Appropriate discussions for this forum include:

Off-Roading
Trails
Trail Guides
Trail Tips
Trail Discussions
Towing Issues
Towing Questions

and anything else that relates to Off-Roading and Towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-11-2008

Greetings!

I bought a used 2004 Touareg, and dealer said he could put a tow package on it which included a brake control system for the 19' Airstream I bought but haven't picked up yet. The Airstream dealer said that he would do it if my Touareg dealer couldn't.

After a week of trying, the dealer's subcontractor (local) says he can't do the brake controller. Because the Airstream dealer is fuzzy about how much time will be involved in the brake controller installation (he's never done a Touareg either), the Touareg dealer can't make a deal with him for the money he's got ($700). Everyone seems nervous about the digital nature of the electric sensing system, but I'm sure it's based in having never done one of these before.

Currently, the subcontractor is taking off the tow bar and returning the vehicle on Monday to the dealer. The dealer is telling me he may not have a way to put the package on it at all. I seem to be caught between a dealer with limited dollars to spend, and a mechanics who can't be confident.

Can anyone provide me or these contractors with instructions on how to put a brake controller in with a tow package, or lead me to someone who can do this?

Gregory Fearon
gfearon@sonic.net
post #3 of 7 Old 05-27-2010

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
hey everyone am new here, i am looking at installing a hitch on my 07 touareg. i have a hitch from curt hitch now i am looking for the trailer wiring harness. i am basically looking to pull just a simple utility trailer so just looking for brake lights to function and turn signal, where can i buy the required wiring other than from the VW dealership? i am based in toronto canada so if anyone know any good places that i can get parts from would be greatly appreciated i trieda couple of US sites but the dont ship to canada. thanks

post #4 of 7 Old 02-20-2012

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
gfearon,

Why not try a wireless brake controller. I have one, it works great and it allows friends whose vehicles may not have a brake controller installed to tow the trailer as well.

Also, make sure that the ECU settings for towing are set to "North American" as mine weren't and it caused many a headache.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-20-2012
The Moderator!

Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchor5 View Post
gfearon,

Why not try a wireless brake controller. I have one, it works great and it allows friends whose vehicles may not have a brake controller installed to tow the trailer as well.

Also, make sure that the ECU settings for towing are set to "North American" as mine weren't and it caused many a headache.
I would hope by now he got his issue resolved since he posted it back in 08. Since there were only 2 post ever made by him I would hazard a guess he is not a very active member anymore either.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-20-2012

Second Vehicle: Other
Oops

Guess I should check dates before posting.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-24-2016

Touareg: 2007 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Hi,

I bought 2nd hand 2007 V8 T1 and he's my weekend buddy for more than a month and doing some extreme sand dunes driving and camping at the beach every weekend.
The performance is absolutely impressive even with the stock tires (255/55r1 yet it never failed me.
I am one of the lucky person to given a chance to drive the "Touareg" and able to test his power in off-road driving.

So for those who own the "Touareg", never miss the chance as our reg is built for the toughest driving that's why it was name "Touareg".

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode