Club Touareg Forum banner

Want to build up my V10. Looking for ideas on Rims and Tires

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike N 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 2006 V10 tdi that I am looking to build up into my off-road rig. It has the air ride suspension so that part is obviously fixed, but the main thing I am looking to do now is rims and tires. I would like to get a beefy looking 18in gun mental gray rim with some MTr's but are unsure of the dimensions needed for the car. Just looking for people with experience in these volkswagens. I had a great tacoma rig but have always liked these. Thank you so much in advance!

#2 ·
31 1/2 " is as large as you go with out spacers. That gives you a 265/60/18 tire. I run the Dynapro Hankooks in that size and like them enough I'm getting a second set this week. Good deal mounted up under$200.

#4 ·
Few guys here have 285/60r18 with 5mm spacers in front.
I run Nitto Terragrappler in 285/60/18 on my 2007 V10 TDI. Yes you need minimum 5 mm spacers on the front for the tire to clear the upper ball joint and you need to move the plastic inner fenders forward towards the intercoolers to stop the tire rubbing. The intercoolers mount to the front support with 3 bolts and 3 spacers. If you reverse two of the spacers the intercooler will 'pivot' away from the tire by about 3/4". I used tie wraps to pull the plastic inner fender towards the intercooler providing the needed clearance.

#6 ·
I run 255/60R18 General Grabber AT2s on my Touareg. They are 5% taller than stock but the same width and I have not had any rubbing issues. These tires are more aggressive than the factory tires but I have not found them to result in any handling quirks, just a little added road noise.

I had the factory rims powdercoated bronze and really like how the combination turned out.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.