Club Touareg Forum banner

Trailer Vag-com coding

15K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  vw151 
#1 ·
I recently installed a Tekonsha P3 brake controller, but do not own a trailer yet. I will be pulling a friends in a few weeks so I wanted to check to make sure it works. So I also bought the Tekonsha 6562 trailer emulator/tester.

After further reading I found that the LED lights on the emulator don't have enough resistance to tell the Touareg that a trailer is attached. I've read that there are 2 solutions. 1 buy an adapter that has resistors built in, or 2, have the dealership recode the computer for use in the united states as the fancy trailer sensing stuff is due to EU laws. None the less I found this link

VW Touareg (7L) Trailer - Ross-Tech Wiki

It shows that I need to change the coding for the trailer module from

000001 to 000002

What I've found is that is in the equip # part and is greyed out, it is in fact 000001.

My long coding is
020D000000000000

What do I change in the coding to make the trailer coding USA spec so it does not need resistance to detect a trailer.

Lastly, if I make this change will it make the tester work?

See less See more
#3 ·
I think you need to look for a different coding from Ross Tech

The link you put up is for a 7L Touareg.
By your profile you have a 7P so the coding may well be different.
Check under 7P coding or email RossTech help for assistance.

#4 ·
An email has been sent to ross-tech. I'll report back what I get. I have done a decent amount of searching and can't seem to find anything regarding the T3s other than "I took it to the dealer and they reprogrammed it"

If a thread already exists with the coding please let me know.

#5 ·
Well, the good news is, I found a trailer to test with and the brake controller does seem to be working properly. In other words it's sending voltage to the brakes.

I'm still working with Ross-Tech to learn the coding change I'd have to make to set the trailer module to North America. Currently I have sent them an Auto-Scan on debug level 2 and sent the scan and all of the PLB and PLA files that were generated.

#6 ·
Hello Joe,

Thanks for the maps! They should help improve future VCDS releases. If you would like to view them feel free to open the PLA and PLB files with spreadsheet software such as Excel -or- in plain text format using Notepad.

This vehicle uses PR code: 1D6 - Trailer hitch but the only other recent inquiry Touareg I can think of in the Retrofits sub-forum was this one:

2013 Touareg trailer hitch install, coding

That was a US market vehicle .... but his concern wasn't related to LED trailer lights. Please feel free to join and post in our forum, someone there may be able to offer some additional suggestions based on personal experience.

We do not have a coding chart or label file to offer you but the new Touareg is extremely similar to the 2011+ 4G/4H chassis Audi models which were built off of the 2009+ B8 A4 (8K/8T) platform. For that reason I compared your factory coding (020D000000000000) to every similar Audi coding chart and believe tweaking to coding to 010D000000000000 should be RoW market specific.

I don't know if that will resolve the LED trailer light concern and/or cause fault codes elsewhere in this vehicle but it is worth a shot.

Best Regards,
Dana

I got this reply from ross-tech today. I'll try it and see what happens.

#10 ·
The people from Ross-Tech got back to me and could not find anything for this specific chassis. But they found some coding for an Audi that looked the same. This screen shot is from the Audi

None the less, using NA or RoW coding doesn't seem to make my trailer emulator work. The people at Ross-Tech said not to use the AUS settings.

#11 ·
The people at Ross-Tech said not to use the AUS settings.
That would be because you would need to be standing on your head :D

Seriously hope you get this sorted. You may just have to get an actual trailer hooked up to get it working and not just the emulator. I think that is the impression I have gained from other posts on here anyway.
Best of luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.