Club Touareg Forum banner

Trailer towing advice please

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  hedditch 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 X TDi edition with a towing package standart. We want to rent a trailer several times this year so we can decide if we want to own one. I found a really nice one that weighs 6500lbs. I know the car has a 7700 tow rating but i am not an experienced gear head so i am a little scared....what do you guys think? I live salt lake city and will take it to Zion national park so there will be shbstantial hills. Also the rental company will include an equalizer hitch??? Am i freaking out for no reason or should i take a trailer thats 4700lbs instead?

#2 ·
Alen - Just a couple of things to consider:
1) You will certainly need an electronic break controller - either hard wired or a Prodigy RF unit.
2) You will need to watch the hitch weight they lowered the hitch weight to 616 pounds on the T3 from the 770 on the T1/T2. Many of the travel trailers in that size range have a hitch weight approaching 1,000 pounds. Some can be found within your spec but you need to be careful even with the distribution hitch.

#3 ·
Thank you for your advice. I was reading into it a lot last night and am more informed now. I think 6500lbs would not pose a big problem for the beast but I decided since I am a newb to all of this I will rent the o e that weighs 4700lbs and be worry free. I can always upgrade to the bigger one Next time. And next year if we decide to buy our own I might just get a nice used truck for a heavy trailer.

#4 ·
I tow lighter trailers with boats,so my experience is different. I will tell you that you will press your rig going up mountain roads with that weight level. My TDI will shift gears going up hills towing 3500 lbs,not that it doesn't handle the job well,BUT double that weight,I wouldn't do often if it was my TREG. The brakes are a absolute necessity for safety.

#5 ·
If you are only doing this as a "one-off" event, I would be reluctant, as you have indicated that you are a little unsure of yourself. Towing with that sort of weight, needs proper preparation of both the vehicle and the driver. I would recommend that you have your vehicle properly fitted with electric brakes and associayed saftey equipment such as weight distribution hitches ( if steel suspension). And get some miles under the belt before getting into mountainous terrain. If you are inexperienced, things can come unstuck in a bloody hurry towing a heavy trailer.

Mind you the Touareg will have little difficulty with the load you are suggesting. I have a Caravan which is 21 ft long and about the same weight, and the Treg hardly feels it.

Kind regards
Stuart..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.