Club Touareg Forum banner

Towing 5,400 max - WDH

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Ebg18t 
#1 ·
I am looking at purchasing the new 2015 Touareg TDI exec line. I currently own a Kodiak 2001QB with a weight of 4,000 pounds. The max GVWR of the trailer is 5,400 pounds which would probably give a tongue weight of about 600 pounds.

I tried the trailer with a 2014 Touareg with and without using the weight distribution. It is clear that to have a good driving experience you need the WDH. The 2015 manual still advises against this type of hitch and the information received from the dealer is that it should not be an issue.

I could get the hitch reinforced by Can-Am in London Ontario but was wondering if anyone has any experience with a trailer this size without getting the hitch reinforced. Cost of getting it done is not bad but the travel is 700 km one way.

#2 ·
We have a Kodiak 177QBSL. It weighed in at 3900# with propane, battery and our basic stuff. I figure we add another 300# of stuff when we go places. We do not keep any water in the tanks. My tongue weight was only ~350# though (~75# more that quoted). I do use a WDH from Blue Ox w/ 350# load bars, although I probably should have gotten the 550# bars. It towed awesome with the coastal winds over thanksgiving. I would encourage you to get an accurate tongue weight and see if you can shift any weight inside the trailer.

#3 ·
The Kodiak 200QB has an advertised tongue weight of 314. When you add the battery, the 2 30 pound propane thanks plus all the other stuff it goes up quickly. The problem with the Kodiak is that all t he storage is in the huge Pass Through storage at the front. I did make it to the scale when I got most of the stuff in the trailer. The weight of the trailer was 4,760. Fortunately the additional weight I had to add, some food & a bit of water in the tank, was all located over or behind the wheels.

#4 ·
I agree with the front storage spot hurts the tongue weight. I did just realize that my wife does keep about 10-15 gal of bottled water in the rear cabinets. She is always afraid we will run out of bottled drinking water. That will help offset the tongue weight some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.