Club Touareg Forum banner

Trailer Control Module sourcing

18K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  Perry01 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where I can buy the trailer control module on-line? The one that goes in the trunk passenger side by the CD changer?

I have a 2004 Touareg V6 if that matters.

7LO 9907 383 seems to be the part number, but with different letters, not sure if it matters for the year of the car.

Thanks!

#2 ·
#6 ·
#15 ·
Can anyone tell me if this is the right module, ound this one on eBay but the p/n is different than all the threads I read except the part listed in the quote below. Also in searching Google all I get is the Trailer Control Module and no application guides etc. Would love to pick it up for this price but obviously don't want the wrong module.

Genuine Volkswagen Touareg MK1 02 10 Control Module Trailer 8E0907383C | eBay

Going to install on a '04 V10

#7 ·
Thanks! This sounds like a decent route to go then. The hitch I believe has all the wiring that goes back to the unit, so all I need to purchase after this is the brake controller and maybe a plug converter for the hitch wiring I believe.

#9 ·
Yep, A lot less second hand from Germany, I paid 39 Euro for mine

#12 ·
Thanks again for all your help on this.

I picked up a used G unit for 70 euros from ebay and should get it late this week if things go well.

I got the hitch with 12mm bolts and wiring harness for $50 and will pick that up this week. Need to order the 14mm bolts. Other than the brake controller, just need to figure out what size travel trailer I want to tow.

#13 ·
Oh, in case anyone was wondering, I could not find the difference between the G L and N units, however I found this "recall" to replace older E models with G version since the older ones can not be flashed with newer firmware. It is dated 9/12/2005. I would have like to have the N but paying $300 to $400 didn't seem worth it.

--------------------------
Effective immediately, when you are installing trailer hitch kit #7L0092101U, please inspect the control module that is included in the kit. If the part number 7L0907383E appears on the control module, you need to order in a new replacement control unit 7L0907383G with hardware code (HW54) and Software (SW088). The newer index “G” part number does not require flashing.

The reason for this requirement is that With the Base CD 7.01(or higher) level for the 5051 the flashing of the control module in accordance with TB Group:01 Number: 05 -12 Date July 27. 2005 is no longer possible.

#14 ·
Seemed a little strange, installed my module and the fuses were already there (2004 model).

The 30A fuse was a 25A in that place, I bought the car new, so I know someone else didn't do it.

Anyone know why this was?

Also I thought I saw that flashing the module took care of some LED trailer light issues, but I can't find that post again. My software rev on the sticker matches what I see in vag-com, all I changed was the coding from 1 to 2.

#17 ·
I was reading on another post that the three plugged model controller is for a retractable tow hitch. a la Porsche Cayenne But I could be wrong... I'm trying to figure this all out for my 05 V6 with OEM 7 pin harness on a Curt hitch. No controller installed.

#21 ·
I was just about to order the P3 when I saw this post come through... damn I'm in Canada and my dealer doesn't have access to this. Bugger! Anyone want to buy me one in good faith? I'm an honest Treg guy, honest! :)

#25 ·
Thanks for the heads-up Still Lost - deal of the decade. Thanks for sharing. Does anyone know if the OEM controller does all the good stuff a P3 would mostly do? Progressive braking, handle more than on axle etc?

#27 ·
Yes that is correct. The OEM module vs. the aftermarket option. What are the pros and cons (besides the obvious - no additional wiring etc for an OEM install). I was just wondering about the feature set of both. The P3 seems to have a lot of 'goodies'. Obviously the P3 can be transferred to another vehicle if you wanted.

#29 ·
Dang that's why its so expensive for a tow package!

Oooh I see :-k - well that changes things then. I mis-understood then from another post I had in the forum, that if you had a P3 and the OEM hitch harness only you got the lot. Lights, brakes and everything. But from what you are saying that is indeed not the case... :shock: That's the bit I was having brain tease over.

Best I order my P3 then... And here I thought I was going to have enough money this summer to buy a new set of rims and tires.... bugger! Maybe I should have stuck with the flat 4 pin setup. Brakes are over rated anyway... :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.