2008 TDI - Warning Light ... then ... silence ! - Club Touareg Forums
 16Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
2008 TDI - Warning Light ... then ... silence !

Hi Guys, just sitting in the Service lounge a a dealer 100kms from home and have time on my hands !

Was heading up to the Sunshine Coast this morning ... the Workshop warning light came on, along with the Glowplug light, the warning beeping noise ... what seemed like an engine limiter (engine got very sluggish).

As I was on the highway ... I limped along for a further 3-4km ... then the engine died ... and hasn't looked at starting since.

RACQ to Cricks VW in Maroochydore. Sigh ...

Figured that whilst I wait for (hopefully) a mechanic to see me (it's Saturday Morning and apparently they only do "services" on Saturday) ... I'd let you guys know what's happened to get some potential advice on what it could be ?

Thanks

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Hi Steve, bugg*r. Not far away so if you are stuck, maybe can help out.
Let us know how you're getting on. Cheers, Dub
ps will PM you my phone no.
smclaren likes this.

MY16 V6 TDI (180kw) Light Silver
20'6" Sunland Patriot off-road caravan

Sold...MY08 V10TDI - Galapagos Anthracite Metallic, Sioux Napa Leather, Piano black inserts

Sold...MY08 2.0TDI DSG Golf
post #3 of 37 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Hi Steve, cross fingers and hope like hell that it's not the dreaded HPFP failure.

Did you fill up somewhere today prior to the problem?

Not looking good but best of luck.

TonyB
smclaren likes this.

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White, Enhancements: RNS 510 Nav + Bluetooth, Twin Batteries, Paddle Shifters, Steinbauer Power Module, Seikel Suspension, Fumoto sump valve, Custom underbody alloy protection, 18" Road Tyres, 17" ATM Off-road Tyres, 3 X Full Size Spares, OEM Roof Bars, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF + Roof Mounted Antenna, Great White LED Light Bar, Brembo 6 Spot 17Z Front Brake Upgrade .

post #4 of 37 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks TonyB and thanks for the call, Jeff/Dubby.

I've had to leave the vehicle with the dealer for the weekend ... no mechanic available to look at it until Monday.

Big shout-out to VW Cricks Maroochydore though for lending me a brand new Amarok as a loaner (which they bloody well should based on the $$ spend with them servicing my Honda Accord for 6 years). But seriously, was very good of them to do so, so I could get home easily.

So now we wait to see what the issue is, i guess. Any ideas in advance will be very appreciated.

No Tony .. nope, I didn't fill up prior to the trip.

Steve
post #5 of 37 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
Hi Steve,

Hope it works out to be something minor. However not trying to upset your day. but of the last three HPFP failures I have heard of, all have been 2008 models. If it turns out to be so, could you check out the part number off the original pump please? Have a look at your HPFP and see if the part number ends in the suffix "AN" ( Part number 059 130 755 AN ), as the three that I know of that have failed have that model pump. As does mine !!

Wishing for the best.

Stuart...
Steve_L and smclaren like this.

2008 V6 TDI, with the following Retrofitted Items:
ACC, Front & Side Assist, Paddle Shift, Towbar & Trailer Module, Fiscon Bluetooth. Reversing Camera, Front Fog Lamps, Redarc TowPro Brake Controller, T1 Door Warning Lamps, T1 Under Seat Drawer, Alloy Skid Plate, 5ton Winch, Cayenne Front and Rear Sway Bars, Tuned by Oettinger, Retrofitted 6 Piston Brembo Front Brake Callipers, Sports Steering Wheel, TPMS (OEM), Dual Batteries
post #6 of 37 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
I haven't been able to convince myself to buy anything else and Mi_eg extended warranty runs out in sept.
Posts like this send cold shivers… hope it turns out well
post #7 of 37 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V10 TDI
Hi Steve, something of a pain in the proverbial backside. Like Dubby, but even closer to Cricks and also equipped with Rosstech to run some diagnostics which is totally useless to you now as the vehicle is all locked up till Monday, but here if you need me. I know the guys there reasonably well (been a pain in the a..e often enough now) and generally they are pretty good at diagnosing. Do you have any extended warranty or are you at the mercy of "THE TECHNICIANS"? It almost seems like a DPF issue but that doesn't tend to cause a no go issue that suddenly, so maybe it is the common rail pump playing up. Keep us posted. PM sent with phone # if you feel the need. John

'08 R50 Biscay Blue, RNS510 sat.nav+camera, electric tailgate, tow bar
post #8 of 37 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks John ... yes, it's me vs "THE TECHNICIANS" at this stage.

I agree with you ... the fact the vehicle died with any mechanical clanging would suggest a electronic issue ... but we'll see on Monday. Hopefully not a major (holding breath)

I'll let you know how it turns out ... and do appreciate you dropping me the PM.

Cheers

Steve
post #9 of 37 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

You guessed it .. its the HPFP .. damn it !

$3.5k.

Ouch ouch ouch !
post #10 of 37 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Bad luck Steve but all the indicators pointing to the HPFP were there.

It sounds as though the HPFP didn't implode based on the repair cost you were given so seems you were lucky in an unlucky way as if worst case occurred you may have been looking at possibly 2-3 times that cost.

Good luck with the repair.

Tony

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White, Enhancements: RNS 510 Nav + Bluetooth, Twin Batteries, Paddle Shifters, Steinbauer Power Module, Seikel Suspension, Fumoto sump valve, Custom underbody alloy protection, 18" Road Tyres, 17" ATM Off-road Tyres, 3 X Full Size Spares, OEM Roof Bars, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF + Roof Mounted Antenna, Great White LED Light Bar, Brembo 6 Spot 17Z Front Brake Upgrade .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« 7P muffler design | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode