Club Touareg Forum banner

Towing Camper Trailer

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  AKHLNK 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 TDI and I am thinking of getting a camper trailer that weighs around 5500 pounds. Has anyone else towed something similar and if so what do you think.

#2 ·
I have a 2012 tdi also. I tow a travel trailer with a dry weight of 4600. It tows effortlessly. I wouldn't hesitate pulling something heavier too.

Look through the towing forum and you will find lots of examples.

#4 ·
I towed my 24ft travel trailer weighing about 5500lbs. I got the touareg for this purpose and while i wasn't worried about the weight, my concern was the short wheelbase. Thought the long trailer would be pulling me all over.

I did not use a WD hitch (read you are not supposed to because of the receiver being bolted to the end of the frame). and I had absolutely no problems. Went up and down hwy 17 to Santa Cruz (very twisty and narrow) and it towed better then my full size yukon did.

Cant comment on V6 TDI mpg but my v10 was getting about 15mpg instead of the usual 20mpg i get.

#5 ·
Is that 24 ft without the hitch or all inclusive? My trailer is 20 ft but 24 with hitch an bumper.

I am aware of the recommendation not to use WD. VW Canada say it is not a problem but I will still get in reinforced. Last fall I tried the 2014 model with and without WD and the WD makes a big difference in the handling. With WD I could not tell I was pulling the trailer.

#7 ·
Fuel economy has more to do with the aerodynamics of the TT than weight only.

I pull a 23' TT and I get 13,5 L/100 km avg. (Gulf Stream VISA 2013)

I do use a WD without any problems. Even if my TT weight is only around 3,600 lbs, the tongue weight when loaded in +/- 650 lbs (TT with only 1 axle).

#8 ·
I get around 15 on my 2012 TDI. My TT is 26 feet and 5500 dry. If I am in a hurry, my mpg drops very fast. This is about 65 on the interstate. Pretty flat. It's tough because the speed limit here is 75 (Nebraska), so it's tempting to go faster.

I do use a WD hitch - it just rides better and I feel safer. I also use a prodigy rf wireless brake controller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.