17" wheels on a MY17 (20" wheels OEM) - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 26 Old 02-15-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
17" wheels on a MY17 (20" wheels OEM)

Hi,

My MY17 V6 TDI came with 20" wheels as standard.

a) Can I legally, in Western Australia, fit 17" wheels for going on road trip?
Someone has sold me that I can legally only go 2 sizes different from the stock size, which would limit me to 18" wheels.

b) Is there any physical constraint that would stop me putting 18" or 17" wheels on there? e.g. size of brake disks etc?

c) Anyone in WA got any wheels with usable tyres they want to sell before I hit up gumtree/ebay/wreckers?
I am not doing any serious offloading, just gravel/stone track, and I don't particularly want to tear up the 20" tyres and wheels. Some extra side wall would also be nice.

Ta

Andy

(Sorry if this has been covered before, I did try to have a search of old threads)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-15-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Check the user guide that came with the vehicle.
I suspect 17 inch are listed. If not then a difficulty but I am confidence they will be listed for the following reason - this being that snow chains can only be fitted to 18 and 17inch rims on my 2013. They cannot be fitted to 20 inch.

So you are going to need snow chains right

Seriously there has been discussion on this. Search will find them. I run 17inch with Nokian Rotiiva 235/65R17 AT tyres for the above reasons.

Edit found the thread: A/T Tyres for MY16 Touareg

MY13 V6 TDI 4Motion
Previous: BMW X3 3.0d, Subaru outback and the odd Alpha.
post #3 of 26 Old 02-15-2017

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Andyo,

I purchased 4 x 17" Tacoma (I think it was) from eBay (from Sydney) and put Falken Wildpeak 255/60/17 A/T's on them. Rolling diameter almost the same to the mm as the stock 20" rubber.

150TDis had them as standard fitment at first before they went to the 18's.

Admittedly there's not a lot of room between the front brakes and the inner surface of the wheel and you'll have to be careful sticking on the wheel weights, but I have had them on when doing the powerline track towards York (see another of my earlier posts) and apart from getting a little mud in between the brakes and the wheel which made a bit of a squeal until it fell out, no issues with pebbles, rocks, usual Aussie outback bulldust and "marbles" etc.

Should be fine. Hope that helps

Andrew

2014 V6 TDi 4xMotion. Down under, in Perth, Western Australia.

post #4 of 26 Old 02-15-2017 Thread Starter

Hi,

Thank you both for your quick replies.

I have found a set of 5 x 17" wheels with usable/trash-able tyres for $800 (5 = a full size spare). The tryes on them will leave a 3% speedo difference (100 indicated will be 97 over the ground), but I can live with that until I put on a new set of tyres, on at which point I can get it to almost mm perfect to the 20" tyres.

I will check the manual just to make sure they are listed for the vehicle to keep things legal, and unless they have increased the size of the disks on the MY17 (which I doubt because everything else seems the same), it sounds like everything should fit OK.

Cheers

Andy
post #5 of 26 Old 02-15-2017
Touareg Guru

All the wheel (17, 18, 19, 20 and 21 inches) and tyre combinations offered on the Touareg by the factory over the years run out at 29 inches overall diameter give or take a fraction.

It's generally accepted that 31.5 inches is about the maximum OD that will fit the Touareg wheel arches - if local laws allow - though some folk have gone slightly bigger.

Standard sizes for 17 inch wheels for the T1 and T2 were 235/65/17 108XL loading and 255/60/17 106 loading.

The T3 and T4 are a couple of hundred pounds or so lighter so the loading rating may be slightly different - as in lower - but you won't go wrong with the above.

If you have 5 wheels don't forget to rotate on a regular basis to keep the tread depth even across all five tyres.
post #6 of 26 Old 02-15-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
All the wheel (17, 18, 19, 20 and 21 inches) and tyre combinations offered on the Touareg by the factory over the years run out at 29 inches overall diameter give or take a fraction
The Stock 20" tyres are 274/45/R20 for a circumference of 2220.0mm
The 17" wheels I have found have 236/65/R17 for a circumference of 2151.0mm (3% difference)
If, once I trash the tyres that are on the 17s, I replace the 236/65/17 with 236/70/R17 then I end up with 2217.0mm and (0.1% difference from stock)

Happy days
post #7 of 26 Old 02-15-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Hi Andy, suggest you do some sums before comitting to purchasing.

If you want to stick to no more than the OEM tyre sizes you can go also with a 245/65-17 (750.2mm OD) or if you want to go a little bigger (15%) and still be legal everywhere in Australia under the 15% max increase tyre size increase rule you can do 255/65-17 (763.2mm).

You could go even bigger legally if your current model Touareg is classified as "MC" (4WD), I don't know if the classification has been changed from the T2's with low range as they are classified as MC's but don't know if the T3's, 8 speed without low range are still being classified as MC.

TonyB

TonyB

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White, Enhancements: RNS 510 Nav + Bluetooth, Twin Batteries, Paddle Shifters, Steinbauer Power Module, Seikel Suspension, Fumoto sump valve, Custom underbody alloy protection, 18" Road Tyres, 17" ATM Off-road Tyres, 3 X Full Size Spares, OEM Roof Bars, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF + Roof Mounted Antenna, Great White LED Light Bar, Brembo 6 Spot 17Z Front Brake Upgrade .
post #8 of 26 Old 02-17-2017
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyo View Post
The Stock 20" tyres are 274/45/R20 for a circumference of 2220.0mm
The 17" wheels I have found have 236/65/R17 for a circumference of 2151.0mm (3% difference)
If, once I trash the tyres that are on the 17s, I replace the 236/65/17 with 236/70/R17 then I end up with 2217.0mm and (0.1% difference from stock)

Happy days
Tyre sizes, apart from the hole in the middle for obvious reasons, are nominal.

A 235/65/17, for example, can vary in OD depending on the type of tyre by quite a bit and that applies even to different models from the same manufacturer.

It is always best to check ACTUAL OD for tyre you are interested in.

I find the tirerack site in the US has comprehensive specific size data and weights.
Greg..S likes this.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-17-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post

I find the tirerack site in the US has comprehensive specific size data and weights.
I have been using this site ETyreStore Home - Welcome To The Revolution
post #10 of 26 Old 02-17-2017

Touareg: 2005 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyo View Post
Hi,

Thank you both for your quick replies.

I have found a set of 5 x 17" wheels with usable/trash-able tyres for $800 (5 = a full size spare). The tryes on them will leave a 3% speedo difference (100 indicated will be 97 over the ground), but I can live with that until I put on a new set of tyres, on at which point I can get it to almost mm perfect to the 20" tyres.

I will check the manual just to make sure they are listed for the vehicle to keep things legal, and unless they have increased the size of the disks on the MY17 (which I doubt because everything else seems the same), it sounds like everything should fit OK.

Cheers

Andy
Just a thought... make sure that the 17" wheels you are looking at aren't off an R5 2.5Tdi.... the PCD is different (5x120) and they won't fit your car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode