Club Touareg Forum banner

V6 towing 1500 pounds- An OK idea?

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Baltimore Touareg 
#1 ·
After doing some research on here, I have a question about towing with the V6. I'd mainly be hauling a trailer with a couple dirtbikes, maybe a quad, total weight would not be over 1500 pounds. Now, I know that all models are rated for 7700+ pounds, but I'm wondering with a trailer as light as mine, would I need the air suspension? Tongue weight would obviously be pretty low, but I'm wondering how sensitive the steel rear suspension is and if the air should be a prerequisite for my Touareg.

Another option I've thought of is one of the hitch-mounted motorcycle carriers, when I'm "flying solo" and don't have the trailer. That I think would need the air suspension, since it would put about 325 pounds hanging out on the hitch. What do you think?

There was a post on it a while ago here: http://forums.clubtouareg.com/ftopic1214.html However, that's with a streetbike, and I've got a 250-pound dirtbike. Still think it might be detrimental to the Treg's health?

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Matt

G
#2 ·
Matt, towing 1500lbs with the Touareg V6 is a walk in the park. You absolutely do not need to have air suspension to tow, and I doubt that your trailer puts enough weight on the tongue to noticeably raise the nose of your Touareg.

However, I suspect that by adding the hitch mounted carrier would complicate matters and raise the Touareg nose, but probably not by enough to worry. Can you get a carrier that you can 'test drive'?

#3 ·
Wow, forgot to login for that last thought. I'll see if we can't get the owner of the board to turn off anonymous posting privileges.

#4 ·
Hi Aircooled,

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to forget about the carrier and just use a small trailer instead. Less stress on the Treg that way, and less worries about the weight issues.

Thanks again!
Matt

#6 ·
Thanks for all the input. I've officially moved the air suspension from the "gotta have" list to the "desired" list. This will probably make it easier (and more affrodable) when I go out to get my new Treg.

Thanks,
Matt

By the way-nice trailer David!

#7 ·
Towing with a V6, aftermarket Hitch, Brake Controller

You were asking about towing capacity of V6. I have been towing a dual axle, hydraulic dump, utility trailer with my V6 Treg and aftermarket (Hidden Hitch) hitch and brake controller.

It has towed a wide range of building materials for me quite capably. Acceleration is a bit sluggish, but handling is exceptional on highway with the trailer. On the highway I am able to pass cars with ease and often forget that the trailer is there, especially when loaded.

I inadvertently towed 7500 lbs of gravel in the trailer recently for a total gross weight of 8700 lbs. While it was sluggish, the vehicle handled the load in "foothills". Now that I know that 3 cubic yards of gravel=7500 lbs, I won't be doing that again.

Although the vehicle handled well, with moderately high revs(4500-5000) in low gear (2nd) going up hill.

#8 ·
Yeah, Towing with V6 is certainly not a problem. I like the Air for off road and for loading. Not necessary, but VERY handy. Nothing beats blocking the trailer, disconnecting everything and just lowering the Touareg to disconnect :)

You also won't have much problem with the trailer hitch mounted shelf. I put 300 lbs on my hitch shelf and the air suspension didn't have to react at all really. I suspect that steal springs wouldn't have a problem with this either. Worst case, put a friend in the passanger seat or try a spring helper.

#9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, but this is an old post. I've already done all the above. ;)

1500-2000 pounds: No big deal at all. On a mountain pass it drops to fourth gear and runs up the hill, no problem.

With the dirtbike carrier, it's about 300 pounds hanging off the tail, and you have no idea it's there. I do worry about overstressing the hitch mounting points when on a bumpy dirt road, due to the added leverage of the carrier length vs the ball mount, but so far so good. :dance:

Oh, and all of this is without the air suspension.

Matt

#10 ·
Hey, I'm in the same poisiton as Matt. Got a ATC all aluminum enclosed 5x8 which I am about to tow from GR, Michigan to Jennings, FL for a 2,400 mile round trip. The only towing I've done besides this is a small boat or jetski 30 minutes to the lake. Steel suspension touareg with aftermarket hitch.

I picked my trailer up yesterday, and driving it empty(1000lbs), I got 13 mpg instead of my usual 19 going 70mph. I noticed when I kept it in drive and cruise control on, the car kept switching gears all the time. It'll be fully loaded with another 1000-1500lbs this weekend when I leave(totalling 2000-2500lbs). Any advice you guys could give a new tow-er?

Also, the hitch makes so much noise when driving with the trailer, what can I do to help this?

#11 ·
I would under normal circumstances never tow with cruise control.
Weight not a factor.
Noise goes away when you load your trailer. When hauling empty, you can acquire anti-rattle aftermarket gear (etrailers.com, for example) if so desired.
Yep you're dragging a giant brick, so your mpg will be affected.
Anticipation counts for a lot when towing...keep momentum on your side and avoid the need for hard braking or hard acceleration (to pass).

Touareg is a very capable tow vehicle. Have a fun trip.

#13 ·
I tow a pontoon boat which is like pulling a billboard down the road. I DO use cruise control a lot but control shifts via tiptronic:

6th gear....rarely or downhill

5th gear....normal terrain with small hills

4th gear....uphill or normal grades

You mileage is going to really suffer no matter how you drive it.

You should have absolutely no problem pulling 2500-3000 lbs

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.