Club Touareg Forum banner

What to do with a full size spare??????

65K views 116 replies 38 participants last post by  majida 
#1 ·
There are pretty much two options.

1) Throw it in the back. This option sucks for cargo though.

2) Pony up the cash and get a roof top basket.

Lately the full size spare has been in the cargo area and it sucks. I was just about to buy a Yakima Megawarrior to throw up top and hold the spare but it just seemed like a was of money. Especially since I already have a Yakima Cargo box. Then I thought to myself. The spare wouldnt be so bad in the back if there was a shelf on top of the tire. The cargo area would be a lot more useful if there was. So off I went to Home Depot. About 60 bucks later I had the shelf.

One sheet of 3/4" particle board, 4 - turnbuckles, some carpet, some random eye/hook screws, and thats all it took. The tire will be secured with a couple ratchet straps and as you can see in the pics, the shelf is secured with the turnbuckles to the same tie down points. Turned out real nice. Plenty of room now to throw the few things inside (ice chest) that I dont want on top in the box. Looking forward to the first camping/wheeling trip to test it all out.

See less See more
#110 ·
Ok so you're in the Fall or after a nice big shower and get a flat, you're going to heave that muddy, somewhat ovoid shaped 70 pound contraption into your vehicle next to whatever else you have in there at the time without getting it wet and grimy?

Hmmmm

siberian

#112 ·
Ok so you're in the Fall or after a nice big shower and get a flat, you're going to heave that muddy, somewhat ovoid shaped 70 pound contraption into your vehicle next to whatever else you have in there at the time without getting it wet and grimy?

Hmmmm

siberian
If they had shown you the next EKTA page you would have seen the VW Touareg monogrammed carbon fibre cover for the dirty wheel together with the monogrammed kid leather gloves at $199.00 and $79.00 respectively and freely available from your friendly dealer.

There is also a wheel lift kit for those with a bad back for $1999.00 that goes through the ski hatch and takes up some of the rear seat space.

#113 ·
I guess if I get a flat I'm going to have to heave that big, heavy, dirty wheel into my vehicle. Right now I only have the collapsible spare. :D Although I do take your point that an exterior mounted spare (and storage for a dirty flat) will keep my vehicle - and maybe me - cleaner. The PIA factor though comes in when I don't have a flat and I need to access my cargo, two or three times (and maybe more) per day. I would not want a hitch-mounted spare holder. For me, if the spare is being carried outside, then I'm going to get a basket for the roof. Unfortunately, that keeps me from seeing out my nice panoramic sun roof!

#114 ·
I guess if I get a flat I'm going to have to heave that big, heavy, dirty wheel into my vehicle. Right now I only have the collapsible spare. :D Although I do take your point that an exterior mounted spare (and storage for a dirty flat) will keep my vehicle - and maybe me - cleaner. The PIA factor though comes in when I don't have a flat and I need to access my cargo, two or three times (and maybe more) per day. I would not want a hitch-mounted spare holder. For me, if the spare is being carried outside, then I'm going to get a basket for the roof. Unfortunately, that keeps me from seeing out my nice panoramic sun roof!
I have found the vertical spare inside the car doesn't use too much room. Our dog hasn't complained about lack of space yet :). As for the factory external spare I believe that would be a real pain to have to swing aside (especially on an uphill slope) each time you want access to the trunk.

My previous 4WD was a Toyota Prado (Lexus in the USA) which had the spare mounted on the side opening rear door. Not only did the above PIA comments apply but when towing a trailer the door couldn't be fully opened as it hit the trailer tow hitch. For this reason I agree on the roof is better than swung at the back but I prefer inside the car if possible.

But for us in Oz, any inter-city or outback trip really does require the carrying of a full sized spare to be safe. I just see the space-saver as the second spare.

#116 ·
I've got the same problem. Spare takes up too much space in the back.Planning a 6 month trip so need the space. Bought a rack, but is damn awkward/heavy to get it up & down strap in etc. Surely someone in Europe has something like a swing away that could be mounted to the towbar through the tow hook access. Include a camera extension, number plate setup etc. I would pay big bucks to get something decent that still allows me to hitch up a van
I have seen a dual hitch ex USA that works but not suited to the 2011/12 models with that ridiculous vertical setup. If anyone knows anything let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.