V6 Towing - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #11 of 23 Old 03-29-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
26,000 rpm? Did you put a gas turbine in that thing?

I just towed a relatively light trailer through the hills of Vermont and just let the transmission do its thing. It was pretty seamless, no need to take over manual control or do anything different. This was with a TDI, but the transmission is the same and I see no reason it wouldn't do its job just as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 03-29-2016

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
2600 obviousely . You can't compare TDI with gas. You probably have almost twice the torque of my V6 FSI at same RPM.
post #13 of 23 Old 03-29-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
With the 3.6 I towed with the old six speed. Flat was hunting between sixth and fifth with any change in slope or wind (2,000 to 3,500 RPM depending on speed).

Climbing steep mountains could at times result in the direct drive gear ratio-which is third on the six speed...this allows enough power to accelerate up just about any grade (without going crazy because you don't want too high of RPM).

Most climbs were in forth, but would gradually loose speed and have to down shift to accelerate back to 50 mph...we are talking 8% grade here, so pretty steep...also lots of curves so you can't go much over 55 with trailer as some corners are rated at 45 mph.

Whatever direct drive on your transmission is would be the worst case gear if you need power to climb.

The 3.6 did pretty darn good for a six gasser. We now tow with a 4.2 v8 fsi and cruise up the same hills in fifth and fourth...but with a heavier trailer now.

post #14 of 23 Old 03-30-2016
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifa View Post
2600 obviousely . You can't compare TDI with gas. You probably have almost twice the torque of my V6 FSI at same RPM.
Don't over think it. Just put it in D and it'll be fine.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
post #15 of 23 Old 08-29-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegelglatt View Post
With the 3.6 I towed with the old six speed. Flat was hunting between sixth and fifth with any change in slope or wind (2,000 to 3,500 RPM depending on speed). Climbing steep mountains could at times result in the direct drive gear ratio-which is third on the six speed...this allows enough power to accelerate up just about any grade (without going crazy because you don't want too high of RPM). Most climbs were in forth, but would gradually loose speed and have to down shift to accelerate back to 50 mph...we are talking 8% grade here, so pretty steep...also lots of curves so you can't go much over 55 with trailer as some corners are rated at 45 mph. Whatever direct drive on your transmission is would be the worst case gear if you need power to climb. The 3.6 did pretty darn good for a six gasser. We now tow with a 4.2 v8 fsi and cruise up the same hills in fifth and fourth...but with a heavier trailer now.
Spiegelglatt, your tow experience sounds similar to mine with the v8 fsi. I cruise the flats in fifth for the most part around 65mph, and drop to fourth as needed and even third on the steeper climbs trying to maintain just under 3000rpms at whatever speed. Only concern I have are my oil temps, anywhere between 240 and 270F when towing. Do you recall what you see?
post #16 of 23 Old 08-29-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
I don't remember seeing it above noon (about 250)--just got back from a trip yesterday and I remember noting that it climbed really fast (from cold).

However: I am at a low elevation (highest pass is someplace around 2,000 feet above sea level), this might be a reason why yours is higher as I only tow around Oregon and the Oregon Coast (we love the beach). Higher elevation would mean lower boiling point and thinner air...both of which would make your engine work harder and run warmer.
post #17 of 23 Old 09-05-2016

Touareg: 2014 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Old heap
first trip with a gasser

Just returned from the first trip with the gasser (and wife)

20 ft grey wolf BH17
CVW at 10140 so loaded trailer scaled at 5240 (car weight 4900)
11500 on odometer (broke in yet?)
60 to 70 mph
841 miles on 4-lane through Ozark hills between elevations of 240 to 1500 ft.

9.9 MPG overall

I worked with several combinations including cruise in drive and cruise in manual mode.

I did find that the cruise in manual acquired the best MPG's by shifting earlier than the auto mode would. But I was letting the speed drop some to max MPG's and did not think about the temperature issue.

In drive with cruise the mileage was far better that anything I could do with my foot but the shifting to 4th for the large and long hills was giving me anxiety.

The worse conditions I experienced was the head wind. That was almost a deal breaker for me. I would not expect a comfortable trip west on I40 against that prevailing wind as I would need to climb in elevation through NM and AZ. (HP Loss = (elevation x 0.03 x horsepower @ sea level)/1000)

The big surprise was that during the last 200 miles I drove without the sway-bar and did not feel a nickles worth of difference. The car is solid!

Comments welcome...

My two favorite subjects are politics and religion, just ask my two best friends (a dog and a cat). I don't have any real friends because. . Well my two favorite subjects are...
post #18 of 23 Old 09-06-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
I wouldn't fear high RPM'S in the VR6, I had mine above 4,500 RPM and perhaps even higher for long periods of time (an entire climb).

If you want better mileage you have to slow down I am afraid. I ran one trip in the middle of the night (I was the ONLY person on the road) at 45mph versus 60mph and my mileage was over 12.5 MPG!

Or point her into the head wind with the cruise on and the radio up and just watch the gas gage go down, down, down. In the end it is designed for it...it is a proper tow vehicle and the VR6 is a really bullet proof motor, it just screams when it needs max torque. A TDI would do way better but cost more and have more issues...my 3.6 (now my daily) is nearly 95k and has had zero engine or emissions issues since new, plus it has been in front of three travel trailers and countless other heavy trailers.
post #19 of 23 Old 09-06-2016

Touareg: 2014 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Old heap
Thanks for the reassurance, I was kinda hoping that the low mileage was going to yield a MPG or two as it gets higher.

I may be looking at Florida this winter as the next trip if the wife can get past the Zika fears. That will be a lot flatter most of the way.

One last question Spiegelglatt, Have you changed oil more often since you have towed so much?

My two favorite subjects are politics and religion, just ask my two best friends (a dog and a cat). I don't have any real friends because. . Well my two favorite subjects are...
post #20 of 23 Old 09-06-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
I have increased the interval to every 6k. Interesting note is the oil used to by honey colored for a very long time after change (for many, many oil changes), then I did (recently) a Chevron Techron fuel cleaner (the black bottle I think it is every 3k recommended) and the oil instantly turned black...right after a change too...so the cleaner cleaned up something. Going to have to change it again I guess. The factory 10k (or whatever it is) is something I couldn't get comfortable with.

Changing the oil yourself is a breeze, but the cleanup is horrible--it is hands down the messiest oil change I have ever done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode