post #9 of 10 Old 04-20-2017 Thread Starter

Garage
For future benefit of others - both the CFX-50 and CFX-65 Waeco/Dometic Waeco models will fit (with handles fitted) lengthwise in the back with the Cargo screen/barrier removed.

Waeco branded (old style)
CF60: W630mm x H580mm x D360mm - not tested but should fit judging by space available around CFX65
CF50: W630mm x H480mm x D360mm (including dometic CF50) - Fits as per SteveL's post

Waeco/Dometic Waeco (newer styles)
CFX65 / CFX65DZ: W725mm x H561mm x D455mm (includes handles, 661 without handles) - FITS
CFX50: W725mm x H471mm x D455mm (includes handles, 661 without handles) - FITS

Dometic Waeco CFX-50 & Dometic Waeco CFX-65 shown below.
CFX65 also shown end on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4133.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	393.6 KB
ID:	176050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4135.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	176058  

Name:	IMG_4137.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	378.9 KB
ID:	176066  
post #10 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Mine
Fridge drawer.
wigdog likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Patr80l For This Useful Post:
Owen Hammond (3 Weeks Ago)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode